Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #19
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
The thing about a clay bar is that it pulls the contaminants out of the paint. Kind of like a little dirt magnet. The picture of my hand holding the clay gives an idea of what is on the paint. Most of the crud came off the horizontal surfaces like the roof, trunk lid, etc. So if you don't want to spend a ton of time with a clay bar, just do the top surfaces and don't worry about the sides. Using the wash bucket with soap and water is a good idea, but I would recommend washing the car first, then get a clean bucket of soapy water so you don't get dirt particles from the dirty water back on the paint.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #20
raz1121

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
the longer you go without clay barring the car the more stuff that will get into the paint. I reccomend doing it like twice a year or something depending on how much you care. Also never do any buffing without claying the car first otherwise it can pick up those particles and scatch the paint. i also agree claying when washing is much faster and saves your quick detailer although you should make sure you use a clean bucket and fresh soap
raz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 AM   #21
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
This is all very good advice especially the wash, claybar, then wash again. Like many others here I prefer meguiar's and mothers products for exterior care. I recently waxed my car with the nxt 2.0 and then it started to rain here for the last 5 days. The nxt pwned the hell out of the rain throughout the 5 days of down pour.

As for interior care I use Turtle Wax Ice Total Interior Care. This stuff doesnt leave any film or nasty stuff, it just cleans very well. Just keep in mind not to get wax on the black plastic bits outside the car as it will make them white/faded. I tried to soap and rub the wax off them when I got some wax on the black parts, but it was a no go. So I tried the turtle wax interior care on it and it made it pure black again like new. Hope this helps you.

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #22
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
The thing about a clay bar is that it pulls the contaminants out of the paint. Kind of like a little dirt magnet. The picture of my hand holding the clay gives an idea of what is on the paint. Most of the crud came off the horizontal surfaces like the roof, trunk lid, etc. So if you don't want to spend a ton of time with a clay bar, just do the top surfaces and don't worry about the sides. Using the wash bucket with soap and water is a good idea, but I would recommend washing the car first, then get a clean bucket of soapy water so you don't get dirt particles from the dirty water back on the paint.
+1, I agree that you have to do a 2 stage wash + claybar.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #23
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Good stuff in here, thanks guys!

tomato is offline   Reply With Quote