Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #19
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
not to forget that the Smart requires premium fuel....kind of defeats the purpose?
Yup.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #20
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick996 View Post
I'm glad you're not president. 10 miles may be short for you but not for some of us....and there are hills!
In Connecticut? Highest point is only 2380 ft above sea level.

Remember you can also go down those hills, and it is fun. Except when riding in traffic. There is actually one way to get honked at and yelled at more than when driving a Yaris.... today one guy yelled "you dumbass, get off the road", two cars honked to compel me to get out of the lane, I narrowly avoided hitting a person's door as they opened it (thanks to riding in the middle of the lane), and I was inches away from hitting a woman that rolled through a stop sign. Funny part is I read the PA guide to bicycling (http://www.drivesafepa.org/) yesterday, and applied the officially endorsed techniques for "taking control of the situations" and "controlling the lane", and it resulted in more unsatisfied motorists.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #21
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
In Connecticut? Highest point is only 2380 ft above sea level.

Remember you can also go down those hills, and it is fun. Except when riding in traffic. There is actually one way to get honked at and yelled at more than when driving a Yaris.... today one guy yelled "you dumbass, get off the road", two cars honked to compel me to get out of the lane, I narrowly avoided hitting a person's door as they opened it (thanks to riding in the middle of the lane), and I was inches away from hitting a woman that rolled through a stop sign. Funny part is I read the PA guide to bicycling (http://www.drivesafepa.org/) yesterday, and applied the officially endorsed techniques for "taking control of the situations" and "controlling the lane", and it resulted in more unsatisfied motorists.
Sounds famiiar! Ah, the joys of riding to work-everyday, a new adventure!
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #22
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I've been around a lot of the fuel tracking sites and most people with smart cars aren't getting much greater mileage than I get with my Yaris Auto. And I can fit A LOT more stuff and people in the Yaris.

I do like the idea of the Smart though and agree they would make a good commuter. I see quite a few around actually.

My wife said they were every where over in Italy when she was there.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #23
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
Bicycle to work! If I become President, which will never happen because I couldn't produce a birth certificate lol, I would ban all use of cars for short (<10 miles) to-from-work travel. Also, grocery runs can be made on a bicycle, it makes you buy less junk.
Obviously you've never experienced a southcentral Texas summer!

If you think biking 10 miles in triple-digit heat and hot, dusty winds is something folks are going to do; you're disillusion.

I did commute to work in Belgium on a full-suspension mountain bike nearly year-round, it was 7.5 miles each way and my ride home often included extended detours up to about double or triple the mileage. I enjoyed it but there were many more options for bicycling safely there that just don't exist in this country...

Cheers! M2
Old 06-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #24
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
While looking up how big the hills were in my area I ran into a great tool to show the elevation data for a trip. I will post it in a new thread.

OK, I posted in the Fuel Economy Forum here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...958#post584958

Last edited by rick996; 06-05-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Add link to new thread
rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #25
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I have driven a Smart and had no trouble with the transmission. I shifted it manually so as to get the best mileage. It was fine.

Didnt try to leave it to its own devices...
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote