Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
reesesyum

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
Car put in Park while driving

While driving my 08 Yaris (automatic) this past weekend, someone put the gear into park while the car was moving at about 15mph (let's not get into why). The car made some awful noise which I suspect was the parking pin attempting to go into the gear. This lasted for about 10 seconds before I realized what was going on and put on the brakes. The car/shifting is doing fine.

My questions are: Is there any potential lasting damage to the transmission I should be on the lookout for? Is it necessary to have anything looked at by a professional mechanic?
reesesyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
uh, oh.. someone learning how to drive on your car
Sorry I got no answer for you, other than don't feel too bad. I accidentally put my Yaris in the wrong gear (2d) when I drove it back from the dealership while making a turn on the freeway (because I was used to taking that turn in 2d with my previous car) and the Yaris got really unhappy, should probably have been in 3rd or 4th, shifted a little weird for the next couple of weeks after that, but eventually went back to normal. This is manual though.

Anway, don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us
Old 08-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
if it makes you feel any better one of my friends decided it would be a good idea to put his car into reverse while going about 25 mph. it wasn't a yaris but it drove fineish after that. it was damn funny to watch a car go flying by the door with the reverse lights on while going forward.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Christopher
Cobra

Drives: '07 3-door
If it still works ok you'll be fine.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
SaerinRhoe
'09 Yaris

Drives: '09 Yaris
It may not be necessary to have anything looked at by a professional mechanic or the Toyota service department but I'd put the person that did this under psychiatric evaluation.

S.R.

SaerinRhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryota View Post
if it makes you feel any better one of my friends decided it would be a good idea to put his car into reverse while going about 25 mph. it wasn't a yaris but it drove fineish after that. it was damn funny to watch a car go flying by the door with the reverse lights on while going forward.
Most cars (the yaris for sure) won't go into reverse over 10 or so mph. The car just ignores the input. The yaris also will ignore erroneous downshifts(provided your are going faster than the redline of the gear you are shifting into)

Park is a different story though, and if it made a noise I can't imagine anything good happening, especially at 25 mph. If its under warranty I'd definitely take it in, just tell them its shifting funny and you don't know what happened.

If nothing else make sure you always use your parking brake, because that pin will most likely fail at some point now.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
If the pawl still holds the car ok while in park and the tranny otherwise is operating normally you're alright-I'd say you are very fortunate.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
yarr_is

Drives: yaris
It's weird usually the car won't let you go in those gears while moving forward
yarr_is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I've heard it done. The ratcheting noise is the parking pawl skipping over the notch it goes into. FWIW, I've never known of anyone causing serious damage that way.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I've had cars just lock up the front wheels.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #11
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
I like to call it "wheel of fortune".

I never land on bankrupt.....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote