Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #19
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
... also, you probably are someone who don't pay too much attention do the speed you are going at. And you probably is someone who forgets to turn on the headlights at night??
and you're probably someone who jumps to conclusions a lot, probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
probably.

it is not rocket science.

Toyota did all they could putting a gas gauge in that
blinks when YOU NEED TO GET MORE

no one can help you after that, except take your keys away
ahem... *cough* *cough* easy, there, guys.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #20
drew999

Drives: 2008 yaris
i'm not blaming toyota or making excuses. I'm having a go at myself. i'm clearly a moron
drew999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #21
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
^ So you were wondering if you're the only one?
Old 05-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #22
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

When the last bar first starts blinking on mine, it takes 10 gallons to fill it. If it's an 11.1 gallon tank, that's 1.1 at first blink.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #23
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Lmao at title
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #24
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Whereas I commend you for wanting to keep your eyes on the road and the vehicles around you, I am sure there are plenty of opportunities in Los Angeles to check your gas level with all the red lights and stop signs. Make it a habit to scan your gauges when you're sitting and make a mental note that it goes from two bars to one flashing bar in one step, so once you see that flashing it's time to get gas!

I for one tend to drive the tank near fumes but since I track my consumption and range on a regular basis I have a pretty accurate idea of how far I can push a tank of gas. It's both an art and a science...

Cheers! M2
Old 05-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #25
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
When the last bar first starts blinking on mine, it takes 10 gallons to fill it. If it's an 11.1 gallon tank, that's 1.1 at first blink.
My Yaris is the same way. I keep records of all my fill-ups and know that my mileage is usually 38-40MPG, so I monitor the trip odometer as well as the fuel guage. Knowing that it takes 10 gallons to fill up when I hit the last bar, I look at the odo and see where I'm at. That let's me know how much further I can go before I run out.

For example, on my last tank the last bar started flashing at 392 miles, so I knew I was getting around 39 MPG that tank and could confortably drive another 20 miles without fear of running out of gas. Generally speaking, I don't fill up until the last bar starts flashing.....I see no reason to fill up earlier than that. One perk of driving a Yaris is not having to fill up so frequently, so why do it voluntarily?

As for the OP, I have no real criticism for running out of gas, but would suggest (as others already have) that you pick a point to fill up at.....whether it's the second to last bar or a certain mileage and stick with it.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #26
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
As for the OP, I have no real criticism for running out of gas, but would suggest (as others already have) that you pick a point to fill up at.....whether it's the second to last bar or a certain mileage and stick with it.

yup and if you mod don't forget that may impact your results.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #27
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I fill up when the tank hits half full. Never ran out of gas in over 30 years. That means buying gas every two weeks.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #28
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
I think I kinda get you now.. do you forget to fill up because you don't have to do it as often as you did with your other cars?
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #29
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
Aothachos,

So there is two blinking modes and there is not a mode where the gauge is blank before running out? Cause I have reached the normal blinky and I was always under the impression you have 1.5 gallons left. si I figured I could go about 50-60 miles cause I get about 38 mpg, but after about 15 to 20 miles it starts blinking fast, and I had filled up shortly after that cause I wasn't sure if something more woudl happen after the rapid blinky before you were out... Cause even then I still was only able to put 10.2 gallons in, so I still believe I could have gone more than the length of the original normal blinky.... but what you say supports the fast blink last longer.... hahah Did I confuse anyone yet.. Im just looking for confirmation. Ron
Old 05-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #30
mryaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I fill up when the tank hits half full.
On your next tank, fill up when the tank hits half empty and see if it helps. ;)
Old 05-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #31
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew999 View Post
has this happened to anyone else?
To me no. Not in 37 years of driving. I did data a girl who ran out of gas a few times. She also never changed the oil. After 80,000 miles the car stopped working. She drove until the steel belts came through the rubber and had a blow out before she bought new tires. The sad part was that she was never at fault. There was always someone or something else to blame. It has been 25 years since I've seen her. I hope that she grew up and now takes personal responsibility for things in her life.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #32
bronsin

Half empty?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #33
mryaris

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Half empty?
You know the old saying....is the glass half full or half empty? If you say half full then you're an optimist, half empty means your a pessimist. Me? I see the tank (or glass, if you will) as varying levels of emptiness....it's only full at the beginning, any other time and it's just more empty than it was. So if you fill your tank when it's half full then you also fill it up when it's half empty.....that was the joke. <insert rim shot here>
Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #34
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
and you're probably someone who jumps to conclusions a lot, probably
yeppers :P

i don't know what's getting on me lately, but oh well!!

to OP: i think taking a few minutes to pass by a gas station and be late than TRYING not to be late and run out of gas. Your opinion on the needle gas gauche is ok, your choice, but i mean.. will the needle help you look at your gauge more?
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #35
bronsin

OK...I just never contemplated the expression "half empty" before. It doesnt make sense!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #36
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew999 View Post
am i just a moron or what. I have ran out of gas three times and have been seriously low countless other times because i don't notice the gas meter....
The gas gauge is there, if you dont want to look at it to the point that you are continually running out of gas maybe automobile driving should be replaced with public transit in this case
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote