Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #19
127.0.0.1
Banned
 
Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NE
Posts: 672
well the problem with ABS is usually solved by

disconnecting abs wires at the wheel

blasting with contact cleaner, maf cleaner, or any other volatile electrical cleaner

filling the connection with dielectric grease. reconnecting. done
Electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
Hard_Yaris
 
Drives: 07 Yaris
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 109
About the cars having this problem where has your car been manufactured?

Japan or Canada/USA Codes on the VIN?
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
Hard_Yaris
 
Drives: 07 Yaris
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 109
filling the connection with dielectric grease. reconnecting. done


Electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated[/QUOTE]

is this a contradicting statement?

Can you please explain how to use the dielectric grease prior to mating?
Did you mean to not have the 'not' in that statement?
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #22
127.0.0.1
Banned
 
Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NE
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Yaris View Post
filling the connection with dielectric grease. reconnecting. done


Electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated


fill the connection but do not coat the contacts. fill everything else.

if you are using 'phone jack installer-grade clear silicone snot' then you can coat everything, but
unless it is that specific goop, do not coat the contacts...just fill it in everywhere
else so dirt and crud cannot get into the contacts
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #23
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 5dr LE (deceased), 13 Soul
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Yaris View Post
About the cars having this problem where has your car been manufactured?

Japan or Canada/USA Codes on the VIN?
Yaris running on North American soil have been manufactured in Japan.
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #24
Hard_Yaris
 
Drives: 07 Yaris
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 109
ok so I use the grease around the connections but not in.

so coat the mated connection with dielectric grease on the outside of the plug?


Oh, so all cars in Canada and USA are made in Japan... seems a bit odd.
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #25
Tamara
 
Drives: 2007 Five door Yaris hatchback
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Trenton, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 4
OK! We need to be stirring the pot with this. I have been in contact with my steal-ership and theyre now offering up 300bucks towards the fix, and Toyota Canada is willing to chip in a bit too...HOWEVER, since I will be bringing my car to my local mechanic, as he was willing to attempt the cleaning fixes that are recommanded throughout this site (which WORKED for my left rear sensor, but my right rear sensor is still f'd), Toyota is not willing to chip in towards the parts or service as its not being performed by their overpriced inexperienced mechanics. So, we need to push Toyota Canada to do a campaign to have all Yaris's brought in and either have the connectors on the ABS harness cleaned/replaced, and/or have the company engineers design a better cover to protect these VERY sensitive circuits from our harsh Canadian climates to prevent them from corroiding.

Come on Toyota....fix this problem before we make it become a safety recall. You admit it yourselves on your website that ABS is better...and we did pay extra for it.

I love love love my car, and used to rave about Toyota....but I am very disheartened and discouraged that a problem like this exists for multiple customers. Toyota, this can be fixed before your customers have to suffer a $1200/per side expense. Lets get it done! Please!
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #26
devinlamothe
 
devinlamothe's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sudbury, Canada
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
OK! We need to be stirring the pot with this. I have been in contact with my steal-ership and theyre now offering up 300bucks towards the fix, and Toyota Canada is willing to chip in a bit too...HOWEVER, since I will be bringing my car to my local mechanic, as he was willing to attempt the cleaning fixes that are recommanded throughout this site (which WORKED for my left rear sensor, but my right rear sensor is still f'd), Toyota is not willing to chip in towards the parts or service as its not being performed by their overpriced inexperienced mechanics. So, we need to push Toyota Canada to do a campaign to have all Yaris's brought in and either have the connectors on the ABS harness cleaned/replaced, and/or have the company engineers design a better cover to protect these VERY sensitive circuits from our harsh Canadian climates to prevent them from corroiding.

Come on Toyota....fix this problem before we make it become a safety recall. You admit it yourselves on your website that ABS is better...and we did pay extra for it.

I love love love my car, and used to rave about Toyota....but I am very disheartened and discouraged that a problem like this exists for multiple customers. Toyota, this can be fixed before your customers have to suffer a $1200/per side expense. Lets get it done! Please!
I've gotten no where with Toyota Canada or my local dealership. They wouldn't even give me a discount for the fix. I am still waiting for some time to do the clean/grease method to see if that fixes the issue.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #27
fatestepsin
I've made a post!
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1
So this is a recent problem for me. I brought my car in about 3 weeks ago for an oil change and to have them check the light out. By the time I got the car to the dealership the ABS/emergency brake lights had gone out. It was fine for a couple of weeks, and now the lights are going on and off when I'm driving. The dealership wants $105 just to find the problem, but I see that it's probably the speed sensor like others are experiencing. Is the speed sensor only covered under the basic warranty or does the powertrain warranty cover it as well? I don't really know much about cars and what's covered under what, so I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm outside the miles and time for the basic warranty, but still within the time frame for the power train.
fatestepsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #28
devinlamothe
 
devinlamothe's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sudbury, Canada
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatestepsin View Post
So this is a recent problem for me. I brought my car in about 3 weeks ago for an oil change and to have them check the light out. By the time I got the car to the dealership the ABS/emergency brake lights had gone out. It was fine for a couple of weeks, and now the lights are going on and off when I'm driving. The dealership wants $105 just to find the problem, but I see that it's probably the speed sensor like others are experiencing. Is the speed sensor only covered under the basic warranty or does the powertrain warranty cover it as well? I don't really know much about cars and what's covered under what, so I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm outside the miles and time for the basic warranty, but still within the time frame for the power train.
You are out of luck then. Only the full warranty would cover this, power train is for engine, emissions, etc.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #29
41magmag41
 
Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New hampshire
Posts: 226
Or if you bought the extended warranty. I think if we make enough noise it'll get fixed but you have to jump up and down at the dealership.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #30
rtom
 
Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback MT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47
For those of us who can still buy the extended warranty ...

How many of you think it's worth buying the extended warranty largely just for this issue of corroding speed sensors?

My car is only a few months old, and of course I don't have any problems yet. But I do live in the cold Northeast and I think I'll have to make a decision within 2 years whether I should go for the extended warranty or not -- ie before I'm likely to see the problem.

How much is the extended warranty, anyway?
rtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #31
devinlamothe
 
devinlamothe's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sudbury, Canada
Posts: 520
Well for me it was 100,000km for an extra $1200, which would have paid for itself since that is about the cost for 1 speed sensor bearing/wiring harness replacement. Not sure how much higher KM/mile warranties are though.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #32
jeffhgarner
I've made a post!
 
Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1
2007 Yaris Speed Sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by POORSHA View Post
With all the problems toyota is having I can't imagine they won't fix them free. who knows.
07 Yaris is in shop now. 63000 miles and BOTH rear speed sensors are shot. 1150.00 bucks for both. Having it fixed and sending a letter to Toyota with a CC to my state rep.

This is bullcrap. They know of the problem. There is NO WAY that BOTH sensors can just go bad at the same time. The sensors are either faulty or protection from the elements of them are faulty.

'78 corolla
'89 Camry
'02 Corolla
'07 Yaris

Next time I need a new vehicle I WILL NOT go straight to a Toyota dealership. Now I will shop.
jeffhgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Air/ Fuel mixture sensor warning for ALL Yaris owners eric81 General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 31 04-21-2012 08:28 PM
The Official Having A Bad Day Thread. *MAD DOG* Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions 7 11-15-2008 08:38 AM
Speed sensor for navigation install saue1436 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 5 04-12-2007 09:40 PM
swap for 2zz-ge???? yarisTOONR82 Performance Modifications 12 03-23-2007 07:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.