Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2020, 11:22 PM   #1
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Okay, quick update - I finally got my 2020 Corolla SE hatchback in Classic Silver Metallic! Woohoo! If you want to do a factory order at your dealership, be prepared to wait about three months. The dealership ordered my car in December, and it arrived this month. But that's okay, since I was buying this car for fun, not because I needed it. Right now I'm just learning how to drive it. Stalled it about a zillion times, but I'm slowly getting better and better at consistently finding the bite point. I'm also working on figuring out when to change gears. I'm glad I had the wild idea to buy a brand new car with a manual, even though I didn't know how to drive a manual. Although I suck at driving it right now, I'm still having a blast learning how to drive stick!
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:33 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Okay, quick update - I finally got my 2020 Corolla SE hatchback in Classic Silver Metallic! Woohoo! If you want to do a factory order at your dealership, be prepared to wait about three months. The dealership ordered my car in December, and it arrived this month. But that's okay, since I was buying this car for fun, not because I needed it. Right now I'm just learning how to drive it. Stalled it about a zillion times, but I'm slowly getting better and better at consistently finding the bite point. I'm also working on figuring out when to change gears. I'm glad I had the wild idea to buy a brand new car with a manual, even though I didn't know how to drive a manual. Although I suck at driving it right now, I'm still having a blast learning how to drive stick!
Quick way to find the grab/bite point of the clutch is to go on a flat, empty parking lot, and then slowly, and I mean extremely slowly start letting go of the clutch with the trans being in 1st. Don't bother with the gas pedal. Once you start feeling the car lunge forward, fully step on the clutch again and shift back into neutral. Do this 2 or 3 times, and you'll know exactly where the grab point is. Don't do it too many times tho, since I'm sure it's putting some stress on the throw out bearing.

Since you're new to M/T, please do not fully rest your hand's weight on the shifter. Also do not keep the clutch pedal depressed when stopped. Shift into reverse and fully let go of the clutch pedal. Also do not rest your foot on the clutch pedal. Doing all this will prevent unnecessary wear and damage on your car.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Also do not keep the clutch pedal depressed when stopped. Shift into reverse and fully let go of the clutch pedal.
I think you mean neutral, not reverse. lol.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
I think you mean neutral, not reverse. lol.
ROTFLMAO!

Good catch. Not sure why I said reverse. Yes, NEUTRAL! hahaha
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
ROTFLMAO!

Good catch. Not sure why I said reverse. Yes, NEUTRAL! hahaha
I just imagine this poor guy pulling up to a red light, throwing it in reverse and dumping the clutch. Made me lol
Old 03-22-2020, 11:22 PM   #6
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Thanks for the suggestions! I've been practicing on the residential streets around my house. The speed limit is 25 mph, so I can go at slow speeds and take my time. There are no hills, and there's rarely anyone behind me. Lots of stop signs, where I can practicing stops and starts. Just to be safe, I taped a hand-made sign on my back window with a warning that I'm learning to drive stick and I might stall (I was afraid that otherwise someone might think I'm on a cell phone and start road raging at me). The bite point seems to be 3/4 of the way up the pedal travel. You can definitely feel it, since the car feels more "solid." Once the bite point is reached, the car will not move forward on its own if you don't give it gas. Apparently some cars will move forward on its own, but not this one. The Corolla will move a couple inches then shut off. Anyway, as a beginner, it's challenging to properly balance the amount of gas, plus the speed to fully release the clutch pedal. But the more time I spend behind the wheel, the fewer times I stall. I'm also getting better at shifting through the gears smoothly. There are a bunch of really helpful YouTube videos about how to drive stick, so I've been watching those over and over. And, of course, I still have my automatic Yaris, so I'm not stressing out about how long it will take me to master a manual.

And don't worry, I'm not resting my hand on the shifter, and I'm not using the clutch as a footrest :). I know that doing both those things are super bad. Also, good thing you mentioned not to keep the clutch depressed when stopped. That's what my mom taught me to do (I had a couple hours of in-car instruction with her in my dad's car, but now I'm on my own with my new Corolla). But turns out she's wrong. What I've been doing now is shifting to neutral and coasting a few feet shortly before I reach the stop sign. Less strain on my legs, too.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote