Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
The switch to synthetic

Do you guys think I should just do it all in one oil change, or switch to a synthetic blend for a change or two then go to full synthetic. That's what the guy at the dealership was recommending, although I've usually just straight up switched.

My car's only got 23k on it, and no leaks whatsoever.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
full synthetic FTW. :)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
do you mean synthetic like mobil 1 or real synthetic? i've never heard of mixing it, seems silly. Besides, Mobil 1 and most so calles synthetics today are based on real oil.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
You could use Motorcraft semi synthetic 5w-30 ( 50 syn / 50 conv. or is it 60 syn / 40 conventional ) at under $3.50 a quart and then go to a full synthetic such as Pennzoil Platinum or other of your preference . Both of these can found at Wal-Mart at a reasonable price .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
I WOULD! infact I have. There is no reason not to. Unlike normal oil synthetics dont coke and lacquer like (soot and sludge) so you get a bonus that parts of your engine are protected better in a two pronged assault. 1. sludge and soot wont work there way between moving parts and act like a grinding paste. 2. soot and sludge wont build up and starve vital engine parts of precious oil (IE seals) This is why you hear people say "dont switch to synthetic after xxx miles it will ruin the engine. It didnt ruin the engine it just cleaned out the scab that conventional made on a failing seal. also 9 times out of 10 this is bullcrap. switch any time and switch back and forth if you want.

Also synthetics tend to flow better at colder temps and have a lower pour point meaning during startup when engine parts are most starved of oil synthetics move better and get to these critical parts and lubricate them before damage is done. also as a side benifit generally when you buy sythetic oil its not the "oil" that protects your engine its the additives like EP additives and cleaners. Generally when you step up to a synthetic you get more a more premium additive package. IE more Boron and Molly for protection and more calcium and sodium for cleaning. and soot protection.

I fully support a change to synthetic oil but here is my "OPINION!" If your going to change to a synthetic oil do it yourself. first off you will save a TON OF MONEY! second even tho these oil change places are giving you the synthetic oil they are still throwing the same cheep paper junk oil filter on there. If you are going to switch to synthetic i think your car also deserves a better filter. I am a big fan of purolator PureOne and the newly released Purolator Synthetic also if anyone hasnt caught on yet the bosh distance pluss is the same thing as the Purolator synthetic but has been out for longer same OEM mother company.

Best Luck Also if you have any additional concerns or oil questions i highly suggest this site http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ This will dispell any myths you might here and set your mind at ease :)

Last thing and i promise ill shutup. If you want to switch to synthetic my personal favorite is penzoil (platnum or ultra your pick) but any oil that meets specs is a good oil but those are just my favorites :)

Best Luck
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Just pick a synthetic that you like and change it. Synthetic oil isn't a magic potion that's going to transmogrify your engine. It's really high quality motor oil, but it's still just motor oil.

Any of the major brand synthetics should work out well for you.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
DARKSCOPE001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Little Pony View Post
Any of the major brand synthetics should work out well for you.
^ this ^ it says right on the BITOG front page " There is no best Oil" Any name brand oil is good im just a pennzoil fan myself but valvo makes a good one and there is a loyal following of mobil 1. PS. quaker is mabe by the same parent company as pennzoil dont let them kid you lol.

Also i want to post this as a dare for anyone wanting to make the swtich and not wanting to pay the high prices of oil shops for synthetic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruYAJIIg04I

If she can do it. YOU CAN TO!

Good Luck
Sean Scott
Old 04-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSCOPE001 View Post
^ this ^ it says right on the BITOG front page " There is no best Oil" Any name brand oil is good im just a pennzoil fan myself but valvo makes a good one and there is a loyal following of mobil 1. PS. quaker is mabe by the same parent company as pennzoil dont let them kid you lol.

Also i want to post this as a dare for anyone wanting to make the swtich and not wanting to pay the high prices of oil shops for synthetic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruYAJIIg04I

Good Luck
Sean Scott
lol anyone with the right tools can do an oil change, but please don't demean geisha. the crap they get trained for is insane.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
DARKSCOPE001

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
lol anyone with the right tools can do an oil change, but please don't demean geisha. the crap they get trained for is insane.
i wasnt demeaning geisha i just picked that one out of the 3 or 4 they have. they have one with an almish guy and and old lady. I just thought it was funny. the grandma one is pretty funny. and yes anyone can do it. I got some ramps and even bought a magnetic drain plug socket set. gona try it out tomorow on my stepbrothers car but it should be awesome.

Good Luck
Sean Scott
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSCOPE001 View Post

Good Luck
Sean Scott
Yeah I swear by Mobil 1 but I'm absolutely sure any other oil will do just as well.

I'm sure there's a difference between oils, but the difference is absolutely negligible.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote