Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Blowtorch

Drives: 2009 Yaris, Silver Sedan
Ignition locks?

I've had my Yaris for almost 3 weeks now. It's growing on me, but something that has happened about 3 or 4 times is that the ignition seems to lock sometimes. I put the key in, and forwhatever reason, the ignition absolutely will not turn. After a couple of struggles, it goes, except one occasion where it wouldn't go until after a few minutes of continued trying (while at the same time, trying not to add unnecessary stress cause I don't want to damage anything).

I imagine I should take it in, but does anyone know anything about this or had experience the same problem?
Blowtorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
:S
this has never happened to me ......
you mean steering wheel lock???

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Wiggle the steering wheel, it'll rotate one direction but not the other a little bit when latched, give a little pressure that direction to 'unlock' the ignition lock cylinder from the 'locked steering wheel' position.

Basically, when you remove the key you enable the steering-wheel lock, which latches with a pawl when the steering wheel turns past certain increments. When you release the steering wheel after that, it will usually return to rest firmly against that pawl, which applies pressure back to the ignition cylinder lock and prevents THAT from turning, so the steering-wheel can't spring around and whack you when you go to start the car.

It's a mechanical stupid-check to force you to have your hands on and applying a little force to the steering wheel when you start the car, basically. :-)
Old 05-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
ya....most cars will do that with a steering wheel lock. if u park downhill n turn your wheels...the steering wheel will lock and it's a pain, but turn in one direction or the other while EASILY turning the key....when all slots are lined up it will turn like butter.

it's a safety thing, and GM has stepped away from it thinkin their keys and security systems will keep the fuel from starting ignition without the key....but that's over-ridden now too. theives will do anything, and can with technology. any way...toyota doesnt use chips in their keys so they still use the wheel lock setup.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
all car does that.. just turn it all the way on one side then turn the key.. keep ur wheel straight so it doesnt lock up when u park.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote