Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Food for thought - I recently had to replace my water pump twice within a few month period.

Like you, my shop warranties work nationwide for 2 yrs, so it didn't cost me anything. When questioned, they talked about part houses providing a mix of new and rebuilt stuff based on gov regulation on managing waste. They claimed that they've seen a drop in the quality of parts over the last several years, but claimed that they're still better than AutoZone/Pep Boys/etc. parts. They claimed this would be the case whether going to an independent shop, or Toyota.

Coincidentally, the same thing happened with my alternator. Keep in mind this is an established and very highly rated (Yelp) shop, so I tend to think it's not something they're doing, but who knows.

After redoing the water pump and alternator jobs, my car has been great, but I thought it crazy that I'd have to have both jobs done twice.

Now my starter seems to be sticking a bit, causing a short grinding noise on the first start of the day. I plan on taking my starter to a local place that specializes in rebuilding them and changing it out myself (with massive help from my bro-in-law lol). We'll see if I get better results.

On Wheelwell

Last edited by ern-diz; 12-15-2016 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Type-o's
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:42 AM   #2
Radosity

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Food for thought - I recently had to replace my water pump twice within a few month period.

Like you, my shop warranties work nationwide for 2 yrs, so it didn't cost me anything. When questioned, they talked about part houses providing a mix of new and rebuilt stuff based on gov regulation on managing waste. They claimed that they've seen a drop in the quality of parts over the last several years, but claimed that they're still better than AutoZone/Pep Boys/etc. parts. They claimed this would be the case whether going to an independent shop, or Toyota.

Coincidentally, the same thing happened with my alternator. Keep in mind this is an established and very highly rated (Yelp) shop, so I tend to think it's not something they're doing, but who knows.

After redoing the water pump and alternator jobs, my car has been great, but I thought it crazy that I'd have to have both jobs done twice.

Now my starter seems to be sticking a bit, causing a short grinding noise on the first start of the day. I plan on taking my starter to a local place that specializes in rebuilding them and changing it out myself (with massive help from my bro-in-law lol). We'll see if I get better results.
Yeah, when I talked with him today he said they got the parts directly from the manufacturer as well. Not directly from Toyota, mind, but from the company that manufactures them for Toyota. I strongly doubt faulty parts could be responsible for 2 failed fuel pumps in a 5 month period anyways.

Hopefully your starter gets sorted out without much trouble man. It's not a fun feeling driving your car worried that it could break down again any second.
Radosity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 yaris, fuel pump