Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
I need a simple answer for a router question

I have what apparently is a pretty generic router Linksys WRT54G2.

FACTS:

I use it primarily for my PS3.

The PS3 is connected wirelessly to the router.

The signal is between 60-80% usually with spikes in either direction.

Signal passes through maybe 2-3 walls; about 12-20' from the PS3 in a direct line.

I have read online the PS3 has a g card in it.

Would anything change as far as gameplay/response is concerned if I upgraded to an 'N' router?

I played two games of deathmatch in Mw2 tonight and total between the two was 3 kills and 28 deaths. it seemed like the gameplay was choppy (not iceskating) but like you could see a refresh rate kind of thing happening to the screen. the signal status on the game said i had 4 of 4 bars....
I don't know if it's the router, my ISP, or if I just suck that bad anymore lol.....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
with gaming, your symptom is called lag... conceivably, removing lag could improve gameplay and kill vs death ratio... the best way to solve lag is to run a hardline, ie some category 5 cable from router to ps3... this is an advisement that i have been giving for years and the technology involved has not changed enough to invalidate this advice... this is my two cents on that point... on the other, upgrading to an n rated router will make extremely minimal if any improvement to the problem...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Copper is always the best option...wireless really should only be considered when copper is not possible. as PK stated you can only connect as fast as the lowest speed component can connect so without an N adapter for your PS3 you are limited to G. Another tidbit on N is that in order to get the best out of your N link you need to be as close as possible. N speeds drop dramatically even after the first 10 to 15 ft.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Also consider setting up some sort of port forwarding/QoS rule. You should be able to set on the router to have your PS3 be the most "important" device on your network, and provide better, more consistent traffic to it, whether it be by MAC address, or by specific ports that are used by your system/games. You may notice a slight improvement doing this over wireless, but as everyone else has already stated, you're not going to beat wired speeds.

Does the PS3 have a Gigabit NIC? If so, if you upgraded to a router with Gigabit ports, you'd have almost no lag on the transmission of data over the line between the PS3 and the router, though it won't fix or increase your Internet speeds.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
1) I have what apparently is a pretty generic router Linksys WRT54G2.
OK

2) FACTS:I use it primarily for my PS3.
whatever

3) The PS3 is connected wirelessly to the router.

ok

4) The signal is between 60-80% usually with spikes in either direction.

55% and below is where packet degradation starts. someone turns on
a microwave within 50 feet of it, signal will degrade/drop out. if it really never drops below 60% then wireless is not the problem

5)
Signal passes through maybe 2-3 walls; about 12-20' from the PS3 in a direct line.

doesn't matter. if it is 55% or higher the speed is fine

6) I have read online the PS3 has a g card in it.

ok

7)Would anything change as far as gameplay/response is concerned if I upgraded to an 'N' router?

nope, but your wallet will be lighter

8)I played two games of deathmatch in Mw2 tonight and total between the two was 3 kills and 28 deaths. it seemed like the gameplay was choppy (not iceskating) but like you could see a refresh rate kind of thing happening to the screen. the signal status on the game said i had 4 of 4 bars....
I don't know if it's the router, my ISP, or if I just suck that bad anymore lol.....

ok

----------------FIX (as others have stated)

A) connect your ps3 direct to the router with ethernet cable, this will eliminate emi and take all guesswork out of the issue

B) search google for your router QOS settings and tweaks specific to your game, and try to optimize it. this will take some time to fine tune, play, see the results (or non-results) and tweak again. there may be optimal MTU size or QOS settings
for your game and internet provider connection

you may need (should do, I mean) to load DD-WRT firmware on your linksys, and get rid of the factory image,
then you will have the doors open to really fine tune the linksys and control how it operates.
dd-wrt is FAR better than the original linksys firmware.

time to step up the game http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

C) could be the ISP that sucks. most do to some extent
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
you may need (should do, I mean) to load DD-WRT firmware on your linksys, and get rid of the factory image,
then you will have the doors open to really fine tune the linksys and control how it operates.

Check out Tomato as well (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato) Another good alternative.

*NOTE* Flashing the firmware on a router, while giving good benefits, can lead to a bricked router if not done properly. Be sure to read the documentation and above all else, TAKE YOUR TIME!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
Check out Tomato as well (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato) Another good alternative.

*NOTE* Flashing the firmware on a router, while giving good benefits, can lead to a bricked router if not done properly. Be sure to read the documentation and above all else, TAKE YOUR TIME!
I'm running tomato on a wrt54g and boosted the transmit power to 70 mW, the default is 42. Its been running fine for 2+ years and I know a few other people running tomato with no problems. Also as other people have said, setting up QoS and giving priority to gaming packets helps a lot.

Or, as others have said, get a cable - no loss under 100 feet(even up to 150 you should be good).
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
fawk.... I got all excited, though you were talking about wood working.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
Shroomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
fawk.... I got all excited, though you were talking about wood working.
lol....have to talk to the father-in-law about that....
Old 05-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
Canuck

Drives: 07 5 door Hatchback
As other have said, wire is the best option.

Going to a 'N' router will not improve your speed if your PS3 has a G card. However, I've noticed that N routers' signals is better. It may ensure that your signal quality remains above 60%.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
I'm not reading the rest of the responses so this is already posted, but the PS3 doesn't have N compatibility.

Secondly, buy this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorola...reme&cp=1&lp=1

Just adding that to my setup DOUBLED my average speed tests from 20 Mbps, to 40+Mbps.

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Shroomster

I bought a 50' Belkin ethernet cable for $5.88 so I'll see what happens when it gets here....
Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post
I'm not reading the rest of the responses so this is already posted, but the PS3 doesn't have N compatibility.

Secondly, buy this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorola...reme&cp=1&lp=1

Just adding that to my setup DOUBLED my average speed tests from 20 Mbps, to 40+Mbps.
Did you happen to upgrade your service as well? The only advantage that this modem should have given you was the 1000mbps (1gbps) speeds between the modem/router modem/host pc. Granted, having those faster ports will make a speed difference, it's really only on your LAN, not total internet speeds.

Also, when using 10/100/1000 ports, be sure to take full advantage of it by using a CAT-6 cable, as CAT-5 and CAT-5e aren't as capable of supporting the higher speed.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:10 AM   #14
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
hmm.. just 2 points here....

1) cat5e supports up to 1gigabit
2) wifi signal strength ≠ signal quality. So even if your system says reception is 4/4 bars, doesn't mean you'll get all the speed needed.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
suckerface
#1 Lemming

While cat5e supports 1gbps, cat6 was designed with this specifically in mind. cat5e is just a "better" cat5.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #16
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

This is the best advice so far. Click here for more info on how to set it up:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40142

HTH
Old 05-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
Shroomster

well i got my FastCat 5e cable for 5.88 + .97 shipped 50 foot belkin cable.....

and yep no mo' lagging...so nice I'm actually getting more 'registered hits/kills' and actually keeping up....