![]() |
|
|
|
#19 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: No more Yaris Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Montana
Posts: 177
|
...comes a time when you've been there, done that.
I've driven a Fuller Road-Ranger ten-speed non-synchro. Floated the gears. Been there, done that; and since selling a manual is harder, when the time comes...why fight it? I have the start of arthritis in the hips. To the point: I wonder how Mazda's drivetrain is gonna hold up next to Toyota's. Not all Japanese cars or engines are alike. Mitsubushi's V6s in Dodge products were not ANYWHERE near as reliable as Toyota engines; they were not any better than Dodge's own engines. The Geo was a great car - while it lasted. 100,000 was its life; and I had three and can speak with authority. Will this be another lemon Toyota makes? The flat-front van was a turkey; and not just because it rusted. It didn't have the strongest engine, either, and it wasn't cheap to repair when it did have problems. |
|
|
|
|
|
#20 | ||
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,179
|
Quote:
As for crank windows? I think their days are numbered. Although the trouble free simplicity is nice, I would never buy a car without power accessories again. My Yaris is manual and I always wish I had power. Quote:
That being said, a 4 speed just doesn't cut it anymore. Especially when 6 speeds are becoming common. They provide smoother shifting and more efficiency. That's what a majority of buyers are looking for. |
||
|
|
|
|
|
#21 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,179
|
Quote:
Although a Mazda is no Toyota in terms of longevity, I wouldn't hesitate buying a Mazda. Historically, they have been very well made. I have faith that this collaboration will work nicely. This Yaris replacement will no doubt fall short of the Yaris' unbelievable reliability, but it should prove to be a great car. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#22 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
|
The 1.3 ltr. used in the Ford Festiva ( Mazda 121 ) can / could last for 200,000+ miles .
|
|
|
|
|
|
#23 |
|
Only Happy When it Rains
|
I guess most super cars and sports cars are never driven by "real men," since most don't come with manuals anymore. Try telling F1 drivers they are not "real men."
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple |
|
|
|
|
|
#24 |
|
25, 550 MILES!
|
My testosterone levels are way too high to be driving a manual transmission anymore
|
|
|
|
|
|
#25 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws! Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
|
Quote:
.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#26 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,179
|
That's the thing with today's automatics. They've now surpassed manuals in performance and efficiency. Other than enjoyment and durability, those were main selling points for sticks.
Automakers such as Lamborghini, Ferrari, & Porsche will tell you that you wouldn't be able to drive their cars as quick rowing the gears yourself. |
|
|
|
|
|
#27 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: No more Yaris Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Montana
Posts: 177
|
Quote:
My 2009 Yaris was a manual. It was, IMHO, an imperfect setup. The electric accelerator didn't allow for easy double-clutch gear-syncronizing - as in a downshift at speed in traffic. Goose the pedal, and the computer would ignore it. Stab it again, and it would over-rev...and hold the high rev for half a second. Annoying. Manual transmissions are a soon-to-be dead technology - like carburetors and distributors and points and condenser. It is what it is...some change is very good, and some, depressing...but there's no stopping progress. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#28 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws! Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#29 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws! Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#30 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws! Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
|
Also, try (in a pinch) to compression start an automatic. I've been told that, technically, it is possible....but I've never seen it happen.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#31 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
|
The MAZDA 2 manual has a smooth engaging clutch and precise shifting . It's the easiest I've ever encountered in 30 years of driving . Much better than that of the 1st and 2nd generation Yaris . Hopefully that'll carry over . Maybe I could get the other 1/2 to drive a standard again
.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: No more Yaris Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Montana
Posts: 177
|
Quote:
That ended with the Power-Glide. Chevrolet's old two-speed automatic could be push-started...I can't imagine how that worked, but the old-timers say it was possible. The then-new-in-the-1960s corporate TurboHydraMatic, used across all GM car lines and even with International Harvester and Kaiser Jeep, did away with that flow circuit. A THC automatic being pushed to start would play dumb, right until the bearings burned for lack of lubrication. I have never heard of a Toyota automatic being able to be push-started. It's not like it might be a hidden-feature; it has to be designed in, with flow pumps that work both ways, from input either on the engine side or the output shaft. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#33 | ||
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws! Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
|
Quote:
Quote:
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
#34 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws! Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
|
Yeah. Over the years (with different cars), if I had a situation where the car wouldn't quite turn over and start, I always knew that (if the car had a manual transmission) I could push the car, gain some momentum, get in the car, put it in gear, and let out the clutch to start the car. Most of the cars I've had with manual transmissions have been small, relatively light cars. I like knowing this is a possible easy solution to being stranded, and I have (at times) utilized this procedure.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#35 | |
|
Mr. 155 and climbing
Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In The Hotbox
Posts: 4,742
|
Quote:
Who's to say that they use a Mazda transmission though? The reason why you see the same transmission for example in the FR-S/BRZ/86 stable is because it is an Aisin transmission which is or course a "different" manufacturer altogether and provides transmissions for several companies over the years. I never bothered to really look at it, but in other Toyota collaborations do they use the same transmissions in them? For example the Corolla/Prism, etc?
__________________
Team Tiamat Racing on Facebook Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#36 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,179
|
There's certainly a possibility that the transmissions will be shared. Would make sense to mate the same transmissions with the same engine across models. Remember also that the platform itself is being shared.
You do have to wonder why Toyota is going this route in the first place. Toyota sells more small cars world wide than any other company. There's numerous options for Toyota to use for a North American subcompact. They would "simply" need to outfit a factory in the US or Mexico or even Canada to build it. Building the Yaris in Japan and shipping it here is why it makes no money. Why would they need to use a tiny company (compared to Toyota) to build their subcompact? I'd expect this to be the other way around (Toyota building Mazda’s subcompact). |
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| The Nitrous Thread | ChinoCharles | Performance Modifications | 116 | 02-16-2016 03:07 PM |
| DIY: Intake Installation | redyaris | DIY / Maintenance / Service | 53 | 08-23-2014 05:34 AM |
| The last gas question | Tonavi | DIY / Maintenance / Service | 56 | 04-27-2009 08:40 PM |
| engine swap update | Adriaan | Canada | 5 | 03-03-2009 06:21 PM |
| Info regarding Engine change. | sheraz2000 | General Yaris / Vitz Discussion | 5 | 01-08-2009 12:51 AM |