Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Lorenzo1950

Drives: 2010 5 door Hatchback
Angry You gotta hate when this happens

Last Wednesday my Honda Civic is totalled.
Saturday I purchase the Yaris.
Tuesday I go to the Motor Vehicle Administration to turn in the tags for the Honda. Tuesday evening my wife comes home from work and asks me how my new car got damaged already.
Apparently someone at the MVA ran into my car and fled the scene.
Talk about good fortune. Maybe my lucky number should be 13.
Looks like I will be filing a new claim on the Yaris today.
Why can't people just tap into your car? Why did this idiot have to do at least $1,500.00 worth of damage?
Lorenzo1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
unclenefeesa
Da Uncle

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Do they have Security Cameras at the DMV?
unclenefeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Look out, maybe MORE on the way!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
lxy128

Drives: 2010 3D Yaris
DAMM!
I have street parking in the city and I'm worried about this kind of stuff everyday
lxy128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
PerfectoII
PWN'ING NOOBS SINCE PONG

Drives: Yaris
Reasons like this is why I take up two or more spaces. Too many people out there who don't give a crap about their own car and care even less about others...

Sorry to hear that happened man. Hope that bastard gets whats due!!!
PerfectoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectoII View Post
Reasons like this is why I take up two or more spaces. Too many people out there who don't give a crap about their own car and care even less about others...
That's a surefire way to get MORE people to fuck with your ride. Nobody likes a douche making douche moves such as taking up two spots with a car that could nearly fit two of itself in ONE spot.

To the OP: Sorry about your car. That's just a bummer thing to happen to a brand new car. I hit a piece of tractor trailer tire on I95 about 3 weeks after getting mine and cracked the front bumper lip right in the middle. Had no choice but to chalk it up to "shit happens."

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
PerfectoII
PWN'ING NOOBS SINCE PONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
That's a surefire way to get MORE people to fuck with your ride. Nobody likes a douche making douche moves such as taking up two spots with a car that could nearly fit two of itself in ONE spot.

-SAV
Nah...it's not. Been doing that since the day I bought it...and no one has even come close...will keep on doing it too. I also make it a point to park a little farther out where there are less vehicles. As for being able to fit two of these in one spot...I can, and have, made mine take up four.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Parking across 2 spaces will be seen by many as an arrogant act that some will respond to by vandalizing your ride. I'll park in an open, distant part of the lot, but in a space.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
OP> Man, sounds like your luck is about as bad as my buddy's. He totaled his car, got a new one, had it run into 3 times in 4 weeks, then the tranny blew, and after all that, had a car drive up in his yard, over a bush, and run into the passenger front fender, just to flee the scene.

I, personally, find a spot in the VERY back of a parking lot and take up two spaces sometimes. Being in WI, people are way too lazy to walk from the back of a lot, so there's zero chance of anyone parking nearby as it is, the two spots is for the idiots who weave through parked cars in the lot like it's an auto cross track. I also try to have one of those cement lot "islands" directly on one side or the other.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
PerfectoII
PWN'ING NOOBS SINCE PONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Parking across 2 spaces will be seen by many as an arrogant act that some will respond to by vandalizing your ride. I'll park in an open, distant part of the lot, but in a space.
I'm glad I don't live where you guys do...lol!!! Here...people get it...
Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Agreed, there are ways to park your car safely without drawing attention to it. I go for end spots and I don't mind walking to wherever I am going just to make sure my Yaris is parked safely.

You may have been lucky so far, but it's just a matter of time before someone does something because of the way you're parked!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectoII View Post
I can, and have, made mine take up four.
Out of curiosity, why would you even do that? Just going for your all time personal best?
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
PerfectoII
PWN'ING NOOBS SINCE PONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Agreed, there are ways to park your car safely without drawing attention to it. I go for end spots and I don't mind walking to wherever I am going just to make sure my Yaris is parked safely.

You may have been lucky so far, but it's just a matter of time before someone does something because of the way you're parked!
Nah...I'm not worried about those who would have a problem with the way I park...doubt jail time would be worth to them anyway...more worried about the person who mistakingly swings their door open hard, kids who just don't know any better, or old ladies who don't know how to back up the truck that is way too big for them to drive hitting my ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Out of curiosity, why would you even do that? Just going for your all time personal best?
Wife and I went out to lunch with our Sheriff and his wife (work related). He likes to take up two spaces too...so I took up four...but...yes...that is my all time personal best.

Anyway...Lorenzo...unclenefeesa is right...there should be cameras at your DMV...could be worth a shot...
Old 06-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Wow. My new housemate just brought a Yaris from Maryland and it has dents and scrapes all up and down the sides. I will never go anywhere near Maryland!
Old 06-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
ERA

Drives: '10 Zephyr Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
+ uno
Old 06-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
Why even bother buying a car when you are so paranoid about other people dinging and scratching up your car to the level where you have to either take up 2 parking spots? No matter how hard you try, car will get dinged and scuffed eventually. If where you live tends to have spacious parking lot where majority of people know why you are taking up 2 parking stalls, that's great. Nothing wrong about that. But definately not a recommended move for general public. At least where I live, if u take up 2 spots, you are bound to get fucked by someone like me eventually.

And on a side note, parking your car far back or far corner of a parking lot can be a good way to prevent doordings, etc, but at the same time can become more vulnerable against car theives, especially at nighttime. Given that cars do get stolen during daytime as well, you just have to do it at your own discretion.

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #17
Lorenzo1950

Drives: 2010 5 door Hatchback
Nothing is worse than a tractor trailor parking at a Burger King and taking up 15 spaces.

When I see a car taking up 2 spaces I park next to it if at all possible.
Lorenzo1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #18
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I go for end spots and I don't mind walking to wherever I am going just to make sure my Yaris is parked safely.
I do the same thing too, so far I've manage to avoid door dings on my Yaris.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote