Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
vincentg

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Gasoline smell upon ignition.

Hello. I havent noticed this since yesterday, after starting up the engine, went to the back the get the things fixed and i noticed that the smell coming out of the yaris smells like fuel. I tried to rev it up and the smell was gone.

Has anyone had this kind of trouble? What should i do?
I was thinking maybe get it tuned up and change the spark plugs.
I just bought this yaris 07 and its just 33kms.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
this is just my opinion so someone who knows more about these cars will need to chime in. But as far as i know cars start a little rich and a little gas smell on startup is normal but im not for sure. These new cars tho these days are getting so good it wouldnt be surprising to me if that was abnormal to smell any gas.

But I dont think plugs will change a gas smell at startup. That seams more like a Injector problem. Maybe one with a craped out spray pattern. and if the fuel isnt nice and atomized and its not all getting burned up that might explain alot. Not sure tho sorry mate

Best Luck
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
vincentg

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
so perhaps a tune up would be necessary?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
09sedan

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
on my old avalon , the exhaust fumes smelled like unburnt raw gasoline, changing the plugs solved that problem., replace all 4 of your plugs with new NGK iridiums or go buy em from the dealer (may be more expensive)

edit: just reread your post( still kinda sleepy here lol havent had my morning coffee yet!) at 33k kms your plugs should be fine, if its a cold start and the smell is there for a few seconds and goes away then its just the ECU throwing in some extra fuel to get the engine to start up . you shouldnt be worried about it..
09sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentg View Post
so perhaps a tune up would be necessary?
as 09sedan said plugs cured his problem so it might very slight probable might. cure your problem. But a "tune up" as im sure your aware at many places means nothing more than new plugs. I encourage you to try doing them yourself. I havent tried doing any of these new coil on plug type ignition systems. But plugs are the the easyest thing to do on a car.

The good part is that if you become confident at pulling the plugs, They serve as a "window" as to whats happening inside the combustion chamber. http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg But I really dont think that at 33kms anything should be happening like that. the car is still under waranty for gods sake

If it starts acting up take it in for a warranty repair at the dealership. Be firm with them and tell them what it is your expecting. dont let these "mechanics" walk all over you, nothing pisses me off more than being talked down to, especially at a car shop or watching someone else get talked down to, I actually had a Firestone mechanic talk down at me one time WHILE I WAS WEARING MY REPUBLIC AIRWAYS MECHANIC UNIFORM! it was quite insulting.

Best Luck
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote