Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Pot Holes Prevention

I want to know what I can do to reduce the damage pot holes can cause to a car ?

Better suspensions ?
Larger Tires
Better Shocks ?

Or a combined two ?
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
atxsteve1

Drives: THE RED HATCHY
Funny lol...
atxsteve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaBird View Post
I want to know what I can do to reduce the damage pot holes can cause to a car ?

Better suspensions ?
Larger Tires
Better Shocks ?

Or a combined two ?
Drive around them??
Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
That is nice to say, but not always possible in the real world. People usually expect you to go near the speed limit of roads, and in any type of traffic you might be able to see 10 feet in front of you. Even at only 40 mph, you won't get much time to react.

If your car is stock though, don't worry. Well worry about those wheels, because they bend easily.

The easiest way to help is get tires with lots of sidewall, and wheels that can handle a pounding. The rest of the car should be fine, unless the potholes are the size of the wheel, and with those you should just come to a total stop in the middle of the road and go around.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
YodaBird

Any recommendations for tire with best side wall ?
What about shocks, wouldn't they help with pot holes, or only tires ?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
That is nice to say, but not always possible in the real world. People usually expect you to go near the speed limit of roads, and in any type of traffic you might be able to see 10 feet in front of you. Even at only 40 mph, you won't get much time to react.

If your car is stock though, don't worry. Well worry about those wheels, because they bend easily.

The easiest way to help is get tires with lots of sidewall, and wheels that can handle a pounding. The rest of the car should be fine, unless the potholes are the size of the wheel, and with those you should just come to a total stop in the middle of the road and go around.
In my experience, roads (in general) are in a lot better condition in CA than they are in MA. Let's say (just to aid in my point) that you and AR 12 have exactly the same level of driving skill. I think AR 12 would have a better chance of avoiding potholes on the roads of CA than you would avoiding potholes on the roads of MA....but admittedly, I haven't driven out on your peninsula.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I know of nothing you can do to the car to reduce the effect of hitting potholes.

If your commute is potholy perhaps you can go another way?

Me Ive gone the same way to work for 34 years. So I know where the potholes are and position the car to miss them.

Same with driving around town.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I know of nothing you can do to the car to reduce the effect of hitting potholes.

Me Ive gone the same way to work for 34 years. So I know where the potholes are and position the car to miss them.

LOL. Sounds as if you could almost drive to work with your eyes closed!
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
YodaBird

I said what can I do to the car that can reduce pot hole damage, not how I can avoid pot holes
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
I said what can I do to the car that can reduce pot hole damage, not how I can avoid pot holes
People answered your question:

Quote:
I know of nothing you can do to the car to reduce the effect of hitting potholes...
Quote:
...If your car is stock though, don't worry. Well worry about those wheels, because they bend easily.

...and technically, avoiding them is something you can do to the car to reduce pot hole...

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
The only way we can avoid this is to work from home, lol.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:

You haven't been to Ontario. I hit a pot hole so deep my car bottomed out. The worst part was I was already absolutely crawling.

It gets even worse at night and when they are filled with water and you can't judge the depth of them.

I'm pretty sure I've swerved so hard I've only had 3 wheels on the ground more than a couple of times to avoid some massive potholes.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
YodaBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
You haven't been to Ontario. I hit a pot hole so deep my car bottomed out. The worst part was I was already absolutely crawling.

It gets even worse at night and when they are filled with water and you can't judge the depth of them.

I'm pretty sure I've swerved so hard I've only had 3 wheels on the ground more than a couple of times to avoid some massive potholes.
Thank you :) What can be done about it, to reduce the damage, once again I ask
Old 03-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Nothing afaik.

I've got snow tires on OEM steel wheels, instead of lug centric shitty multifit steel wheels. That will reduce the risk of things going wrong in that department.

Short of finding some kind of light truck tire that would fit a yaris I'm not sure there is anything that can be done mechanically.

The best thing to do is avoid the bad roads. I take a longer/slower route downtown since the most direct route is too damn rough.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #15
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Sell your Yaris, get an SUV.
Still can't beat the potholes in Florida.
Oh wait, those aren't potholes.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Stubborn isnt he?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Stubborn isnt he?
I know, right?
How many people have to say, "There's not much you can do, other than avoid them" in slightly different ways does it take?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
Nothing afaik. ... I'm not sure there is anything that can be done mechanically.

The best thing to do is avoid the bad roads. I take a longer/slower route downtown since the most direct route is too damn rough.
Quote:

If your commute is potholy perhaps you can go another way? ...
Quote:
... If your car is stock though, don't worry. Well worry about those wheels, because they bend easily.

The easiest way to help is get tires with lots of sidewall, and wheels that can handle a pounding. ...
Let me add my $0.02:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03
There's not much you can do about your suspension, tires, wheel, etc. to help you not damage your suspension from doing what it's supposed to do anyways. But, you can try to avoid potholes.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
In my experience, roads (in general) are in a lot better condition in CA than they are in MA. Let's say (just to aid in my point) that you and AR 12 have exactly the same level of driving skill. I think AR 12 would have a better chance of avoiding potholes on the roads of CA than you would avoiding potholes on the roads of MA....but admittedly, I haven't driven out on your peninsula.
The roads are bad. Of course in winter every time it freezes new bumps and holes develop as well.

But seriously, sidewall. You put 60+ inches of sidewall and that should be enough cushioning to reduce impact a quite a bit. And good wheels. I have 14" forged wheels. In the 4 years I have owned them they have taken a pounding that would have destroyed more than a few stock wheels, and they are still perfect. I did destroy two stock wheels in the 2 years I drove the car before that as well.

As for other damage? You can't do anything but slow down and try and avoid them. I've hit my frame on the road because of a pothole before, can't really do anything except know the car should be able to take it.

There is no magic road flattener.