Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
ddongbap
Banned
 
Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hay
Posts: 2,183
Wait..

*checks thread section*

Okay, you're fine. If this were general, those fuel econ boys would be all up in yo grill.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator
 
Astroman's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Wait..

*checks thread section*

Okay, you're fine. If this were general, those fuel econ boys would be all up in yo grill.
LOL

Weird thing is, my Scangauge shows I'm getting amazing mileage right now (well, not RIGHT now. Right now the car is parked and off) in the high 30s to low 40s. Usually when I zip around town it's in the 20s

Idle was rough after the first test drive, felt like it was surging, then I did throw a check engine light (which I cleared) on the 3rd drive. When I stopped one of the hoses had come undone as the new coupler is a little longer than the stock one. I dunno if my mechanic had forgot to hook it up or it came off. If it does it again I'll just trim the coupler so it fits better.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
ddongbap
Banned
 
Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hay
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
LOL

Weird thing is, my Scangauge shows I'm getting amazing mileage right now (well, not RIGHT now. Right now the car is parked and off) in the high 30s to low 40s. Usually when I zip around town it's in the 20s

Idle was rough after the first test drive, felt like it was surging, then I did throw a check engine light (which I cleared) on the 3rd drive. When I stopped one of the hoses had come undone as the new coupler is a little longer than the stock one. I dunno if my mechanic had forgot to hook it up or it came off. If it does it again I'll just trim the coupler so it fits better.
I was talking about your cat removal.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator
 
Astroman's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 3,670
ah, lol.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
ddongbap
Banned
 
Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hay
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
ah, lol.
Don't worry. I believe you should take off both cats.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
suckerface
#1 Lemming
 
suckerface's Avatar
 
Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 760
So, am I to understand, with the Corolla 1ZZ TB, you can just toss that on in place of the 1NZ TB with no further modifications? Or is it a good idea to have a better header on there first? I'm going to a salvage yard this week or next and would like to see if I can track one down if that's the case.
__________________
suckerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
PETERPOOP
 
PETERPOOP's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 white liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oahu
Posts: 3,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
So, am I to understand, with the Corolla 1ZZ TB, you can just toss that on in place of the 1NZ TB with no further modifications? Or is it a good idea to have a better header on there first? I'm going to a salvage yard this week or next and would like to see if I can track one down if that's the case.
some people have problems with it, so they end up doing the chip swap from the 1nz to the 1zz TB. Even then (like my experience), some people still have problems. Could be a bad TB, since most are bought used from ebay.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Astroman
Modded Moderator
 
Astroman's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 3,670
From what I've read here, it seems to be the TB with the US part no., the japanese part seems to work better.

On a interesting note, my '05 corolla TB I purchased from Functionspec had a odd part number (#22030-0D030). There was a thread on here on how to do it but the OP deleted his posts. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14672

So far the only time the car runs like crap at low RPM and throws a CEL seems to be when one of the hoses that hooks up to my intake falls off because the new coupler is almost an inch longer than the stock one. I'm going to trim it down today which should get rid of the problem. If I can find my digital camera I'll take a movie of just how it sounds, as it changed a LOT. Sounds really really good now, and I'm still stock after the header.

I haven't done the chip swap or adjusted the idle, will give it some time as the TB was only installed yesterday.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
marcus
toyota
 
marcus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: toronto, canada
Posts: 3,637
im curious what happen next on astros tb..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
TheSilkySmooth
 
TheSilkySmooth's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 622
I love to see a dyno sheet from a YW member that shows any improvement with a larger TB on this car with stock cams, inlet manifold and head. Laws of physics say NO improvement is to be had. And I mean back to back, same temps and fuel. Some days my car makes what feels like 10 more hp than other days - usually due to barometric pressure and temps, so you will alway have that variability in the mix. AGAin the power is ALL TO BE HAD in the cam phasing (vvti) with stock cams, ONCE YOU UNCORK THE EXHAUST AND HAVE A GOOD cai. yES i AM A DOUBTER.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
ddongbap
Banned
 
Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hay
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
I love to see a dyno sheet from a YW member that shows any improvement with a larger TB on this car with stock cams, inlet manifold and head. Laws of physics say NO improvement is to be had. And I mean back to back, same temps and fuel. Some days my car makes what feels like 10 more hp than other days - usually due to barometric pressure and temps, so you will alway have that variability in the mix. AGAin the power is ALL TO BE HAD in the cam phasing (vvti) with stock cams, ONCE YOU UNCORK THE EXHAUST AND HAVE A GOOD cai. yES i AM A DOUBTER.
Dyno graphs don't show throttle response bro.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 AM   #12
Astroman
Modded Moderator
 
Astroman's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 3,670
150 miles and the car purrs, no CEL. It's amazing what a difference this has made in how well the car pulls now when accelerating, I'm not having to push the pedal down as much to go uphill, and passing is much quicker. REALLY can't wait to get the custom exhaust done. I've done a TB swap before, this one really shines. Even my mechanic is impressed with how well the car responds and accelerates now. Do this mod, it's well worth it!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
sito
 
Drives: Toyota
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
150 miles and the car purrs, no CEL. It's amazing what a difference this has made in how well the car pulls now when accelerating, I'm not having to push the pedal down as much to go uphill, and passing is much quicker. REALLY can't wait to get the custom exhaust done. I've done a TB swap before, this one really shines. Even my mechanic is impressed with how well the car responds and accelerates now. Do this mod, it's well worth it!

Astroman, did you swap the chip?
sito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #14
Astroman
Modded Moderator
 
Astroman's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by sito View Post
Astroman, did you swap the chip?
No chip swap, but again this one did have a part number that I've only seen on this TB (#22030-0D030). Yesterday it felt like the ECU finally learned the new TB. Idle is just about normal, and even the warm up idle isn't as high as before, and it settles down quicker. Didn't even adjust the idle screw.

So maybe the secret is the part number? Either way my stock one isn't going back on in the foreseeable future.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
PETERPOOP
 
PETERPOOP's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 white liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oahu
Posts: 3,674
supossedly Yoda? has a dyno that shows 3whp improvement, i think. however, that dyno was probably done on a different day with different weather conditions. so who really knows? hehe

edit: post #11 of this thread..
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
Yoda
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 966
my run was not on the same day. i am going catless next week so i will put that dyno up. hoping for 120whp
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #17
Yoda
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 966
scrap that. just took a ride in a honda fit with a straight pipe from the header back.. it smells and sounds really bad. just gonna put that money towards something else.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:14 AM   #18
PETERPOOP
 
PETERPOOP's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 white liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oahu
Posts: 3,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
scrap that. just took a ride in a honda fit with a straight pipe from the header back.. it smells and sounds really bad. just gonna put that money towards something else.
lol. you don't like that smell? I LOVE that smell. You weren't even going to run a resonator?

Why don't you do what barber did?
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Viper Alarm Install gwasabi In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 28 08-11-2010 02:57 PM
Idea I had, but I can't figure a way to make it work... kac Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) 4 08-08-2009 09:17 PM
YarisWorld Marketing Idea *MAD DOG* General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 30 04-12-2009 05:46 AM
High pitched whine using stock head unit / aux input? IsLNdbOi In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 8 02-02-2007 12:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.