Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyT8 View Post
So I decided to go with the Costco Battery and when I went in today to buy one the clerk told me it was not available for the 2007 Yaris? I find that hard to believe since the Yaris is a economical car. So I was wondering how did you get one for your Yaris at Costco? Do you have the model number? Thanks

PS I'll probably go with Walmart EverStart.

***Update just got back from Walmart and there batteries are not compatible either; what gives? I'll try DieHard or my Duralast and be done with it.
IllusionX is correct re series 35 being the series that is supposed to be for the Yaris. However, you are also correct...Wal-Mart's Series 35 doesn't fit (stock) in the Yaris. The OEM battery in my 2007 Yaris lasted about 138,000 miles and from 10/7/06 to 9/12(?)/09 (just under 3 years). I went to Wal-Mart to replace it. Their Series 35 wouldn't fit, and they refused to put in any battery at all. They said they could only install the battery that their 'manual' specified, or else they would be 'liable' . I went to Sears. Their Series 35 wouldn't fit either, but they OK'd putting in a Series 26R (1 year guarantee)..their cheapest battery. That battery lasted exactly 3 years to the day and 87.000 + miles. By that time, Sears had eliminated their 1yr Guarantee battery, and the 2yr guarantee battery was $20.00++ more than the previous 1yr battery. Wal-Mart still had a 1yr Guarantee 26R that was the same price the Sears 1yr Guarantee battery had been 3 years before that. I took the car to a different Wal-Mart from the one I'd taken it to 3 years before that. I had to go through the tech trying to put in a series 35 (it didn't fit again...same as 3 years before that), until he then agreed to put in the 26R. That 26R only lasted about 16 months and about 49,000 miles. By that time, I knew CTScott uses the NAPA Legend in his Yarii and decided to get the NAPA Legend.....$121 and change and then $10 to a local shop to put it in. The cost of the previous Sears battery, plus the cost of the Wal-Mart EverStart 3 years later, plus installation for both = literally only a few pennies (less that a dollar) of difference from the $121 and change + $10 installation for the NAPA Legend. The NAPA Legend is well worth it....a great battery. The NAPA Legend series 35 fits in the Yaris. The reason the Wal-Mart series 35 doesn't fit stock isn't that it won't 'sit and have enough clearance', it's that the clamp won't fit over the top of the battery. Some people have customized the clamp to get it to fit, but isn't buying a battery that fits an easier proposition?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
MoneyT8

Drives: White Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
IllusionX is correct re series 35 being the series that is supposed to be for the Yaris. However, you are also correct...Wal-Mart's Series 35 doesn't fit (stock) in the Yaris. The OEM battery in my 2007 Yaris lasted about 138,000 miles and from 10/7/06 to 9/12(?)/09 (just under 3 years). I went to Wal-Mart to replace it. Their Series 35 wouldn't fit, and they refused to put in any battery at all. They said they could only install the battery that their 'manual' specified, or else they would be 'liable' . I went to Sears. Their Series 35 wouldn't fit either, but they OK'd putting in a Series 26R (1 year guarantee)..their cheapest battery. That battery lasted exactly 3 years to the day and 87.000 + miles. By that time, Sears had eliminated their 1yr Guarantee battery, and the 2yr guarantee battery was $20.00++ more than the previous 1yr battery. Wal-Mart still had a 1yr Guarantee 26R that was the same price the Sears 1yr Guarantee battery had been 3 years before that. I took the car to a different Wal-Mart from the one I'd taken it to 3 years before that. I had to go through the tech trying to put in a series 35 (it didn't fit again...same as 3 years before that), until he then agreed to put in the 26R. That 26R only lasted about 16 months and about 49,000 miles. By that time, I knew CTScott uses the NAPA Legend in his Yarii and decided to get the NAPA Legend.....$121 and change and then $10 to a local shop to put it in. The cost of the previous Sears battery, plus the cost of the Wal-Mart EverStart 3 years later, plus installation for both = literally only a few pennies (less that a dollar) of difference from the $121 and change + $10 installation for the NAPA Legend. The NAPA Legend is well worth it....a great battery. The NAPA Legend series 35 fits in the Yaris. The reason the Wal-Mart series 35 doesn't fit stock isn't that it won't 'sit and have enough clearance', it's that the clamp won't fit over the top of the battery. Some people have customized the clamp to get it to fit, but isn't buying a battery that fits an easier proposition?
I just went to Pep Boys and bought a Prostart battery that fits perfect and has a 2 year replacement with 72 month pro-rated @ about $95 after core. The next time I just may consider the OEM Toyota Battery, I heard it will last for a very long time and is very dependable. Thanks guys.
MoneyT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #21
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyT8 View Post
I just went to Pep Boys and bought a Prostart battery that fits perfect and has a 2 year replacement with 72 month pro-rated @ about $95 after core. The next time I just may consider the OEM Toyota Battery, I heard it will last for a very long time and is very dependable. Thanks guys.

You can't really find the Panasonic battery anywhere. Even our local Toyota dealers don't sell then. They actually sell batteries manufactured locally.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #22
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I'm still on my stock Toyota battery. It felt a bit weaker last year so I popped open each tab to access the cells and topped it off with some distilled water, put the tabs back on, shook it up, and put it on a slow charger for a few days. Seems to be running stronger so far but then again I live in an area where the weather doesn't get too extreme.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #23
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
The OEM battery in my 2007 Yaris lasted about 138,000 miles and from 10/7/06 to 9/12(?)/09 (just under 3 years).
Is the normal "life" of the original battery? I am used to original batteries lasting 5~7 years. The "mini-battery" (smaller than normal but a little bigger than a motorcycle battery) in my Miata lasted about 7 years and 160,000 miles. I've noticed that my car is taking longer to start and it turns over more slowly, lately (3.5 years and 110,000 miles)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07liftback View Post
I'm still on my stock Toyota battery. It felt a bit weaker last year so I popped open each tab to access the cells and topped it off with some distilled water, put the tabs back on, shook it up, and put it on a slow charger for a few days. Seems to be running stronger so far but then again I live in an area where the weather doesn't get too extreme.
I wonder if this will help; I should check my electrolyte levels, I guess... Or should I just get a new battery...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #24
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stlYaris View Post
Optima Group 35 yellowtop for me. I figured I had one in my Vanagon for 11 years before it finally crapped so I can hope for 5-7 with this one.
Another big Optima fan here...

The last red top in my truck lasted 10 years, replaced it with the same kind. When I bought a new truck, I moved it.

What I like about Optimas are that they will NEVER NEVER EVER leak even one tiny drop of acid... even if they're installed upside down.

My 2012 Yaris is still on the factory battery, but when the time comes, it'll get an Optima.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #25
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
You can't really find the Panasonic battery anywhere. Even our local Toyota dealers don't sell then. They actually sell batteries manufactured locally.
I suspect your Toyota dealer can get one if you REALLY pushed hard. When the battery in my IS300 died, the dealer told me they can get the Panasonic battery if I REALLY just HAD to have the factory original battery. It was in their catalog but it cost $$$$$. It's been a while but, a generic lead acid battery was about $70. An AGM battery at O'Reilly (which I bought) was about $150 (?). The factory Panasonic was, I think, something like $400...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Is the normal "life" of the original battery? I am used to original batteries lasting 5~7 years. The "mini-battery" (smaller than normal but a little bigger than a motorcycle battery) in my Miata lasted about 7 years and 160,000 miles. I've noticed that my car is taking longer to start and it turns over more slowly, lately (3.5 years and 110,000 miles)...
The 'rule of thumb' that I've come to know here in SE Texas (among car owners and auto industry people) is that the 'can be brutal' summer heat here shortens the life of the batteries in passenger vehicles. On a similar thread I wondered if this was an 'old wive's tale' 'local legend', etc. or if someone had information re this being true. It is true. CTScott replied, briefly explaining the effects both extreme heat and extreme cold have on a battery and at what temperatures the effects could be expected. Sorry I can't remember more info that might make that easier to find.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Another big Optima fan here...

The last red top in my truck lasted 10 years, replaced it with the same kind. When I bought a new truck, I moved it.

What I like about Optimas are that they will NEVER NEVER EVER leak even one tiny drop of acid... even if they're installed upside down.

My 2012 Yaris is still on the factory battery, but when the time comes, it'll get an Optima.

Greg
Did your purchase occur before or after Optima moved the factory to Mexico? I've heard some horror stories re the made in Mexico Optimas.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #28
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
did it today

I signed up with Napa and they sent me 10% off coupon and we got the Napa 7535 battery. Around $109 with tax. Good stats, fits perfect. Also if it is good enough for CTScott, it is good enough for me. We did not want to wait for the old one to fail. It was starting to swell as old batteries do and it was 6 years old.
BTW, what do you guys think about battery protectors (felt washers) and synthetic Dielectric grease placed on the terminals after hookup?

alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:13 AM   #29
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
I signed up with Napa and they sent me 10% off coupon and we got the Napa 7535 battery. Around $109 with tax. Good stats, fits perfect. Also if it is good enough for CTScott, it is good enough for me. We did not want to wait for the old one to fail. It was starting to swell as old batteries do and it was 6 years old.
BTW, what do you guys think about battery protectors (felt washers) and synthetic Dielectric grease placed on the terminals after hookup?

I always grease the terminals. Have been for years on both my daily drivers and work cars. Being in Canada its always good to get some grease on there in the event they get rusted or corroded. I've never had an issue with DE grease on the terminals.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #30
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
Also if it is good enough for CTScott, it is good enough for me.
Yep.

I wish the 10% off coupon had been around when I got mine.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #31
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I always put new red and green felt washers on the battery terminals when I replace my batteries plus dielectric grease. Have had little or no corrosion on the battery terminals for the life of the battery.
Roy
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:50 AM   #32
nookandcrannycar

Earlier tonight I decided to start my 2007 Yaris (in the garage, with the door open) for the first time in 2 weeks (since driving home after the fender bender on 10/7/14). I crossed my fingers before turning the key. I needn't have. It started up as if the last time I'd driven it was a few minutes ago . Love that NAPA Legend battery.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #33
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limo 2 View Post
I always put new red and green felt washers on the battery terminals when I replace my batteries plus dielectric grease. Have had little or no corrosion on the battery terminals for the life of the battery.
Roy
Thats good but so is plain old wheel bearing grease.

My duaghter drives her Camry 40,000 miles a year. She has massive problems with battery terminal corrosion. Theres two inches thick corrosion on top of the battery and corrosion on a nearby computer and the fuse box. Unfortunately I didnt put wheel bearing grease on her battery when she got it.

My wife drives her Camry about 12,000 milesa year and has moderate corrision problems. About every two years the terminals need to be cleaned and flushed with baking soda solution if you dont grease them up good. But its only a tenth as bad as my daughters car.

My Yaris gets ~5000 miles a year and has zero problens with corrosion even if the terminals arent greased.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #34
IllusionX

Quote:
Earlier tonight I decided to start my 2007 Yaris (in the garage, with the door open) for the first time in 2 weeks (since driving home after the fender bender on 10/7/14). I crossed my fingers before turning the key. I needn't have. It started up as if the last time I'd driven it was a few minutes ago . Love that NAPA Legend battery.
2 weeks is not enough to drain the battery below 11v to not start the car, and obviously not long enough so it chocks a bit to start.

but at around 4 weeks, now it should be a little harder to start. At least, under extreme cold (-30c/-22f)
Old 10-25-2014, 01:13 AM   #35
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Hey all, quick question. I've read here on the forum about quite a few people getting 4+ years out of their OEM Yaris battery. Isn't that really good? Why not just buy another OEM battery from Toyota if they last so long? Is there something I'm missing?

My 2008 Yaris' car battery finally died on me after 6 years (61k) and I'm thinking if it lasted that long, shouldn't I just get another OEM battery from the dealer so I can get a lot of years out of it? My local dealership has a coupon for a Toyota True Start 84 month battery for $129, installed. Is that a good price? I'm assuming that's the same OEM battery that comes with the Yaris, right?

Is there any specific reason why I should avoid the OEM/Toyota True Start battery and instead go with a name brand like the Napa Legend that's been mentioned here?
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:58 AM   #36
IllusionX

The OEM battery is a Panasonic battery which can't be found here. Toyota dealers resell locally made batteries usually.