Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
BlueCar1967

Drives: yaris
2013 Yaris questions-4-cylinder engine and Honda Fit

I am within inches of buying a 2013 4-door Yaris hatchback.

Been doing some online research and I keep running into "buy a Honda Fit instead" because of the Yaris having a 4-cylinder transmission. I hear the Fit has more pep and stronger engine.

But I need a car soon and I'm tired of shopping. I have always loved Toyotas but my last toyota was a 1989 corolla and my current car is a Ford Escape..and this is my LAST Ford EVER!

Can anyone comment on the fit versus yaris? This is the first car I have purchased in years and I'm nervous enough as it is! Big decision for me financially.
BlueCar1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I'm not very well versed in the latest generation of Fit VS Yaris, but from a mechanical POV they are both very good options. You won't go wrong with either choice. Things I notice different between Fits and Yaris are:
-Fit rides rougher, yet the Yaris handles better
-Fit engine management is faster to react (better)
-Fit is a fair bit more $$$
-Fit M/T shifter is much nicer than Yaris

Really after that, it comes down to which car has the better options, and price, to suite your tastes. Both are proven reliable, and similar have costs to run/repair.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either one. When I was shopping to replace my last car (VW Golf TDI...never again), it came down to the Yaris and Fit as finalists. The Fit was a very close second. The interior of the Fit is nicer and more practical, but I preferred the Yaris exterior. The Yaris also handled better IMO but be aware I bought a SE model. Both are very reliable but Yaris is slightly ahead here and with MPG as well. Overall I just liked the Yaris better but as I said I don't think you would be disappointed by either one. YMMV.

Oh also I am talking about the last generation Fit not the new 2015 model.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
If you are used to utilizing the room in the Escape, you might want to pick the Fit because of the so called 'magical seat' (the back seat with all of the different folding options). In 2007 and 2008 (when not on long trips, etc.) I lived with my cousin. She bought an Escape to be able to put a car seat (for my little cousin) on the back seat and (behind that) a good sized dog on her blanket in the cargo area, as well as alternately being able to carry valuable art or sports gear (bikes, ski gear, etc.). Occasionally she would need what my Yaris had to offer, and we would switch vehicles for the day. Her Escape has been pretty reliable, but she only really puts miles on it on weekends (only abouit 15 miles per day during the week).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:39 AM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
and with MPG as well.
I get the impression from Hershey's posts that he has to put in more effort driving style wise to get the same MPG in his Fits that he did in his Yaris.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
BlueCar1967

ahh...the escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
If you are used to utilizing the room in the Escape, you might want to pick the Fit because of the so called 'magical seat' (the back seat with all of the different folding options). In 2007 and 2008 (when not on long trips, etc.) I lived with my cousin. She bought an Escape to be able to put a car seat (for my little cousin) on the back seat and (behind that) a good sized dog on her blanket in the cargo area, as well as alternately being able to carry valuable art or sports gear (bikes, ski gear, etc.). Occasionally she would need what my Yaris had to offer, and we would switch vehicles for the day. Her Escape has been pretty reliable, but she only really puts miles on it on weekends (only abouit 15 miles per day during the week).
Thanks for the response. I will miss my escape. It's a 2004 with a sunroof and leather interior and drives great. It has been a decent car but the past two years, I have had it in the shop about every six weeks it seems with at least a $400 bill. I'm always wondering what is next! I drove my 1989 corolla from 1991 till I bought the escape in 2008 and had no major repairs...and it was still going strong! I gave it to my brother as a commuter car. I guess I want that Toyota reliability again.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:02 AM   #7
BlueCar1967

Thanks everyone!

I think I have fallen for this little Yaris. I agree with one of you who said they didn't like the Honda Fit body style as much..and I agree. I keep my cars for so long that this is a big decision for me and I appreciate the info!!
Old 11-20-2014, 06:01 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yaris is cheaper.

Yaris comes in a 2 door which the Fit does not. The 2 door is easier to get yourself and things in and out of than a four door.

I might be wrong but I think the Yaris is higher up in the air which also makes getting in and out of it easier.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
hondajt

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE 5Dr
They sit VERY differently.

I'm almost 6' and weighing about 285 pounds with long legs and arms. For me, the upright, truck-like, seating position of the Yaris is FAR more comfortable than that of the leg's foward position of the Fit. To me, it's all about getting the flattest angle between my knee's and my hip. In the Fit, my knee's sit much higher than my hip, and I find that puts unwanted pressure on my lower-back area.

That being said, I prefer the interior quality of the Fit more than that of the Yaris. I also think the ride is quieter and smoother (see the thread about the vibration at stop lights) but less fun.

Good luck!
hondajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Might I add that there is also an amazing member on this forum named CTScott who provides awesome technical support for the Yaris.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Might I add that there is also an amazing member on this forum named CTScott who provides awesome technical support for the Yaris.

BING!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Yep. I doubt he has a peer on any other car forum.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Honestly, I didn't enjoy driving the Fit as much. It seemed to lack the peppy willing and wanting to go feeling my Yaris has. Add in cup holders on the dashboard (with me banging my knee on one) and I was absolutely over my Fit test drive. Besides, as someone else stated, I was drawn to the beauty of my 2 door hatch.

My Yari is fun, dependable, and always makes me look forward to our daily commute.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I'm guessing BlueCar decided against the Yaris since he hasn't posted anything further on his decision. For me, it boiled down to either the Yaris or Fit when I bought my car in December of 2010. It's a tough call, and if I had to do it over again who knows which way I'd go. I must say, however, that the Yaris has grown on me and I now particularly like it since it's paid for. :-)
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I have a 2012 Yaris and my wife has a 2009 Honda Fit Sport. Since hers is the sport model, I assume the suspension is specially-tuned in some way. It's very stiff to drive; I don't like it at all. The Fit is extremely awesome in regard to flexibility in carrying cargo and the like.

I know the Fit is a great car, but the driving experience isn't very good (IMO).
matti is offline   Reply With Quote