Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #73
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
I agree with altitude on this on. Its just a pendulum swinging back and forth
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #74
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
I write checks, and watch my balances go farther and farther into the negative. lol.
Seriously, this thing NEEDS to have some of those rules imposed on it, like you have to make LESS than so much a year. Also, when they apply for credit, it's not like it USED to be. They do a credit check and an income check, along with a "living expenses" check (how much rent or mortgage is) and then they figure if they SHOULD put you into a vehicle. The banks are MUCH more stubborn now-a-days. I know, I had less income, worse credit, and more debt and got into a more expensive car than what several of my customers have been denied for. The banks are not lending because they are afraid to get burned again, like they did three, and even just one year ago. That's one of the hardest parts about my job, is seeing people get turned away for not making more than a certain amount. Or not having "enough" credit, because they are smart and didn't get themselves buried in it, so they have no real credit score. There could have been so many things done better, but hey, I'm not the one in charge, the guy I didn't vote for is. Thank you everyone who DID vote for him. I owe you one.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #75
aclark246
50 MPG or BUST!

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric81 View Post
There could have been so many things done better, but hey, I'm not the one in charge, the guy I didn't vote for is. Thank you everyone who DID vote for him. I owe you one.
That my friend is the absolutely WRONG attitude. This is freakin' america! Why has everyone forgotten that?! What was the US founded on? The People are in charge! The People have given up their power to the government and I don't think any person has the right to complain unless they have personally taken an initiative. "But Aclark246, I voted, and my guys lost, and I don't have a lobbyist, and I don't have the time or money to try and get my voice heard." Well by george (maybe king...) then I hate to say it but your voice doesn't matter. Do you think the colonies had lots of money or time when they decided to stand up for the principle that their voice mattered? No... no they weren't wealthy, so that is no excuse, and they sure as hell had the same time constraints as you do, if not more seeing as the majority of the colonialists were agrarian.

All I'm saying is, if you are ok with only being heard a few times a year at the local level and every 2 years federally, then do what you have been doing. If you don't like what is happening, or if you just have a good idea for changes or revisions to some policies, say something AND do something. The backbone of this nation is its citizens, shouldn't the backbone of the government be the citizens too? Do something constructive as opposed to destructive. Bickering is just that, but constructive debate is how the early nation flourished and it seems we have forgotten that.

:endtirade:

On a side note, I saw a piece on the news about non profit organizations losing car donations because of the program. Should the policy be changed so that instead of killing the clunkers, they are donated to these groups? No one could sell them back in the program because of the one year ownership thing. Charitable donations thanks to the US government. I think that would at least serve a better purpose. Any thoughts?

(see, constructive debate, once we reach a consensus we will get a YarisWorld lobbyist and have our own interest group. Heck, we already are our own interest group. All we need is to do something...)

Old 08-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #76
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Unhappy

I would like to see something productive like that done with the "clunkers," but as it's been couched in terms of "getting those gas guzzlers off the road," it's unlikely they'll go for it.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #77
aclark246
50 MPG or BUST!

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris Sedan
I thought that the organizations that collect the donated cars sold off parts and just used the money from them? My mother donated an old buick a few years back after it all but died and they said they would just salvage the parts because every little bit helps.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #78
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

I saw an article on the NBC evening news last night: many organizations that depend on the donation of used vehicles are struggling due to this progam

Last edited by Bob Dog; 08-08-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #79
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Removed by poster.

Last edited by Altitude; 08-08-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #80
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Why don't you rip it apart? (If you choose to do so we should probably take it to the political thread)

Check this out before you do though:
There are 2 reasons:

1) as you mentioned already such discussions shouldn't take place here as they'll just end up getting the thread locked.

2) Arguing politics results in absolutely nothing but getting people ticked off at each other. While I completely disagree with you I'll accomplish nothing by going in depth to tell you why I disagree with you. Ultimately, you actually believe what you said and I find it to be a complete joke (and I'm sure you'd feel similarly about my counter argument). I'm more than happy just agreeing to disagree and discussing car related topics

As for the graph, I've been taught statistics quite well and you can make a graph using factual numbers that appears to prove any point no matter how obsurd. So I'm sure the numbers in that graph are true but look a little deeper into the other variables involved in government and that graph becomes irrelevant.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #81
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Deleted my comment.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #82
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

whats all that got to do with cash for clunkers? I believe that stuff belongs in the open political discussion thread in the off topic section.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #83
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
okay... I absolutely disagree that this has gotten anywhere near off subject. It is just what it started as. And I think it is actually HEALTHY to disagree with others, as long as you are not overly angry with someone else's response or opinion. So lets all be calm, and just agree to disagree.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #84
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Oh, political banter. Subscribed, with popcorn.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote