![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#1 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#2 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws! Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
|
Quote:
I said to myself, this is not going to end pretty, there is not enough sales tax revenue to fund services......fast forward to now. They are wondering how they are going to pay to repave many roads. I have a feeling the resolution will be a parcel tax levied against owners of any real property. I'm glad I sold that property Each of our 50 states seems to have some part of the puzzle wrong. I don't know what the answer is. If each state could have the 'don't sweat the small stuff' attitude and part of the natural beauty of California, the academic results of some northeastern states, and nearly everything else about Texas, I would be happy. However, that combination is probably a pipe dream. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 4,783
|
Yes and the sedan has the 1.6 engine whereas the hatch has the old inefficient 1.8 133 hp gass guzzler.
The sedan was made hundreds of pounds lighter too which helps. Gee if i could find one I might buy it! But "good luck with that"
__________________
Synthetic Oil: Its All In Your Head |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
i would definitely pass on a car made in China, but your strong opinion on getting one doesnt surprise me, as your one of the people who would be willing to pay less for a less safe car (as evidenced by the statement quoted above), and if i remember correctly, your the person who thought the spammer selling phones for cheap was real.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2020 Corolla Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 549
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
0-60 in slow
Drives: light blue liftback Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: so cal
Posts: 926
|
Since no one here has ever had the joy of sitting in a brand new Chinese made vehicle or seeing a crash tested Chinese made vehicle I can tell you my story.
The company I work for has contracts with several firms and one of those firms makes cars in China so we see them from time to time here in the shop. Sitting in a brand new Chinese car isn't like sitting in a car made in Korea, France, Poland, or even Mexico the quality of the materials can appear nice at first but its quickly obvious that it's built down to a cost you can tell because the new car smell isn't what your used to here and we joke around the office that its the new cancer smell because it almost gives you the feeling like your breathing in mercury or lead or something else poisonous. Well one of the things we also had to do here was demonstrate a 5 mph test, and I'll tell you this unless the quality of the metals that Chinese OEM's use improves I'll never and I repeat that never ride in one. The 5 mph test resulted in FRAME damage so we had to reinforce the front structure so much that it gained a bunch of weight simply to pass the minor accident test. Just because the Yaris results in more injury claims doesn't mean its a dangerous car, statistics can be very misleading and even more so when someone has an agenda. |
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws! Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 4,783
|
Quote:
I drove VW Beetles hundreds of thousands of miles in the 70s and 80s. No ABS. No airbags. No "crush zones", no nothing. The gas tank is right in your lap, theres no engine in front of you to absorb energy in a frontal crash, the brakes are manually adjusted drums all around (no power assist either) and the car is completely directionably unstable. But at least you are inside something, unlike the motorcycles I have also ridden for a like number of miles over thrity years. Any mistakes by yourself or others results in unpleasentness. Safety in driving machines begins and ends in your head. Because of things like airbags the public is under the impression they are "safe" in modern vehicles. (airbags result in something called "degloving" as well as amputation to an alarming degree while minimizing other things) Good luck with that!
__________________
Synthetic Oil: Its All In Your Head |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: York,Pa
Posts: 344
|
We will never see one in the states....
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 | |
|
0-60 in slow
Drives: light blue liftback Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: so cal
Posts: 926
|
Quote:
To reiterate my point there is no consistency with the metal that's used to make one car to another because they don't have that level of Q/C of the materials going into it, don't expect a Chinese car to do 200-300k on the chassis it will be well worn out before then. I don't expect the Chinese quality to get any better there is no war that there recovering from the population is to large to demand better labor conditions and the social difference between the Chinese and Japanese are the reason why the Chinese will likely never get better. The Japanese will copy something and make a better product easy example were all the knockoff British cars from the 60's and 70's which ended up being better than the cars they were based off, where as the Chinese will copy something to make you look like you have the original product but not pay the price for it ie the huge fake Rolex and Gucci knockoff market in China. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws! Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
|
I recognized the aforementioned phone guy as a spammer. Just because Bronsin happened to be gullible re this 'incident' doesn't invalidate his opinion re what the car industry wants to make us put up with. I feel it is an ad hominem illustration. Some people might feel that including safety features like ABS and airbags on his list might invalidate his opinion re cars. I don't agree with including those items, but I think that is a bit harsh......and I'm more cynical and sarcastic than most people I encounter....just my two cents. Some people might roll their eyes and feel I'm only expressing this particular opinion because I largely agree with Bronsin, but this isn't the case. I like to chide Bronsin about other things, but I don't think anything re the phone spammer is relevant to any other Yarisworld threads.....again, just my two cents.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 4,783
|
Quote:
You might not be as smart as you think.
__________________
Synthetic Oil: Its All In Your Head |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2020 Corolla Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 549
|
True .. but given a choice I will take the safety features in the Yaris. Your opinion obviously differs from some .. and I respect that. Sorry for making a comment that may be negative, but your desire to rid our cars of its safety features is in my opinion just plain stupid. Enough said.
I think you will find that your desires will never happen as society demands these features in our cars (whether this is good or bad remains to be seen), and I don't think you will see them being removed anytime soon. |
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: York,Pa
Posts: 344
|
Guys,
Who in there right mind would buy this car anyway. It will never meet saftey standards. This is like the Yugo,a shit box... |
|
|
|
|
|
#15 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 4,783
|
See the post "The Most Dangerous Car in America?"
Even with all those "safety" features you want you're driving the most dangerous car made. Better to drive defensively if you want to be safe. But by all means "go for it".
__________________
Synthetic Oil: Its All In Your Head |
|
|
|
|
|
#16 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws! Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
|
Quote:
), the only items that are directly related to safety are the ABS and the air bags. Some people might find the other things you mentioned nice or necessary, but they aren't directly related to safety. People have different things that they want to spend their money on, even while staying within the realm of their car or cars. I don't like paying more than I need to for something that I want or need, but I dislike even more having to buy some feature that I don't want that is 'glommed onto a bundled order' so to speak -- the 'high optioned' local new Toyota inventory you've mentioned in your posts would be an example of this.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#17 |
|
Super Moderator
Drives: 2014 White VITZ Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huntington Bch, CA
Posts: 4,936
|
For the time being, I would never consider any Chinese made car.
BTW, here's a 2012 Daihatsu Charade: Look familiar! |
|
|
|
|
|
#18 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: toyota yaris yrs Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 642
|
Quote:
All I have to do is get the badge off my Daihatsu Charade G200 and sticker on the back like so.. ![]() And stick it on My 2007 Toyota Yaris YRS. ![]() ![]() Daihatsu has some revvy engine though.Pretty fun to drive around in |
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| ImportRacer88's Photo Scavenger Hunt | ImportRacer88 | General Yaris / Vitz Discussion | 8 | 02-28-2012 04:19 AM |
| Toyota recalling 1.53 million cars globally | fnkngrv | Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions | 2 | 10-21-2010 02:26 PM |
| Arkhangel - Photo-Scavenger Hunt | Arkhangel | Photo-Video-Media Gallery | 0 | 03-01-2009 02:03 PM |