Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #37
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Who do you think you are talking to? You have logical argument? You make me laugh so hard I bust my kidney, little boy - getting too big for your pants, little boy.
You have a speck of knowledge but not enough to be anywhere near expert in field of tribology. BITOG are rank amatures and full of misinformation. If you think this is good site you have been fooled. Spend seven years at University maybe you have some more knowledge.
Little Girl, not once have you rebuttaled my posts with counter arguments.

Instead, you do what all people do who are ignorant, and who hate to admit stupidity, failure, and that's to character-assasinate the other person.

So go outside and drive the car your daddy or BF gave you, little girl...this site is for grownups.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #38
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
You're not still using the 0w-20 that is not SPEC'D for our Yaris 1.5L, are you, just because you found that viscosity listed in that Toyota TSB that you found...if you read it clearly the 0w20 is for the 1.8L, not the Yaris 1.5L
The engine damage isn't a fair trade for a little extra mpg.

5w-20 yes, 0w-20 no
Read the web sites of Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum, and all the major brands that make 20 weight oil, and even read the labels on their bottles:

"0w-20 wieght oils can be used in any application that calls for 5W-20 weight".

At operational temperature, BOTH 0w-20 and 5w-20 provide the EXACT SAME viscosity. How come you don't understand this?

And where is the engine damage you write of when using 0w-20? MANY UOA's show there is no more wear then if 5w-20 were used.

It seems you have the habit of talking out your a$$. ;-)
Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #39
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Both are okay, if you don't mind the extra noise with 5w-20. To me extra noise = extra wear.
Your opinions lack scientific bases, and you use "noise" to determine wear?

People that go to college and learn science know that actually using highly controlled and scientific tests, like a used oil analysis to ascertain wear is far more conclusive.

And if you use noise to decide, did you run your car in a sound studio, and monitor the noises with fined tuned computer monitors? Did you do before and after tests?

Did you graduate from highschool?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #40
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas View Post
Wear metals in testing do go up for me with 5w20, best results with 0w30.
Not true in every case, every climite, every season.

The wear numbers I get using 0w-20 versus 0w-30 are the same.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #41
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
everyone just use what you feel comfortable with . For me , 5w-20 . 5w-30 . No need for insults .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #42
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post

Sorry SGlow, you are loosing your argument. If You like oil so much maybe you can be YarisWorld mascot? This might be Good:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dipstick.jpg (3.8 KB, 70 views)
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #43
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Read the web sites of Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum, and all the major brands that make 20 weight oil, and even read the labels on their bottles:

"0w-20 wieght oils can be used in any application that calls for 5W-20 weight".

At operational temperature, BOTH 0w-20 and 5w-20 provide the EXACT SAME viscosity. How come you don't understand this?

And where is the engine damage you write of when using 0w-20? MANY UOA's show there is no more wear then if 5w-20 were used.

It seems you have the habit of talking out your a$$. ;-)

Luser, what part of the Toyota TSB do you not understand? It states do NOT use 0w-20 in the 1.5L

And check these oil threads over the last day or two, I read today where a Yaris owner switched from 5w-30 to just 5w-20 and got back a UOA that had extra wear metals.

Don't know why you keep pretending that what applies to the XD 1.8L applies to your Yaris 1.5L when Toyota's TSB specifically forbids 0w-20 in the Yaris engine...yeah, southern Ca sees lots of really frigid mornings, better use that 0w-20 eventho' the TSB says not to.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #44
1stToyota

Quote:

Don't dispute his UOA, please.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #45
1stToyota

Quote:
Your opinions lack scientific bases, and you use "noise" to determine wear?

People that go to college and learn science know that actually using highly controlled and scientific tests, like a used oil analysis to ascertain wear is far more conclusive.

And if you use noise to decide, did you run your car in a sound studio, and monitor the noises with fined tuned computer monitors? Did you do before and after tests?

Did you graduate from highschool?
Genius, you're the guy that's using 0w-20 in southern Ca, eventho' the Toyota TSB says do NOT use 0w-20 in our 1.5Ls, under ANY condition. See how well your warranty works for you after you inform the service department that you refused to follow the Toyota TSB guidelines, not to mention your owner's manual, provided that you have any future issues with your motor.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 11-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #46
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
its getting hot in here.... id say use the oil you wanna use.. its ur car..u can use cooking oil for that matter..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #47
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
rebuttaled
Hey, SilverGlob. You are a whole lot smarter than me and perhaps the smartest member this forum has ever seen. Since you used the word you are the most qualified person I know to ask these questions. What is the meaning of the word rebuttaled?? What year did the Webster's dictionary add ed to the word rebuttal? I have heard of rebut, rebutted, rebuttal, rebutting, rebuttable, and rebutter but not rebuttaled. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #48
TheSilkySmooth

Silverglow is a troll and should be ignored like most ignoramuses causing trouble and being of no benefit to the forum.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #49
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Silverglow is a troll and should be ignored like most ignoramuses causing trouble and being of no benefit to the forum.
I think his advice on oil is bad. He throws "UOA" around a lot, maybe thinking it'll impress, but goes on to hand out advice about which oil to use, claiming that if 5w-20 is approved for use in our 1.5L, then "UOAs" will show that 0w-20 will work even better in our cars. Most people probably know better than to use a viscosity that isn't listed in the owner's manual or in the latest TSB, but SilverGlow doesn't seem to understand it yet.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 11-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #50
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
I think his advice on oil is bad. He throws "UOA" around a lot, maybe thinking it'll impress, but goes on to hand out advice about which oil to use, claiming that if 5w-20 is approved for use in our 1.5L, then "UOAs" will show that 0w-20 will work even better in our cars. Most people probably know better than to use a viscosity that isn't listed in the owner's manual or in the latest TSB, but SilverGlow doesn't seem to understand it yet.
I agree, re: UOA are not everything. You can still have a massive failure due to inadequate viscosity which would NOT show up on a uoa until the rod is snapped in half or the had bearing seized and spun. And any mechanical engineer or engine machinist worth their salt will tell you noise = wear all else being equal (diesel are another matter). Also engine are designed to retard timing in the presence engine noise over a specific threshold. So thence goes the fuel milage with the water weight oils. I have dsriven fords designed to run on 20W oil and they run fine. I have never seen and engin that will run on a 20W or 30W. The piston to wallclearances are incompatible given most new engines employ slipper-skirt short pistons.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 11-12-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: veruy bad typist
Old 03-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #51
EasyDriver

Drives: 2008 Yaris Meteorite LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I would use a synthetic oil with 5w-20. Usually synthetic protects just as much as the next highest step up of organic oil while giving you the benifits of a lower viscocity such as increased gas milage.

My brothers toyota had same amount of engine noise at idle as mine. And when he put in amsoil high performance oil. He said his car never has idled smoother. All the sound went away. And it feels like the car has more power on the freeway. It could all be in his head but i can say it does idle very smooth and its quite as a mouse on idle. I am very anxiouse to do the same to my car soon as the engine is broken in in a few more miles.
I see that Advance auto parts has Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic motor oil. The price is good...but is the oil any good?

Has anyone tried this particular oil?
EasyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #52
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Hey, SilverGlob. You are a whole lot smarter than me and perhaps the smartest member this forum has ever seen. Since you used the word you are the most qualified person I know to ask these questions. What is the meaning of the word rebuttaled?? What year did the Webster's dictionary add ed to the word rebuttal? I have heard of rebut, rebutted, rebuttal, rebutting, rebuttable, and rebutter but not rebuttaled. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Rebutter

How about: rebutterable, rebuttering, or rebuttabler.

yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #53
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
Show me the Money, I mean results,LOL.

QUOTE=SilverGlow;167511]Not true in every case, every climite, every season.

The wear numbers I get using 0w-20 versus 0w-30 are the same.[/QUOTE]
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote