Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #19
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I would say "do it!" The Yaris is no slouch (it will out-0-to-60 a 2.5 litre Jetta) and if you want to compare it to the cars of your (OK, "my") youth, it will out-everything an MGB. More power, less weight, more comfort, better suspension and handling, and has a lot of usable luggage/carrying space. Plus, it comes with a better stereo than the old 8-track....
I've never driven an MGB, but I do have a slightly warmed over Bugeye Sprite and it has as much power, far better suspension & definitely less weight than my Yaris. The Yaris is a bit more comfy to drive and has all that space in the hatch to haul junk around in though. I consider myself as having the best of both worlds. I have a reliable, economical & watertight putt-putt that I drive daily (Yaris) and I also have a reliable, economical & not so watertight drop top (Bugeye) that I can race through the mountain twisties with the top down on a nice sunny day.

Of course, my Sprite is modified, so comparing a stock one (or a stock MGB) to a Yaris will have much different results. If I had to choose between the two I would keep the Bugeye and suffer when it rains or snows (but then I'm sort of a glutton for punishment).

Oh yeah.....you don't need a stereo in an old roadster. The sounds the engine makes are music enough.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
I've never driven an MGB, but I do have a slightly warmed over Bugeye Sprite and it has as much power, far better suspension & definitely less weight than my Yaris. The Yaris is a bit more comfy to drive and has all that space in the hatch to haul junk around in though. I consider myself as having the best of both worlds. I have a reliable, economical & watertight putt-putt that I drive daily (Yaris) and I also have a reliable, economical & not so watertight drop top (Bugeye) that I can race through the mountain twisties with the top down on a nice sunny day.

Of course, my Sprite is modified, so comparing a stock one (or a stock MGB) to a Yaris will have much different results. If I had to choose between the two I would keep the Bugeye and suffer when it rains or snows (but then I'm sort of a glutton for punishment).

Oh yeah.....you don't need a stereo in an old roadster. The sounds the engine makes are music enough.
Hmm... Lets look at the specs for an un-"warmed over" Sprite.

Engine and transmission: BMC A-Series, 4-cylinder, ohv, in-line. 948cc, 62.9 x 76.2mm, 43bhp at 5200rpm; 52lb ft at 3300rpm. 4-speed gearbox;
Chassis: Independent front suspension, coil springs and wishbones. Rack-and-pinion steering. Rear suspension by cantilever quarter-elliptic leaf springs and radius-arms. Front and rear drum brakes. 5.20-13in tyres.
Dimensions: Wheelbase 6ft 8in; front track 3ft 9.75in; rear track 3ft 8.75in; length 11ft 5.25in; width 4ft 5in; height 4ft 1.75in. Unladen weight (approx) 1328lb.
Typical Performance: Maximum speed 86mph; 0-60mph 20.5sec; standing ¼-mile 21.8sec; overall fuel consumption 34mpg.
Fate: Dropped in favour of restyled MkII model in 1961.

At 43hp with a weight (dry) of 1328. that's 72.5 hp per ton.
Yaris at 106hp/2300 lbs - 103 hp/ton.

"Warmed over?" I'd say your thermometer was under-reading a bit. And Yes, I'd keep the Frog-eye, too...
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #21
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Once your seat of the pant dyno forgets the V6 you'll become like us and think the Yaris is actually peppy. You may want to consider a 5 speed.
At test drive time I jumped from my 205 hp turbo Talon into an automatic Yaris and didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It was just sooooooooooooo luggish. Next I tryed a 5 speed and found it had hope, and if I couldn't adjust I'd give it to wifey and start shopping again in the up-power market. Today, with a few tweaks I enjoy my Yaris. And I'm not one to fret over fuel mileage. Fun factor is priority one and this light-weight machine handles nicely once the grandma suspension was replaced.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote