Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #235
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I consider the number of uninsured to be secondary to the primary issue which is cost. Even if we had 100% coverage in the private sector that still doesn't change the fact that getting sick or injured shouldn't result in bankruptcy or that insurance companies shouldn't be able to deny a claim or drop your coverage in favor of a profit. It's morally and ethically wrong is so many ways.

I find it so hypocritical that the conservatives and republicans who would otherwise be spouting about ethics, morality, family values and Christian beliefs are the ones trying to bring down this policy. A policy that would have a far greater impact on the health and wealth of families in this country than any scrap of a trickle down tax cut for the wealthy.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #236
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Altitude, the White House is going to repackage their message to echo the sentiment you just said. Expect a lot of talk about the "moral imperative" of health care reform in the coming weeks.

Also, if you need a laugh, you have to see this clip. Its brilliant.
http://blog.chinocharles.com/2009/08...he-smack-down/
Old 08-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #237
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Awesome.

Also, it seems people need a refresher course on history...

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #238
ChinoCharles
Banned

The term "refresher" implies some previous understanding...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #239
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

True.

(Sorry to re-invoke Godwin's Law.) It seems those who are quick to equate Obama to Hitler conveniently forget that some of the first prisoners of concentration camps were political opponents. Namely members of the KPD or the SPD, Germany's Communist and Social Democratic parties.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #240
mo_feezy

Drives: 08 Yaris S Sedan AT Black
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKS0hW_-kvA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRr5xA-K80
Old 08-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #241
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

For some reason the sound on either is broke.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #242
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I don't support the Hitler sentiments toward Obama but does anyone notice the difference in the acceptance of such attacks made of Bush but now with Obama it is totally unacceptable.

Why is there always a double standard between parties?

It's the same double standard that allowed liberals to protest the wars for 8 years (many of them violent) while peaceful conservative protests being conducted now are considered dangerous.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 08-20-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #243
mo_feezy

Drives: 08 Yaris S Sedan AT Black
Quote:
allowed liberals to protest the wars for 8 years
are you serious? they made protesters go to "free speech zones" and people were arrested for anti-Bush t-shirts.

now we have people with assault rifles and signs designed to bastardize famous quotes in an obvious threat of violence towards the president, AT presidential events, and they aren't even arrested.

Originally Posted by mo_feezy View Post
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKS0hW_-kvA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRr5xA-K80
For some reason the sound on either is broke.
it seems the first one has been removed. It was an Israeli man talking about how great the health care system is in Israel, and a protester shouts "heil hitler" to him and he shouts at her for yelling that at a jew. The second video is the woman who shouted it being interviewed. Claiming she believes in "biblical values" (apparently like yelling "heil hitler" at jews). Not sure why the sound wasn't working. it works for me. You should be able to find these clips from other sources, there was lots of buzz around this today.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #244
ChinoCharles
Banned

No, see, there is no double standard. I don't care what American president it refers to. Its equally stupid either way.

Please don't post that garbage on these forums. I removed it for obvious reasons.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:25 AM   #245
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
I saw that 17 year old class president of my high school beaten bloody by Nixon's thugs for protesting an earlier war many years ago. At the time I was quite shocked. Peaceful conservtives perhaps like the NRA folks pulling out their pistols and shaking them at people. Kal-El you are not only adamant, but quite self deluded.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #246
elmo
WFO

Drives: 2008 hb
i am a member of the NRA and i really find it hard to believe and NRA member would point a gun at someone and NOT actually shoot them. (give me a source) the NRA members i know kinda like to keep a low profile but i don't think it would be wise to fuck with them
Old 08-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #247
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

I have real some good friends who are members and hunt with a guy whose a member myself, but there is a definite lunatic fringe in the organization, and a fair number of hot headed bully boys as well. You know as well as I do that a gun need not be pointed at someone to be used as an instrument of intimidation.

Last edited by Bob Dog; 08-20-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #248
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Frightening.....
Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #249
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
I have real some good friends who are members and hunt with a guy whose a member myself, but there is a definite lunatic fringe in the organization, and a fair number of hot headed bully boys as well. You know as well as I do that a gun need not be pointed at someone to be used as an instrument of intimidation.
Exactly.

BTW, I'm not an ARA member, nor do I currently own any guns although I have in the past.

However, I sincerly believe that if the police are the only ones to have guns, we are all in serious trouble!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #250
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

An unarmed populace with an armed govenment is an incipient police state, but a populace that out guns the powers of authority is incipient anarchy. I personally am not fond of guns. We hunt to control an over abundance garden eatting, accident causing deer, and secondarily to fill our freezers with fine, organic meat. I find gun sport, when separate from hunting to be loud, rude and annoying in proximity to any populated area. A gun is a tool like a chainsaw, it will do a certain job better than any other tool but it is a dangerous tool, and only fools play with them like they are toys. As to the NRA, they are basically a tool of the weapons industry and I want nothing to do with them.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #251
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
<huge snip>
As to the NRA, they are basically a tool of the weapons industry and I want nothing to do with them.
+1
I enjoy target shooting (little paper tagets, 25 or 50 yard range, .22 LR) and the only way, apparently, to shoot competitively in this country (US) is to belong to the NRA. So I don't shoot competitively. Having grown up in England, my view of firearms ownership and "rights" is a little different from theirs.
I also want nothing to do with them.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #252
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
+2

In my (much) younger days, I was 2 points away from going to a national shoot, and that was BEFORE I got the glasses I needed. I have never seen a need to own or fire a gun since then, and most of my contemporaries have seen a need either; maybe it's a Canadian thing...

I am totally puzzled by the American attitude towards firearms, and I will likely never understand.
Closed Thread