Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
la_scanner

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Okay ill try to help you best i can. P0420 id say 75 percent of the time this code is on for any car that comes into my shop it means the catalitic converter is bad. other 25 percent it is a o2 sensor. If you want to try to diagnose this yourself you would need a scanner even a cheap generic scanner that shows live data. You should be able to see o2 sensor voltage before the cat and o2 sensor voltage behind the cat. If the voltage is the same than more than likely the cat is to blame.

If you want to test the o2 response you can introduce fuel into the system and see if the o2 responds by spiking the voltage. You can do this with propane gas entering the intake you should see the mixture go rich and the fuel trim start to max out. Or if not available you can try carb cleaner.

If the o2s respond properly then the cat is the problem.

Anotherway to test the cat is purchase a pyrometer. It shoots a beam and measures the temperature of whatever it is aimed upon. Measure the temperature before the cat and after. The exhaust gas as it enters the cat gets heated up to burn off any unburned fuel in the combustion chamber. Usually the temperature is 100 degrees hotter exiting the cat. If the temperature is the same both inlet and outlet or is even cooler in the outlet then you know for sure the cat is bad. A cheapo pyrometer could run you around 40-50 bucks same as a generic obd2 scanner.

If you find out the case the cat is bad which it probally is after thourouly reading your post then i would say take it to a muffler shop and make sur eyou get a OBD2 CALIFORNIA APPROVED catalitic converter. I would try replacing the main cat first and leaving the precat alone. Then clearing the code and see if the light stays off.

After reading your othe rposts. I dont know why your mechanic would suggest a coil. Unless your car is missfiring with a blinking check engine light. You have no coil problems. Plus any decent mechanic should know how to test coil winding resistance to verifiy if it needs to be replaced or not.

What i would reccomend is putting a can of seafoam in the gas tank. As well as running a can through a vaccum line through the intake. It has cleaning properties which will clean the tips of the o2 sensors as well as clean the cat of debri.
Hey, why can't your shop be closer to me dammit! maybe i should exchange my code reader i got at sears and get a better one that does the live data. i bought the innova 1003 b. also i know for sure that check engine light has never blinked.
la_scanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_scanner View Post
Hey, why can't your shop be closer to me dammit! maybe i should exchange my code reader i got at sears and get a better one that does the live data. i bought the innova 1003 b. also i know for sure that check engine light has never blinked.

Hmmm the scanner i use the most is the craftsman one just because its so fast and has live data capability with emission monitors. And go back to the shops snapon one if i need to do abs or some manufacture specific testing.

this is what you need.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/U381-LIVE-DATA-S...3A1%7C294%3A50

56 bucks and can do nearly everything a professional scanner can do.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote