![]() |
|
|
|
#163 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
The inside diameter of stock 2012 header runners is 28mm and the Weapon R's are 36mm...
|
|
|
|
|
|
#164 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2012 Yaris SE Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 179
|
So perhaps the Weapon R is the closest port-matched of the two considering the amount of soot on the OEM. Anyone have an I.D. of an exhaust port?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#165 |
|
0-60 in slow
Drives: light blue liftback Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: so cal
Posts: 926
|
I measured 35mm for the port and 40mm for the gasket.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#166 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2012 Yaris SE Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 179
|
Thanks. I have to be honest- the more I gather reading about 'bolt-on' solutions, I'd rather buy one of yours, assuming you find appreciable gains. I don't doubt that you will.
I intend to run a single hi-flow with a Burns muffler anyway, so might as well do it right. |
|
|
|
|
|
#167 |
|
0-60 in slow
Drives: light blue liftback Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: so cal
Posts: 926
|
I was once told by a GM engineer that the absolute best solution and absolute worse solution for exhaust is generally only a few % different. I've taken this advice to heart knowing the expected gains and losses can only be so much.
I do expect gains but the dyno and racing will be the true test if it actually works, I have simulation numbers, but those aren't always accurate to the real world. If you want an easy/cheap solution ots parts work, but have the same design constraints production parts have, so you won't get the "best" solution. I can tell you this I noticed a significant loss of low-mid-range torque with the DC header while getting a size-able gain in topend torque. If you look at my dynosheet you can see that the DC produces a sizeable dip between 2700-3800 rpm, it feels really gutless out of slower corners but nice up top. |
|
|
|
|
|
#168 |
![]() ![]() Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
|
I have to defend the DC header, as I think it's been the single best bolt-on since I started messing with this car.
First mod was a K&N typhoon intake, other than more engine noise, I didn't feel much change. Second mod was the DC header. I noticed no mid-range torque loss and a noticeable change to the way the top end acted. The engine breathed better in the top end, instead of running out of steam before redline like before. The power across the board seems more linear. Despite the cost I would recommend the header. Last engine mod I've done is a resonator-back obx exhaust. I didn't really notice any seat of the pants change from this. Now with these mods the car is easier to drive. It's surprising torquey in 5th gear, I don't have to downshift to 4th gear any more when going up hills on the highway, even with passengers. It still doesn't have the top end that my Honda cars had, which it probably never will. It pulls really well in the 3000-5500 range though for a 1.5L. Overall I'm happy with the mods, I/H/E are worth it in my opinion. |
|
|
|
|
|
#169 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ULTIMATEDrives: 07 Yaris Turbo Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
|
^ Good luck, and congrats on vacation time!
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific. |
|
|
|
|
|
#170 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
Do show us pics of your project, and jack up the front of the car. It makes getting to the headpipe bolts sooo much easier from the bottom.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#171 |
|
Takes corners too fast!
Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 830
|
^best answer ever.
__________________
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood |
|
|
|
|
|
#172 |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#173 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: '08G2T Prius Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 163
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#174 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 261
|
I know this header is ceramic so there's no need to wrap it right?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#175 |
|
0-60 in slow
Drives: light blue liftback Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: so cal
Posts: 926
|
DO NOT WRAP A HEADER!!! wrap is bad avoid it, it holds moisture and increases corrosion. Its coated leave it as is.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#176 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 261
|
Thank You for the advice
|
|
|
|
|
|
#177 |
|
Super Moderator
|
Possible? Sure.
PITA? Definitely.
__________________
--[ FORUM RULES ]--[ SEARCHING TIPS ]--[ EYELIDS PICS ]--[ RBK SPOILER ]--[ BEST/WORST INVESTMENTS ]--
|
|
|
|
|
|
#178 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 06 5dr LE (deceased), 13 Soul Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,827
|
The flange bolts from header to downpipe are only accessible from below. I don't know about you, but personally I cannot fit under the car if not raised.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#179 | |
|
play every day
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
|
Quote:
If you can, post some pics of your installation. Greg |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#180 |
![]() Drives: 2011 Yaris 3dr Join Date: May 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 39
|
Is there a reason you don't put the heat shield back on? You'd think you'd want to, to keep your engine bay cool and exhaust header hot.
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|