Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #1981
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
heh, all about sq. The little sub is amazing, but your system really puts in perspective having a fully functional well working group of high end speakers with a head unit with all the toys to make them shine.

In all the years of being around people that call themselves audiophiles I've never heard a system that literally lets you "see," "feel," and hear exactly where a sound comes from as well and exact as your system does.

It was like going to see a band in a small coffee shop, but for every type of music. I don't know how many artists even thought of systems that sound like this, but listening to it you know the lead singer is in one place, the background singers are in another and the instruments are coming at you from wherever they are.

Every recording was almost intimate, and the music separated itself depending on where it was and what it was doing. Hearing is believing.

Not to mention the sound literally came from the dash, yet the main speakers were in the kick panels and only two little tweeters were up top.

As weird as it is to say, the quality being amazing was almost secondary. I'm used to that. Derick's system sounds just as good as a 5.1 home system. I've had the pleasure of really being able to listen to many, from cheap ones to really high end expensive ones, and for sound quality Derick's car is just as good as any of them.

The only thing that I would do differently is have the sound be more surround. Derick's system is set up to be all up front, literally like the musicians are in mini playing on the dash. And of course with great recordings it sounds so much better than going to see live music.

I love that this system proves you don't need insane volume to have a top notch system. Derick really has built a system that should inspire everyone.

Oh, and then the quiet. Now if you look through the thread on my car you'll see I've pretty much removed everything. Rear seats, seatbelts, the entire cargo area, spare tire, and a few of the plastic side moldings are all gone. I get to here the gas splashing around, every little thing that hits the bottom of the car, and every single little noise the car itself makes. It also takes very little audio volume to fill my car.

Derick's car is the exact opposite. Amazingly quiet. From the windshield wipers, the blower motor for the air, and then almost zero road noise. We took a short drive on the highways and his car is easily lexus quality quiet. And he still gets 43 mpg.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #1982
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Welcome to the world of sound quality! :)

I should show this to Scott...
Old 05-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #1983
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
heh, all about sq.

Every recording was almost intimate, and the music separated itself depending on where it was and what it was doing. Hearing is believing.

I love that this system proves you don't need insane volume to have a top notch system. Derick really has built a system that should inspire everyone.

Amazingly quiet. From the windshield wipers, the blower motor for the air, and then almost zero road noise. We took a short drive on the highways and his car is easily lexus quality quiet. And he still gets 43 mpg.
Like sqcomp says ... Welcome! to the SQ world!

Yes! we got together with why? today at lunch time, great guy, loves his Yaris, good friend!
and actually why? is a BIG GUY! I even asked him to go on the passengers side and he didn't bother the i6sw enclosure, "quiet comfortable" he said!

Thanks why? !

I appreciate your kind words and as far of inspiration...

When ever you need to get you going (wiring, installing, tips and tricks) just let me know and we'll work on it! you know at least once a week I'm in the area. Let's do a Yaris meet! I know CTScott asked me once to get together in a meet with other Yaris enthusiasts!

Thanks again

D.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #1984
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Welcome to the world of sound quality! :)

I should show this to Scott...
I think you should, I think why? wouldn't mind.

D.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #1985
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Done. This testimonial is on a forum specifically for such topics.

Derick...we really need to get you into an L3v2 or an L4v2 to replace that ML-70...
Old 05-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #1986
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
heh, that pic is awesome.

I actually signed up to the hat forums too. Figured that was the best place to see if I could get one used. Although there aren't any dealers anywhere near me, probably aren't any in new england either, heh maybe I should look for someone to build the perfect sub box for it too.

Who knows, my first problem is money. I have something to aspire to now.

although running 400 watts through that sub and you'd never know it. Totally crazy.

Last edited by why?; 05-05-2012 at 10:43 PM.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #1987
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
heh, that pic is awesome.

I actually signed up to the hat forums too. Figured that was the best place to see if I could get one used. Although there aren't any dealers anywhere near me, probably aren't any in new england either, heh maybe I should look for someone to build the perfect sub box for it too.

Who knows, my first problem is money. I have something to aspire to now.

although running 400 watts through that sub and you'd never know it. Totally crazy.

I got my L6s, and L1v2 at DIYMA (NIB) and at a good price. Used come very often and at a really good price!

D.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #1988
derickveliz2

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
OK, I did it! (first attempt)
I started with my EQ "Flat" and work my way around every tone, some where to the right others to the left and others right on center. My EQ graph end up like crazi!!! I'll get pictures tomorrow (well later today).
D.
This is what Why? got to hear...

New X-Over points:

Left side EQ:

Right side EQ:

EQ combined Left & Right:

D.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #1989
derickveliz2

Talking

This morning I went to see the ophthalmologist or what ever they call him, after some testing with machines, sealed acoustically rooms, funny noises, rising my hand... I was told that every thing looks fine, I'm in the "normal" side of the graphic, I do within the normal limits I have a small deep around 4kHz.

I guess I can go back tuning now, even though when I play a 16kHz tone I can barely hear it, 20kHz don't ask. Jeje

D.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #1990
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
This morning I went to see the ophthalmologist or what ever they call him, after some testing with machines, sealed acoustically rooms, funny noises, rising my hand... I was told that every thing looks fine, I'm in the "normal" side of the graphic, I do within the normal limits I have a small deep around 4kHz.

I guess I can go back tuning now, even though when I play a 16kHz tone I can barely hear it, 20kHz don't ask. Jeje

D.
Lots of midbass drivers have some type of parasitic resonance around 4-5 khz, so you may consider yourself lucky )) another way to use your unique 4 khz feature is to make it a midrange / tweeter crossover point - you will get nice and smooth blending ))
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #1991
patm

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
A hearing test provides an evaluation of the sensitivity of a person's sense of hearing and is most often performed by an audiologist
patm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #1992
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

^ I know that one. I've had two since I came back from Iraq.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #1993
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
Lots of midbass drivers have some type of parasitic resonance around 4-5 khz, so you may consider yourself lucky )) another way to use your unique 4 khz feature is to make it a midrange / tweeter crossover point - you will get nice and smooth blending ))
Tol, thanks for positive response, I'm very lucky Jeje.

D.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #1994
derickveliz2

Quote:
"another way to use your unique 4 khz feature is to make it a midrange / tweeter crossover point - you will get nice and smooth blending ))" Tol, thanks for positive response, I'm very lucky Jeje.

D.
But I'm not going to x-over in the 4kHz area just because of me, that would take away my "Point Source" feature and I rather keep the width of my stage, if I x-over my tweeters at 4kHz (HPF) my stage looses width because my tweeters are closer to each other compare to the Mids.

D.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #1995
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
A hearing test provides an evaluation of the sensitivity of a person's sense of hearing and is most often performed by an audiologist
Hey!!!
that's what it says in the report! "Examining Audiologist"

D.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #1996
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Here's something to wake some of us up...

Notice these caps? It behooves one to run these inline with a set of tweeters if you value your investment. This measure of caps will essentially create a 6 dB slope at 1500 Hertz to protect the tweeters from turn on/off pops and other "feedback" that can damage tweeters. I'll have this cap combination soldered with the quick disconnect couplers I have hanging around for serviceability, then "wrapped" in black heat shrink. This will then be put inline just after the outputs from the amplifier.

Last edited by sqcomp; 05-11-2012 at 07:10 PM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #1997
TOLMACH

^SQ, I am glad to see that you are finally moving in the right @pure passive@ direction )))))

Pls also keep in mind this will also shift your phase another 90 degrees and will increase overall filter order (you now have el crossover engaged in your HU plus this cap )
Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #1998
TOLMACH

Another thought - you can also use lower value for your capacitors - like for instance around 14-15 (couple in parrallel for a total) which is roughly 2800 hz in 4 ohms @6db/oct - as a result- you get better protection (which is still too low to mess with your electronic x-over) and would save you some bucks