Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
When wiil this issue be put to rest? The faulty gas pedals were not failing because of where they were made. The pedals made in the US happened to be a different (faulty Toyota design) than those made in Japan or elsewhere and that is where the trouble lies. It had nothing to do with poor mufacturing or workmamship.

Also, be aware that even cars mas in Japan are full of international parts and there is nothing super human about Japaneese auto workers!
Actually the faulty pedal assemblies are manufactured here in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada by an independant parts contactor to Toyota specification. Yes, Toyota must take any heat.
Strange that our southern Ontario (and most all Canadian) road are literally filled with Corolla's and Camry's (Corolla and Matrix/Vibe are built near here at Ingersol, Ontario) and I've never heard any first hand reports of sticky pedals. Even reading the Toronto Star 'Wheels' section cover-to-cover weekly.
After it all came to light I did hear somewhere that there were only two cases in Canada. Cha-Ching!!!!
I'm inclined to agree, it's a witch-hunt.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
The faulty gas pedals were not failing because of where they were made. The pedals made in the US happened to be a different (faulty Toyota design) than
It has not been established that any pedals *are* faulty except possibly for the floor mat entrapment issue. And I've yet to see a convincing demonstration that there is actually a real issue there. In the absence of any convincing evidence to the contrary, I continue to suspect that this entire episode has been based upon sheer, manufactured fantasy, with some self-serving hoaxing mixed in. In this case, it looks to me like where there's smoke... there's a smoke machine. And members of the US Congress are taking turns operating it.

It's just amazing how many people one can convince, without presenting any evidence at all, as long as the claims are extraordinary enough and are repeated often enough.[1] And it's scary to consider that the phenomenon is hardly limited to discrediting Japanese auto manufacturers.

-Steve

[1] I believe that President Truman termed this style of scenario "The Big Lie".

Last edited by sbergman27; 04-06-2010 at 08:02 PM.
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #21
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stove View Post
That's because GM is government owned...
...and wanting to punish Toyota for taking their #1 ranking away from them.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #22
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergman27 View Post
In this case, it looks to me like where there's smoke... there's a smoke machine. And members of the US Congress are taking turns operating it.

It's just amazing how many people one can convince, without presenting any evidence at all, as long as the claims are extraordinary enough and are repeated often enough. And it's scary to consider that the phenomenon is hardly limited to discrediting Japanese auto manufacturers.

-Steve
*caugh* McCarthy *caugh*
Old 04-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #23
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
It has not been established that any pedals *are* faulty except possibly for the floor mat entrapment issue. And I've yet to see a convincing demonstration that there is actually a real issue there. In the absence of any convincing evidence to the contrary, I continue to suspect that this entire episode has been based upon sheer, manufactured fantasy, with some self-serving hoaxing mixed in. In this case, it looks to me like where there's smoke... there's a smoke machine. And members of the US Congress are taking turns operating it.

It's just amazing how many people one can convince, without presenting any evidence at all, as long as the claims are extraordinary enough and are repeated often enough.[1] And it's scary to consider that the phenomenon is hardly limited to discrediting Japanese auto manufacturers.

-Steve

[1] I believe that President Truman termed this style of scenario "The Big Lie".
What amazes me is that even Toyota admitted that there are indeed certain pedals that have a flawed design and they were fazing them out but, some people refuse to believe it.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #24
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
What amazes me is that even Toyota admitted that there are indeed certain pedals that have a flawed design and they were fazing them out but, some people refuse to believe it.
Link please? And also please describe, in your own words, the flaw you are referring to.

Vague talk of "flawed design" really won't do at this point. Is its shape suboptimal? Or does it detach itself, fly around the cabin, and eat your children?

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #25
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Or does it detach itself, fly around the cabin, and eat your children?
-Steve
ROTF
Old 04-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #26
RedRide

Quote:
Link please? And also please describe, in your own words, the flaw you are referring to.

Vague talk of "flawed design" really won't do at this point. Is its shape suboptimal? Or does it detach itself, fly around the cabin, and eat your children?

-Steve
OK......

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/why...r-denso-pedal/

Note that the page is dated feb 2010 and it is not exactly late and breaking news.

BTW, this is why Toyota may be hit with a 16 million dollar fine. Toyota knew about the problem long ago but, they contiued to use them (world wide) in clear voilation of US law.
(Anyone who actually read the link from the original post would already know this.) Other countries may follow suit. As I already stated, China is really pissed at Toyota over this.

Last edited by RedRide; 04-07-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #27
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Chine getting pissed over some defective product, like everything manufactured there is of perfect design and manufacture? must be nice to have poo that does not stink!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #28
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Chine getting pissed over some defective product, like everything manufactured there is of perfect design and manufacture? must be nice to have poo that does not stink!
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:38 AM   #29
RedRide

Can we at least stay on topic instead resorting to nation bashing?