Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Liftbacks with 5 speeds extremely difficult to find

I'm finding out these are like finding a needle in a hay stack. I haven't been able to find any in the nearby Chicagoland area and I was in Kansas City this week for employment training. While I was there, I looked at a few dealers on the internet. One showed they had two in stock, but when I called them, they were both gone. I'm also finding out the dealers don't do a very good job of keeping their web site inventory lists updated either. I will be in Dayton OH this weekend and there are a couple of dealers there who said they have some. Now whether or not they'll still have them this weekend.........if they do, I'll finally get my test drive.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
theres one over here in chicago, just saw it, just like mine. base model 5 spd.

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
theres one over here in chicago, just saw it, just like mine. base model 5 spd.
How far is this dealership from Romeoville? That's where I'm at.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Sinaz

Drives: 07 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
I'm finding out these are like finding a needle in a hay stack. I haven't been able to find any in the nearby Chicagoland area and I was in Kansas City this week for employment training. While I was there, I looked at a few dealers on the internet. One showed they had two in stock, but when I called them, they were both gone. I'm also finding out the dealers don't do a very good job of keeping their web site inventory lists updated either. I will be in Dayton OH this weekend and there are a couple of dealers there who said they have some. Now whether or not they'll still have them this weekend.........if they do, I'll finally get my test drive.
I hear you! I stumbled upon my manual yaris. After testing a manual sport sedan and sitting in an automatic liftback, one magically appeared the next day traded from another dealership in the next city.

The good thing is, once you settle on it, ordering a manual to spec from the factory just becomes an exercise in patience...

Fortunately, I found the silver Yaris I purchased to be a suitable blank slate for whatever styling I wanted later on... so I went ahead and began negotiations for it rather than order another color.
Sinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
ordering from factory is a chore in patience. took 10 weeks to get mine. Auto's are an easier sell off the lot I guess.
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Sinaz

Drives: 07 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleyaris View Post
ordering from factory is a chore in patience. took 10 weeks to get mine. Auto's are an easier sell off the lot I guess.
"chore" may have been the better word ;)
Sinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
BlueLiftback

Drives: 2007 Blazing Blue 5-speed L/B
Dealers (I work for one), will always preference a manual to automatic for one simple reason: ANYONE can drive an automatic. Someone that cannot drive a stick won't settle for one, but it happens the other way around ALL the time.

I love my manual, but would have been just as happy with the automatic I think (in hindsight).

Don't waste time ordering one. All that means is the dealer doesn't want to trade with another store (they ARE out there) for a puny Yaris deal (and believe me, they are puny haha).

I have 5 down here in AZ if you want one
BlueLiftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
rbowman

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLiftback View Post

Don't waste time ordering one. All that means is the dealer doesn't want to trade with another store (they ARE out there) for a puny Yaris deal (and believe me, they are puny haha).
I guess I lucked out. There was a black manual sitting on the Portland dock that was delivered in three days.
rbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
tiksman

Drives: 07 Red Hatch
Yes the Higher gas prices drives demand for our cars up. When gas was 2.20 a gal my dealer had like 10 hatches. Now at 3.00 a gal there is only 1 on the lot and it just got there.
tiksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
driver centric
I know right?

Drives: 07 Bayou LB
There were a few on the lots around here when I bought mine, but none with the power package. I got lucky that one dealer had listed mine on their web inventory while it was still in transit so I called them and put a deposit on it before it got there. I guess I got lucky :)

07 Bayou Blue Liftback 5-spd manual
driver centric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
we have 3 sticks in stock now...
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #12
grampi

Went to Voss Toyota in Beavercreek OH this AM and they had 3 LB 5 speeds. The test drive was impressive. It was at least as comfortable as my '99 Corolla, and it has more front leg room than the '03 and newer Corollas. The ride was surprisingly smooth, yet the handling felt like an Indy car compared to my Corolla. I think I'm going to want one with the power package as otherwise these things are really bare-bones option wise. All 3 of these were pure base models and really don't have much of anything in the way of options. I still am not crazy about the center mount speedo, but it's large enough and easy enough to read, I think I'd get used to it. This thing really felt nice on the highway at 70-75 MPH, firm, planted, almost like it was on rails. It doesn't feel quite as peppy as my Corolla, but it wasn't too bad. I kind of expected less acceleration as it does have a less powerful engine. It will cruise along nicely at 70-80 MPH, which makes up about 90-95% of my driving. All in all, this is probably the right car for me. Excellent Toyota reliability, outstanding fuel economy, all wrapped up in a fun, sexy, inexpensive package. What more could a person want?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #13
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
i didn't realize how "rare" the 5 speed manual LB was. there were three at the dealership when i went a month ago here in dallas, tx. one was white, the other was bayou blue, and the absolutely red one is the one i drove off in.

my very first car was a stick and i love it. i've had two new cars since then, both automatic. it's great to have come full circle. i heart my 5 speed.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #14
grampi

If LB 5 speeds are like a needle in the hay stack, then LB 5 speeds with the power package must be like trying to find a square shaped snow flake!
Old 05-20-2007, 12:52 AM   #15
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Here in Toronto, Dealships can't keep any in stock.
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:55 AM   #16
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
How far is this dealership from Romeoville? That's where I'm at.
dan wolf toyota of naperville had one last week. i think continental toyota in countryside has one and northside toyota has one also, all in metorite metaillic

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote