Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
jonbert1024

Drives: Red 2008 Yaris Sedan
stock intake question

A buddy of mine told me that he removed the pipe that connects to the stock intake filter box. He also said it gave the car a stronger noise and a bit of power. Is bad to remove that pipe? And does it really give the car a stronger engine noise. I havent seen his car yet so i dont know.
jonbert1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
are you talking about the rubber hose from the intake manifold TO the filterbox? or those plastic ducts under the filter box taht direct air to it?

im sure he did the plastic ducts cuz if he did the one with the maf sensor the car would run like crap..

anywho, there is no noticable hp gain. i put a aftermarket cold air intake and dyno'd it before and after install.. i maybe gained 2 hp.. so if he is just removing some plastic pieces, there is no gain.. it may however make the intake sound louder but not alot.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
you can remove the molded in carbon filter in the air box lid...but that doesn't change the sound that much

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I cut out the bottom section of my airbox. Can't claim any horsepower gains (or losses), but it sounded great! I now have the K&N Typhoon on my Yaris.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
jonbert1024

Drives: Red 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
are you talking about the rubber hose from the intake manifold TO the filterbox? or those plastic ducts under the filter box taht direct air to it?

im sure he did the plastic ducts cuz if he did the one with the maf sensor the car would run like crap..

anywho, there is no noticable hp gain. i put a aftermarket cold air intake and dyno'd it before and after install.. i maybe gained 2 hp.. so if he is just removing some plastic pieces, there is no gain.. it may however make the intake sound louder but not alot.
Yeah he removed the plastic duct. So i guess just a bit louder then. I didnt really think it would make hp difference.
jonbert1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I believe you refer to the horn/silencer on the air box.

I take mine off in the winter to make a "warmer air intake". It does increase the intake noise a bit. I have a stainless screen I snap into the opening while the horn is off to keep the critters and such out.

In the summer I put the horn back on so air is drawn from the cooler area behind the headlight. This makes for noticeable gain in bottom end in warmer weather.

The carbon trap in the top of the intake box I removed. It is a restrictive mess. I carefully drilled out the 6 tabs that hold it in so I could put it back in if I ever want to for some reason.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
Blue Y job

Drives: 2007 Blue Yaris Hatch
When I first got mine, I removed the whole bottom of the airbox, and clamped the filter to the upper airbox. The power was better, and so was the sound at some rpms. But now I have a Simota SRi intake. Power and sound even better than airbox mod, looks awesome, AND very reasonable price! I would recommend this to anyone with the 1.5.
Blue Y job is offline   Reply With Quote