Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
Dust Boots... or lack thereof.

I had a local mechanic install TRD springs this Spring. I noticed that the dust covers have migrated to the top of the struts and are no longer serving their purpose. I wasn't going to pay what the dealers wanted to install these but any damage that results, including but not limited to what has already occurred, wont be covered under the warranty. What should I do?

Cut the boots off and not worry? (what the local and dealer mechanic told me)

Or should I order new boots and have them installed?

I may at some point get some better struts or coilovers but I dont want to unnecessarily and prematurely wear out my stock struts either.

Winter is around the corner and if its gonna be a problem that the strut shafts are exposed, I should probably remedy the situation.

To worry or not. Thats the question.

Thanks in advance.
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Pics would really help out here
Old 10-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
XYaris

I just tried but its impossible to get a shot without the car up on a lift. The boot is basically bunched up right above the silver lip where the strut shaft enters the strut.

The guy at the shop is saying we can try to "pull them down" but they seem to be town at least a little, if not completely wrecked.

He is saying its fine to drive without them and we could just cut them off. Sounds phishy to me.

Did they mess up this install? No one else seems to have this issue. Should I try to get them to replace the boots for me?
Old 10-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
XYaris

Also... I think I can see the bumpstop at the same location (where the shaft enters the strut itself). Isnt that supposed to be at the top??

I really wish I had the tools and space to work on my own car. I probably would have avoided this issue in the first place.

Anyone have thoughts on rolling without boots...
Old 10-18-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Oh, sure, they install the boots for decoration, right? Those boots belong on there to protect the shafts! From what I recall, those shafts are sensitive to salt/corrosion, hence the boots. IMHO, get them in place before winter hits.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
likely bunched up from using an impact wrench to fasten the strut cap and the top nut to the car.....is it all twisted up in there?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
XYaris

The boots are done. They were torn and stuck up underneath the bumpstops. I'm gonna order some new ones online. While the car is apart, I may put in some better/sportier struts from Garm. How much should I blame this shop for the damage?

Its the 'insulator' that I need correct? #14?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Thanks by the way.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
If you're a typical city driver and never drive the car off-road (on a dirt road with lots of sand and rocks and such) and especially if you don't do any ice and snow (road salt!) driving, you don't need shock boots. I live in FL and ran without them on my Miata for years with no ill effects.

However, if you do have to drive in conditions that will expose your shock/strut shafts to a harsh environment, by all means put some good boots on there.

You can get generic boots cheap. From what I hear, 4x4 shops are a good place to look.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
XYaris

Loren, I was hoping to hear from an expert like you. I do live in the northeast, which means plenty of salt. I also head into the mountains for camping and snow sports so I ordered new OEM boots. For 25 bucks Im not too worried.

To redirect this thread a little... Im not gonna have anyone take my suspension apart JUST to put the new boots on stock struts. So what's the consensus on the Tokico Blues?

The reviews online are mixed at best. Some say they blow easily. Some say they dont provide much different dampening than stock. Mind you these are people with different cars but I still worry about the quality (gotta trust those miata guys, right?).

I'd rather pay Garm than toyota for parts so Im thinking of ordering the Blues and a rear sway bar (likely 23mm). I like firm ride so I wanna make sure the Tokicos are what the doctor prescribed.

Aside from coilovers, it doesnt seem like I have much option other than TRD or Tokico for struts/shocks.

Thoughts....anyone...
Old 10-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Tokico also make the HTS for our car they have adjustable dampening and cost a couple hundred more than the blue's
Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
XYaris

The HTS seem great. They seem like they'd allow me to really match the shock to springs instead of hoping the other combos work well.

Question. As far as the spring rates of the TRD's go (they are progressive I know), how much of the adjustment of the HTS will I be able to take advantage of? I suppose if I go to far that I would experience some suspension 'bind' when the springs were outmatch by the damping rate.

Just questioning whether the jump up to HTS from the Blues would be worth it.