Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Drifting: will it tilt?

Hi there,
I was on a wet parking range (without cars standing around) some weeks ago.
I always wondered what drifting with the yaris would be like, but I'm scared it could flip on the side or even over.
The only time I drifted with a car was inintentionally when I climbed up a hill during heavy rain with a Mercedes 190 (rear-driven sedan), decelerated and steered a bit too hard - I had a lot of luck nothing was damaged.

Does someone have experience at drifting with the yaris?
I'm throwing it heavily around the curves already, but even with winter tires and a wet road, I could not get it to drift with the sideways acceleration in the comfort zone

(I have no VSC etc., just ABS (whis has proven to be useful when I had to brake on a muddy place))
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
To drift a car, it needs to be rear wheel drive. That being said, you can make it slide a good ways.

With a pickup truck, you can punch the gas hard and the rear slides around. the idea is to control that looseness of the rear end in a continuous slide. You have to have a continuous loss of traction (or very little traction) in order to "drift" the car. Basically you do this with the driven wheels.

In a yaris, you can have fun with it going around a corner and popping the hand brake though I don't recommend it. With my given setup, the front lets loose before th rear though I do have a hefty sway bar and stiff springs on the car.

I don't want to say that drifting with a yaris is impossible (nothing is truly impossible) but it definitely isn't typical.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
dj92
Embracing Curves

The understeer is somehat thrilling.
I think I've had it twice (but did not want it at that time) slightly while flipping around the corner behind a stop light.
Quickly steering to the other side prevented crashes both times :D
ATM, I get the impression that the rear wheels slightly move out of the curve (but don't really slide), but maybe it's just me driving subconsciously close to the ideal line^^
Old 02-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
did not tip over..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0JYTe2W5nQ

neither did this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP5hEPK0sjs

this one flipped over thought..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mFoQtpsVQA
and this one too.. (almost)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
dj92
Embracing Curves

Looks good :D
(considering the amount of misfortune I have, I'll hit a curb anyway - and this WILL flip it over )
Sadly, almost no snow has fallen here this winter (at least at places which are good for drifting)
Old 02-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
klaery

Drives: ZR yaris
Haha I remember my first FWD 4age hatchi rolla. Maccas trays under the rear wheels, handbrake on.. Good luck!

P.s. I do not advise doing this. It is dangerous blah blah etc. We were all stupid once.
klaery is offline   Reply With Quote