Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #1
moyerhw23

Drives: 2007 Yaris
2007 Yaris 4 Dr. coming out of long-term storage

Good evening,

I am in the military and we have a service that allows us to store vehicles while we deploy overseas. When I return to collect my car 3 years will have lapsed. I am very concerned about the condition of my vehicle and its ability to be immediately able for a cross-country drive to our next duty station. The storage service promises that they will start the car every week and keep it in a climate-controlled environment.

My questions are:
What will happen to my vehicle if they do not fulfill these promises?
What would be the first course of action after I receive the vehicle?
What can I expect from a vehicle that, worst case scenario, has not been started in 3 years.
What are the first items I should replace after I receive the car?

I am very appreciative of any help I may receive from this thread. Thank you for your time.
moyerhw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
a good idea is to add STA-bil or another fuel stabilizer to the tank prior to storage. also it's a good idea to put jack stands under the loaded suspension to keep it loaded, but lift the tires off the ground. then toss a car cover over it. ready to store. :)
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
SirDigby

maybe bag the seats too. you could even spray the tires with silicone and put tire bags over them to protect them further. maybe change the oil too right before you seal it up too. it should be fine, but i'd change it again after pulling it out. prob. same for coolant. i'd DEFFINATLY change brake fluid after pulling from storage!
just starting it for a few minutes might cause a build up of moisture in the exhaust system causing internal rust damage!
it would be better to: wash gar, run the gas down to less than 1/8 tank treated with sta-bil, jack it up, drain all the fluids out, seal tires/seats, remove battery, cover car with good cover.
return. remove cover. install battery. install new oil/coolant. turn crank by hand for 20 to 30 cranks to move oil through system. remove seat/tire covers. remove jack stands. start engine. drive to Shell, fill tank with top/best fuel. drive to brake flush place. car is awesome now forever.

Last edited by SirDigby; 10-23-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
a good idea is to add STA-bil or another fuel stabilizer to the tank prior to storage. also it's a good idea to put jack stands under the loaded suspension to keep it loaded, but lift the tires off the ground. then toss a car cover over it. ready to store. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
maybe bag the seats too. you could even spray the tires with silicone and put tire bags over them to protect them further. maybe change the oil too right before you seal it up too. it should be fine, but i'd change it again after pulling it out. prob. same for coolant. i'd DEFFINATLY change brake fluid after pulling from storage!
just starting it for a few minutes might cause a build up of moisture in the exhaust system causing internal rust damage!
it would be better to: wash gar, run the gas down to less than 1/8 tank treated with sta-bil, jack it up, drain all the fluids out, seal tires/seats, remove battery, cover car with good cover.
return. remove cover. install battery. install new oil/coolant. turn crank by hand for 20 to 30 cranks to move oil through system. remove seat/tire covers. remove jack stands. start engine. drive to Shell, fill tank with top/best fuel. drive to brake flush place. car is awesome now forever.
Umm...the vehicle will be coming out of storage.

Unless I'm totally baked, the OP currently has a Yaris in storage and is anticipating a return shortly and releasing it back into the wilds.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I think you're baked lol. Sounds to me like it's going in and he's concerned about when it's time to get it out.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I don't believe I'm baked.

I'd just search the web for hits on removing a car from storage. Lots of stuff out there. Most critical is lubricating the pistons, changing fluids and filters, checking for deterioration of hoses, belts, and other rubber components including tires. Definitely do not start the car without lubricating pistons if you suspect periodic startups have not been performed.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
SirDigby

yea. as I read it, there was not any past tense words used which led me to believe it has not been stored yet. and like I said, starting it, but not running it may help lubricate the engine, but it will build up moisture in the exhaust system and cause rust and damage to cat. (location is in Virginia)
also, I stated to crank engine by hand before starting. if you get real scared about lubrication after return (or if it's longer): disable the ignition and fuel system. remove spark plugs and insert about 1-2 CC of DIESAL fuel into each cylinder before turning crank by hand 20-30 times. then crank engine with starter (fuel and spark still disabled) for about 30 to 45 seconds to build good oil pressure. then enable spark and fuel. the diesel fuel will lubricate the cylinder walls even more to prevent scraping.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:09 AM   #8
moyerhw23

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Gentlemen,

Both of your replies were appreciated and also very helpful. I am currently overseas and I will be returning to America next year after my third year. The prep work for the car was hurried and irregular at the time of storage more than two years ago. I hope my car is in one piece when I return! Again, thank you for your help.

Holden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moyerhw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Change the oil if it wasn't changed before storage.

Add air to Tires. Tires may have flat spots and may have to be replaced.

May need a new battery.

Basically you try to start the engine and replace the battery or jump it if it won't starts. Once it's running check the tire pressures and drive it to a gas station to add air. Then have the oil changed.

R let us know what happens and GOOG LUCK!:

PS the gas in the tank might have gone bad. If possible take it to a shop and have then check it. Drain the tank of the old gas and put in fresh. Take the cap off the tank and sniff. If it doesn't smell like fresh gas have the tank drained.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:34 PM   #10
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I don't believe I'm baked.
You weren't baked after all
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #11
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Tires will likely be flat-spotted. They should settle out, but they may start to separate on the long drive. Battery may be low on reserve charge so if you are heading somewhere cold, have it tested. Change oil asap. Fuel will hopefully be good enough to run on. If it feels like you are low on power, get fresh fuel in it.

Probably time for a coolant flush, but do that after the trip. Check the level and freeze protection before trip.
Good luck.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:41 PM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I just got my old '85 Civic Wagovan out for the first time in 4 years this summer. I didn't do anything special other than spray a bit of starter fluid down the carb and it fired right up after about 5 seconds of cranking to prime the carb.

The tires had flat spots but after about 30min of driving they went away. One of my callipers pistons was slightly seized but after getting so hot it burnt the paint off my EBC pads and cooling it freed itself. I later bled the fluid and serviced all the brakes.

I didn't do anything special other that fill it with premium pure gas and add a bit of stabilizer before storing it. You shouldn't have anything to worry about other that making sure the battery is charged on your modern fuel injected car.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #13
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyerhw23 View Post
Good evening,

I am in the military and we have a service that allows us to store vehicles while we deploy overseas. When I return to collect my car 3 years will have lapsed. I am very concerned about the condition of my vehicle and its ability to be immediately able for a cross-country drive to our next duty station. The storage service promises that they will start the car every week and keep it in a climate-controlled environment.

What makes you think this storage service isnt going to perform the service they say they will provide? if they are specializing in vehicle storage for military personnel they will develop a bad reputation if guys and gals are coming home and are immediately having car problems due to this companies neglect.
When you pick up your car check tire pressure then go get an oil change.