Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #199
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
WHIPPED

just kidding, i know the feeling... I'd be in my third year of parole if I killed her on our wedding night-- thats 23 years to the uninitiated.

Please stay in touch and let us all know if there is a way to exert some influence on your wife.
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #200
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Aww.. I was really hoping you'd get it!

In the end, though, you did the right thing, even though I imagine it must sting a little.

We hope you stick around the forum anyway!
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #201
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris

Okay, had to do it.

You did the right thing, Tom. Along with not being able to justify it, I'm glad you took your wife's feelings into consideration.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #202
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiDan View Post

I have never bought a car without the dealer going into holdback on it...

... The dealer does have more room on your cobalt because in effect if he is selling you the new yaris AT invoice (and ask to see the invoice of course) he still has approx. $275.00 which was the dealer holdback on my 09 auto sedan (with no power just conv. pkg,all weather and mats).

What is "dealer holdback" and also what EXACTLY is invoice and how much negotiating room is there around that?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #203
Lambpasty
Internet Superhero

Drives: '07 HB Black Sand Pearl
Hey, there's always next year or the year after that too. I'm sure the Yarii won't be going anywhere ;)
Lambpasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #204
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
What about YOUR feelings? Marriage is about mutual respect...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #205
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambpasty View Post
Hey, there's always next year or the year after that too. I'm sure the Yarii won't be going anywhere ;)
but, unlike with a toyota or honda, the cobalt will depreciate at a faster rate than the amount owed will lower via payments. so, he will never be in a great position. best to just drive that cobalt til its last breath............................................ .....so, yeah, about a year or two
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #206
NaturalTopaz

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3-door liftback
If you feel the need to wait, do so. The 2010 Yaris will have more standard features available and by 2011, VSC and Trac will be standard (by law) as well. Toyota is planning on coming out with a Hybrid version of the Yaris sometime around 2012 or so to offer a lower price point on a hybrid vehicle (instead of the low 20's for the current Prius, think mid-teens).
You have some options for trading up now, but more later as well. It will be up to you when you decide to go "green" and get a more fuel efficient econo-box car.

NT
NaturalTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #207
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
What about YOUR feelings? Marriage is about mutual respect...
That's an urban myth.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #208
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Guys and Gals:

IF I could justify getting the Cobalt for any solid reasons, I would just go ahead and trade, and I would let my wife do her venting and get over it. You wouldn't believe how many times I have done that over the years.

I just bought the Cobalt ten months ago. There is absolutley nothing wrong with it. It gets pretty decent gas mileage, too. I got 28.4 MPG on the last tank when I filled up while ago. That was just on my normal driving.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Yaris would hold its value better and would need fewer repairs down the road, if any at all. It sure sounds to me like I could count on 40 MPG on a typical tank of gas vs. my current 28 MPG. That would offset about $30 per month of the higher car payment, meaning I would be spending about $56 more per month on the combined expenditure for gas and car payment than I am now.

Favoring the Cobalt is its size compared to the Yaris (compact vs. subcompact) and its acceleration. Of course, keeping it would mean making 53 more payments of $228 vs. making 60 payments of $314 (taking the zero percent interest option rather than the $1000 cash).

If I felt strongly enough about this, I would just do it, like I have so many times before. My wife has managed to get over it every time so far.

EVERYONE among my family and friends is telling me that I would be an idiot to trade. I just wish I could make this decision without all the pressure. It would be nice to be able to just think it through and do what I think would make me happy in the long run, without having to worry about who is going to get upset about it.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #209
NaturalTopaz

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3-door liftback
Then, by all means, wait. Your options will get better, devote extra payments to your cobalt and pay it down (every extra $ helps in the monthly payment). Toyota has some plans in place for its little tyke and you'll have wider options available in just a couple of years. The Yaris will be around for a while.
NaturalTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #210
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
What is "dealer holdback" and also what EXACTLY is invoice and how much negotiating room is there around that?

Thanks

Mater:

Hold back is what the dealers make when they sell a car at invoice price. I believe it is normally three percent of the invoice price. Invoice price is what dealers pay the factory for the car, but they get three percent back.

MSRP is "Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price," and that is what you see on the window sticker. "Sticker price," in other words. The difference between sticker price and invoice price is profit for the dealer.

A good way to shop for cars is to make the dealer show you the invoice and tell him what you are willing to pay in relation to invoice price. The dealers like for us to use MSRP as the baseline, but savvy car buyers work off of invoice price.

Tomster
Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #211
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
Mater:

Hold back is what the dealers make when they sell a car at invoice price. I believe it is normally three percent of the invoice price. Invoice price is what dealers pay the factory for the car, but they get three percent back.

MSRP is "Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price," and that is what you see on the window sticker. "Sticker price," in other words. The difference between sticker price and invoice price is profit for the dealer.

A good way to shop for cars is to make the dealer show you the invoice and tell him what you are willing to pay in relation to invoice price. The dealers like for us to use MSRP as the baseline, but savvy car buyers work off of invoice price.

Tomster
Awesome. Thanks, that helps a lot!

Don't laugh but all this talk about trading in had me doing a lot of thinking lately I'm in no hurry, though, but it's a never a bad idea to be ready. You just never know when a good opportunity might present itself!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #212
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Awesome. Thanks, that helps a lot!

Don't laugh but all this talk about trading in had me doing a lot of thinking lately I'm in no hurry, though, but it's a never a bad idea to be ready. You just never know when a good opportunity might present itself!
Since cars are equipped differently, it is hard to know what kind of deals people are getting, unless they get a car equipped just like the one you want to buy. Someone can tell you what he paid for his car, but if he had fewer options than you want, his price is not directly comparable with yours. The same would be true if he were getting more options.

The beauty of working with invoice price is that you can compare deals on cars that do not necessarily have the same options. Find out what people are paying in relation to invoice for the type of car you want, and then start calling dealers asking them how much in relation to invoice they are willing to sell your type of car for. Obviously, invoice is higher on a car with more options and is less on cars with fewer options, but for comparing deals, finding out how much over or under invoice the dealer is willing to sell for will give you a good idea of how good the deal is.

Tom
Old 04-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #213
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
IM

FEELING

THIS

ISNT

OVER
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #214
tomato
Super Moderator

LOL Roxy!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #215
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

You might be right, Roxy.

I have always before gone ahead and made the deal when I have gotten this torn up over a car.

Tom
Old 04-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #216
cdavidhess

Drives: 2008 White Yaris Sedan 5 speed
I repeat my earlier comment:

I've bought 22 new cars in the last 32 years. I know what new car fever is like. I also like to play with car salesmen. Of course, I'm a bachelor.

Of course, if you weren't married, you would not have your son. So you would not have gone car shopping with him. So you wouldn't have got infected with the Yaris bug!