Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #19
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

There's an awful lot of variability in the amount of fuel to burn off till the first bar goes off, depending on whether you stop filling when the pump clicks off the first time (as Toyota recommends), at the second clickoff as I do hoping to optimize consistency of filling, or fill it to the very top as some people do (which is not advisable as it may flood the vapor recovery canisters with fuel.) So mileage till the first bar goes off isn't a good thing to compare.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #20
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
^ Yes

Average of all my gas fills (10) for the first bar dropping is 95.1 miles. The first two fills by me were: 70 mi and 88 mi. The dealer fill prior was: 62 miles. I would assume the dealer stopped filling when the pump clicked off the first time? For those first two, I actually filled over around .300 to .500 of a gallon. Every fill since then I let the pump click off... wait around 30 seconds and fill exactly .100 of a gallon more. Funny thing? By filling my gas tank less after the first click than the first two, I'm getting higher first bar reads! This is primarily because I drastically changed my driving style... Presently, on this fill my bar dropped at 109 miles.

The 120 mi high value? I can only attribute it to the all Highway (Interstate) driving right from the beginning of that fill and ideal neutral and DFCO glides used...

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:22 AM   #21
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Manual
I have not broken the 50mpg mark for tank, i get 50mpg plenty often on trips around town or to school though.

I have a scangauge II and I deliver pizza for a living. One day, i averaged 52mpg delivering pizza, it was a nice and warm day. Man, you really gotta work the coasting in neutral and the DFCO for those mpg's in the city.

I can almost get better MPG's in the city than on the highway. Depending on the weather, temp and if the engine is warmed up.

I just took a trip from portland to eugene, or. keeping it at about 70mph down the interstate, got about 46mpg, so that wasnt bad. It was really flat and i have noticed i get better mileage on the hilly terrain.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #22
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsouders View Post

I can almost get better MPG's in the city than on the highway. Depending on the weather, temp and if the engine is warmed up.

I just took a trip from portland to eugene, or. keeping it at about 70mph down the interstate, got about 46mpg, so that wasnt bad. It was really flat and i have noticed i get better mileage on the hilly terrain.
For me there is a good 6-8 mile difference with city combined vs straight highway driving.

Yeah... hilly terrain seems to be the ticket for better gas mileage. If you dropped your speed from 70mph to 55mph on your trip to Eugene, I bet you would of possibly broken 50mpg...

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
Old 06-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #23
Falconeer
Bayou Blue Pearl.

Drives: Yaris 5D Liftback Full Options
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
That would be about average for Yaris here in the USA. The factors you listed would have some affect on your MPG's. I know hot temperature is better than cold temperature for better mileage FE.

You did not mention driving style and other environmental conditions? This I believe is everything for getting higher gas mileage. Important factors are...

1. What speed do you maintain on highway and city driving?
2. Flat vs mountain terrain travel?
3. Duration and miles/kilometers of travel? Short or long travel?
4. Slow start vs fast start?
5. Breaking glides and neutral glides?
6. Average RPM during drive and travel?

Cheers!
The terrain is flat. On freeways Imaintain 140 kmph. The legal limit is 160 kmph, but that is too much for fuel and this car's stability in winds. But I do touch 160 rarely on it though.
Mostly I drive city and maintain 80-90 kmph
I start slow rather than start with a jerk. I used to do that for years though, till I got this car. I am still trying to be easy with the accelerator pedal.
I dont do neutral glides, unless on freeways. I prefer that extra engine help in braking.
No clue on rpm... still saving for the scan gauge II!
BOSCH 8000k HID Headlights, BOSCH 8000k HID Fog Lights. BOSCH Horn. 30% tint all round. 70% Tint mirror-finish tint on front wind shield. TRD Leather Shift Knob, Leather Steering Wheel, TRD Emblem. Height adjustable driver's seat is cool! and... That great armrest from ebay
Falconeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #24
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

140 Km/H is about 86 MPH. Mileage is way down at that speed. You're not going to see "hypermiler" mileage if you go over about 90 Km/H or 55 MPH. Maximum mileage in steady state, no-wind, flat driving conditions will be seen at around 35 MPH in most cars. Get above about 100 Km/hr and the fuel consumption starts rising steeply.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #25
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=XcWd...eature=channel
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #26
Falconeer
Bayou Blue Pearl.

Drives: Yaris 5D Liftback Full Options
Okay, my next major trip this Thursday, I am doing 90Kmph. Not touching 100 to see how it does.

Thanks all!
BOSCH 8000k HID Headlights, BOSCH 8000k HID Fog Lights. BOSCH Horn. 30% tint all round. 70% Tint mirror-finish tint on front wind shield. TRD Leather Shift Knob, Leather Steering Wheel, TRD Emblem. Height adjustable driver's seat is cool! and... That great armrest from ebay
Falconeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #27
Yarrris-Wench
Keep To The Code

Drives: Red 2009 Toyo Yaris- Isabella
Send a message via AIM to Yarrris-Wench
Awesome Awesome!! The last time I really checked and payed attention hard, I got 51 out of my little pirate ship. :)
Tail Lights, HIDs, Tint, Rear Speaker Box & Amp(Boom Boom :P)

Yarrris-Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #28
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Well, yesterday I filled up my gas tank for the first time since the last tank I got 50+ miles. Results where pretty much what I expected!

The driving was 60hwy and 40city – rural to small city. No long trips:
481 tank / 10.205 gal = 47.133 mpg

I’m consistent with averaging 45 – 47 mpg (a tank) with my normal driving routine. Long highway trips make a big difference of 5 to 7 mpg more. Hopefully, I can take a long trip soon.

On a side note:
I have been filling up my gas tank for the last two times with Shell RBOB Oxygenated gas - No Ethanol. The reason is this particular gas station uses proprietary detergents in their gas – premium branded gas, not to mention any ethanol... a 2 to 3% on average better mileage. That is a plus... When I went there yesterday, I immediately noticed, "May Contain up to 10% Ethanol" sticker on their pumps! Ughhh! I spoke with the attendant and he said the company finally made the switch to ethanol last week. They no longer can buy the local RBOB gas from CS Meyers, Inc here in State College, PA. They had to purchase through Shell. Shell Corporation told them they had to change. So, I then drove across town to the unbranded gas station that I have always been buying from. Fortunately, they still purchase from CS Meyers, Inc. The sign still says NO ETHANOL... Thank God!

On further research, I found out that Clearfield, PA (Central PA) is building an ethanol fuel plant? I don't know... There is a strong push to use ethanol here in Central PA. Practically all gas stations are using ethanol. The Shell Station decided to take the subsidy. So, now there are only two gas stations left in this area... soon they will break-down and go the ethanol way... it’s too lucrative not to change. No doubt!

Thanks to “jhsouders” who place the pure-gas.org link on another thread! Good info to find ethanol-free gas stations in the US and Canada:
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Cheers!

Gas station sign I fill-up at:
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #29
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I don't trust the pure-gas.org list. I suspect a lot of those stations just don't have the ethanol stickers posted. Anyway, I don't mind burning E10. 3.4% less energy volumetrically just means you have to take that into account if comparing mileage of the two blends. Pre-ethanol gas since the late '90s had oxygenates in it at about a 2% oxygen level, just a bit less than E10, meaning the energy loss from "pure" gasoline was just a bit less than with E10 as well. Ethanol is not worse for our cars than MTBE or other "oxygenates." It's silly to make a big issue out of avoiding it as a consumer. As public policy, it's stupid to grow corn and make fuel out of it.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #30
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
I don't trust the pure-gas.org list. I suspect a lot of those stations just don't have the ethanol stickers posted. Anyway, I don't mind burning E10. 3.4% less energy volumetrically just means you have to take that into account if comparing mileage of the two blends. Pre-ethanol gas since the late '90s had oxygenates in it at about a 2% oxygen level, just a bit less than E10, meaning the energy loss from "pure" gasoline was just a bit less than with E10 as well. Ethanol is not worse for our cars than MTBE or other "oxygenates." It's silly to make a big issue out of avoiding it as a consumer. As public policy, it's stupid to grow corn and make fuel out of it.
Yes... you are correct! Caveat emptor when buying gas. In PA it is manditory by law to have a sticker posted on pumps for any amount of ethanol sold. Very stiff penalties are enforced. I feel comfortable that if I pump gas and no labels are on the pump, it is completely completely free of ethanol. For TN it's much different. Tennessee law requires a label for 1.5% or higher of ethanol. So, you could be filling gas at a station with no labels thinking your getting pure ethanol-free gas and you are actually not.

I agree that Ethanol is not worse than MTBE. This is the marketing side - the disinformation and misinformation you hear from the pro-MTBE camp. There are pros and cons on both sides.

I know only time will tell when Central PA will be all ethanol. No escaping... I will have to live with that... I also know I will have to live with paying more for corn based foods down the road...

Cheers!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #31
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Silver Liftback
Keep up the good work......it only gets easier with time.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #32
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
Keep up the good work......it only gets easier with time.
Impressive mileage average, roadrunner!

Good news that it only gets better with time... I'm excited!

I noticed you are in Perkasie, PA. What kind of driving do you do for the most part? ... rural? When I broke 50 MPG I drove a long stretch of I-78 into Reading and then to Allentown. I was using those Interstates out by your area. Great roads and grades for maximum fuel efficiency.

Cheers!

Old 06-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #33
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Most of my driving is to and from work. Most of the time I drive off hours, when the streets are not as crowded with cars that cause more red lights.
My commute is 20 miles each way, with rolling hills, very little flat driving.
I never use the air conditioner, even on a very hot days like today, when it was about 95. I use the brakes as little as possible.
Good new about my Yaris hatchback. I now have 42,000 miles, and still nothing has cause a problem. The last four state inspections, it needed nothing, not even a bulb or wiper blade. The car has been perfect, and very cheap to own. Even my auto insurance with State Farm is only 467/year.
Highly recommend the Yaris.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #34
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
Most of my driving is to and from work. Most of the time I drive off hours, when the streets are not as crowded with cars that cause more red lights.
My commute is 20 miles each way, with rolling hills, very little flat driving.
I never use the air conditioner, even on a very hot days like today, when it was about 95. I use the brakes as little as possible.
Good new about my Yaris hatchback. I now have 42,000 miles, and still nothing has cause a problem. The last four state inspections, it needed nothing, not even a bulb or wiper blade. The car has been perfect, and very cheap to own. Even my auto insurance with State Farm is only 467/year.
Highly recommend the Yaris.
Your driving conditions are pretty much the same as mine! My driving to and from work is 15 miles each way. Rolling hills in the big valley and mountains of Central PA. I do use A/C sometimes, but when I do it is in short intervals during travel. I use my brakes as little as possible too! Mostly engine braking to the 1,100 RPM range...

I go to work early in the morning when the lights are flashing amber. When I leave it's before rush hour (actually rush minute... LOL!) of State College.

Cheers!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #35
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

are you a Penn State grad?

Why are you living in that area? A Penn State grad?
I attended PSU years ago.

Roadrunner

Last edited by roadrunner; 06-26-2010 at 05:26 AM.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #36
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
Why are you living in that area? A Penn State grad?
I attended PSU years ago.

Roadrunner
I work for the University... PSU Intercollegiate Athletics - Penn State Football!

Nope, not a Penn State grad... instead Miami! The one in Florida... don't ask

At 'The U' in 1986... I will never forget the Fiesta Bowl. I was rooting for the Nittany Lions all the way!

Oh, BTW! JoePa's contract ends in 2011... he will be 85. Will he call it quits? Will there be another contract extention? Amos Alonzo Stagg is a far way off! 2025 for... 99??? Would be nice to see that record! Football is Joe's life. Health is wealth... is everything!

Cheers!

Last edited by STC; 06-28-2010 at 06:43 PM.