Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 AM   #37
d2dailly
Roar?

Drives: 07 White LB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to d2dailly
best i ever got with the yaris is 25 MPG ;( hahah
d2dailly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #38
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
oh yeah, there are some hella stupid ass drivers here in Sac. i can have my turn signal on for at least 5 seconds and have started switching lanes, and some of these stupid mofos here speed up and start honking there horn. and the stupid thing is, they were at least 3 car-lengths back...
You can always just let them pass you and then move over. Even if you miss your exit it's not the end of the world. No one ever got a trophy for forcing a merge, even when they had the right of way.

Besides, this is not an example of where using speed got you out of an unsafe situation. Instead you helped to create the unsafe situation and locked into a contest of egos with another driver, jeopardizing the safety of both of you in the process.

I just chuckle when I hear about the mystical need for power to get out of bad spots. 99.999999% of the time the first thing any of us do when we sense trouble is hit the brake pedal, not the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Damn dude, with driving skills like that you gotta have the ladies all over you
My wife of 9 years has intelligence, a wit as sharp as a knife, a sense of humor that keeps me in good spirits, keeps our home impeccably clean, cooks for me and brings me my coffee in the morning... all while having platinum blond hair, big blue eyes, eyelashes so long she has trouble wearing some sunglasses, and a DD chest.

As such I'd say I'm doing just fine in my quest for companionship, and she says she feels safer driving with me than anyone else she's ever ridden with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Ohh, so you can see things before they happen, eh Bailout?
I've never needed to. Outside of Hollywood movies things very rarely happen instantaneously... they just appear that way to some folks because they didn't see the warning signs ahead of time. If you pay attention to everything on and near the road, the weather conditions and what other people are doing, it's hard to be surprised.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:21 PM   #39
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
I've never needed to. Outside of Hollywood movies things very rarely happen instantaneously... they just appear that way to some folks because they didn't see the warning signs ahead of time. If you pay attention to everything on and near the road, the weather conditions and what other people are doing, it's hard to be surprised.
Karma.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #40
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
My wife of 9 years has intelligence, a wit as sharp as a knife, a sense of humor that keeps me in good spirits, keeps our home impeccably clean, cooks for me and brings me my coffee in the morning... all while having platinum blond hair, big blue eyes, eyelashes so long she has trouble wearing some sunglasses, and a DD chest.
sorry, I am not one to bash others wifes as I am also married, and I respect that, but you were so askin for it with that description
Old 04-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #41
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Your paying attention to the road is much more important for safety than anything else....You are probably a better driver than 99.9999% of the drivers out there....keep it up Bailout!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #42
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
I average 37mpg and have gotten as high as 40.2 mpg. I have never been in a wreck my entire life. That means even when I was riding with someone else. I may be one of the oldest members. I never follow the "its not if, but when" crowd on anything.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:28 PM   #43
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Hey bail , does wife have single twin sister I'm a safe driver as well . I have a 20 year safe drivers history (no wrecks) and the insurance rates to prove it . $ 49 a month for full coverage Oh BTW my best mileage so far is 411.2 miles on 9.785 gallons ( shade over 42 mpg ). I think that if I totally race prep my yaris , fresh wax , and draft real hard , I feel that I could squeeze 50 mpg A person in a yaris could theoritcally travel from Williamsbug Ky to the beautiful city of Charleston SC , entering 6 of the 50 United States of America , on one tank of fuel Loving every minute of it
HTM Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #44
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Ever been in an event where you had to speed up to avoid an accident?
Not sure if this is what you meant, but yes, I did avoid an accident once by speeding up.

I was on the highway in lots of traffic, all going about 70--just about everyone was on the way to the same big outdoor show so lots of people were horsing around and not paying attention. All of a sudden we came up on traffic at a dead halt and hit the brakes. Dude behind me did not see what was going on in time...I heard his brakes squeal and as I looked in my mirror it was like everything was in super slo mo...I saw the smoke coming off his tires in two big slow swirls, just like a jet engine exhaust. Anyway... in that instant I HIT THE GAS and swerved left onto the shoulder; my friend turned around and watched as the guy plowed right into the back of the car that HAD been in front of me. The impact broke both his arms, poor bastard...he had them braced straight out on the wheel.

In other words, if I had not been in gear my car would've been squashed flatter'n a pancake...
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:53 AM   #45
littlenaches

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Send a message via Yahoo to littlenaches
So please tell me how I can get 48 MPG. I only seem to get around the mid to upper 30's. 35-37ish. What again is DFCO. Guess I should read the threads. Let me know.
littlenaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:21 AM   #46
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenaches View Post
What again is DFCO. Guess I should read the threads.
Good guess!

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4248

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #47
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Nope. Not once in over 20 years of driving on 4 continents.

Such is the power of defensive and anticipatory driving.
Bet you'd be one helluva' motorcycle rider, Bail. And bikes naturally get 40-50 mpg... just think of the efficiency you could achieve!

~YR
Old 05-10-2007, 02:13 AM   #48
mutatio

Drives: Flint Mica AT Sedan
it seems the people saying that DFCO doesn't work for them are the ones who have noted coasting in neutral and not having the car in gear.
mutatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:29 AM   #49
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Yaris will automatically switch off gas if you're rolling along in gear and have the foot off the accelerator. So, why's Bailout going on about manually switching off the engine while costing? If the Yaris has DCFO, that should be necessary. right?

I'm a delivery driver and spend a lot of time on the road. The biggest hazard on the highway is the trucks. I had two situation where a truck wheel came at me from the side while I was in the fast lane. One time, all I had to do was go down hard on the brake and let the tire roll harmlessly in front of me while making its way into the ditch. The another situation, I had to speed up and let it pass behind me (thankfully, the government is cracking down on these truck driver and I've yet to have a tire come at me for the last several years). In another situation, I was stopped at the lights, under a downhill, on wet roads, and had to peel out into the shoulder to avoid an LH car that was in a 4-wheel lockup while sliding down the hill.

My fuel economy has never gotten better then 37mpg (us), but that has since changed for last 3 fill-ups and I'm now getting over 38mpg. In the past I used to let the car roll-along in neutral at every opportunity, but recently (since I heard about DCFO on this thread), I decided to leave it in gear (assuming engine braking wasn't too drastic) and now I'm getting over 38mpg!!! Which is shocker for me, since the car has done over 50,000km and I'm just now starting to get into the 38mpg range.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:37 AM   #50
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Yaris will automatically switch off gas if you're rolling along in gear and have the foot off the accelerator. So, why's Bailout going on about manually switching off the engine while costing? If the Yaris has DCFO, that should be necessary. right?
Turning off the ignition is even more drastic, with normal DFCO, the fuel will kick back in when the engine speeds gets below 1,000RPM. With the engine off, it will stay off until you gently roll to a stop.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #51
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Turning off the ignition while moving isn't for everyone (see, there's my disclaimer - heh) but you can get much longer/faster coasting distances this way vs. using DFCO - when appropriate - as there is no engine drag.

For example, on my way home I transition down a 4,500ft vertical distance over 14 miles. For the most part the road is steep enough to use DFCO for controlling my speed and I kind of play a game of moving to the right gear to hold at the proper speed as the grades change. However, there are 3 spots (one is 2 miles long) that are either a little uphill or are just not steep enough to maintain the proper speed in DFCO, even in 5th gear, so I cut the ignition and coast (FAS) in those areas rather than use fuel to maintain my forward momentum.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #52
zerofloat

Drives: 07 Liftback 5 speed
Long pulse and glide

Bail you are my hero. I'm using dfco, key off and neutral depending on the deceleration rate needed and time to restart. The scangauge really shows what to do when its active and anytime it's inactive you know the mileage is REAL good. Thanks for sharing
zerofloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #53
Elroy

Drives: 07 Blazin Blue Yaris
Just put in my 2nd tank of gas last night. On the first tank I averaged 34-35 mpg. I was driving kind of fast though. So on the 2nd tank, I decided to keep my speed down to 65-70 o nthe highway and not do any sudden takeoffs or anything. Just driving normally. I got 39 mpg on it. My driving is about 80-90% highway and the rest back roads.
A/C was intermittent and had a lot of stop and go traffic as well.
Elroy is offline   Reply With Quote