Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
RawrDaddy

Drives: 2007
Setting Up Front-Stage / Pearless SLS & Enclosure Trouble

I wanted to post this over in DIYMA but...ill ask a couple Yaris enthusiasts first.

I'm about to buy the Pearless SLS 8" so i can get rid of my current tube subwoofer thats in my trunk and i have the intentions of setting up the SLS in front of the passenger seat so i can get some REAL front-stage.
Problem is - how would you guys go into mounting / enclosure it so that theres still ample foot room for passengers? also since im more on a limited budget and dont have much experience building my own enclosures (not saying i wont try) - having the option to fiber glass something up is kind of out of the equation for me as well.

so with that - is there any way an enclosure could be made to fit right into the triangular area at the top of the foot rest area? does an enclosure always sound better than just using free-air?

or should i just get 2 6.5" Woofers - throw them in "pods" and mount them on the center console - the space opposite of the kick panels.

Current Equipment : Ive got the Candence CWM-6.5s in doors handling midbass. 3" Drivers On Dash. And 1" Tweets (that came with the Candence) On Dash. Looking for something to handle the [more] low ends.
RawrDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Hmm, with either an 8" or two 6.5's, that's still a lot of airspace for a Yaris. Some guys have had luck making a box under the passenger seat.

For the passenger footwell, you could probably get away with a wedge-style box. The thickest part will be the depth of the sub itself. But I think there is plenty of room when I look at my HB.

I would say stay away from 2 6.5's in the center in front of the shifter. I'm assuming you'd aim the subs away from each other, each towards the outside. You'd run into nasty phasing issues in doing that.

In my experience, a nice 8" will be better than 2 6.5's. 6.5's are tough to get them to play low. You need a LOT of airspace.

Keep us up to date. I'd be curious what you decide to go with!
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
RawrDaddy

Drives: 2007
Nice information. Thanks thats good to know.

I was kind of leaning towards the 8" as well just cause of the fact that i 'COULD' get it down to about 30/40ish hz without major work.

i forgot to factor in all the airspace needed for the subs up front though. =/

now time to start sketching out some different box dimensions and see if i could find somebody locally to put it together
RawrDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote