Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #19
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Hmm... aside from the low MPG issue most reviews of the 2008-2010 models give the Eclipse a reliability rating of just 4/10, and only 2 stars of 5 for overall mechanical quality and comfort.

Since you've already bought it I hope it works out for you.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #20
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
So many cars, so little money
amen to that. I've been looking at auto trader lately, and they have a gorgeous first gen MR2 and a bunch of old school Supra's. I wish I could afford them.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #21
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
amen to that. I've been looking at auto trader lately, and they have a gorgeous first gen MR2 and a bunch of old school Supra's. I wish I could afford them.
The bank has plenty of money ,i'm sure they'd love to lend you some so you could have that MR2 or that Supra..
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #22
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The bank has plenty of money ,i'm sure they'd love to lend you some so you could have that MR2 or that Supra..
And I'm sure they'd be more than happy to provide you with a fantastic interest rate that will get them 3x the amount you paid for the car
Old 05-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #23
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Living on borrowed money is the reason the global economy is in such trouble.

There is a time and place for borrowing, but if you have to borrow for something then perhaps you shouldn't be buying that item, at least not right now.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #24
shinlee

Drives: 07 liftback
Not a fan of that car, but I totally agree with getting a car that fits YOUR style. So I say Congrats to you!

I'll be getting me a new 2011 mustang gt hopefully by winter time.... now THAT'S fast, hehe. 412hp, 390 ft/lbs tq, 0-60 4.3seconds, 1/4mile in 12.7seconds
Old 05-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #25
shinlee

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Living on borrowed money is the reason the global economy is in such trouble.

There is a time and place for borrowing, but if you have to borrow for something then perhaps you shouldn't be buying that item, at least not right now.
ugh, don't preach to people about what they want to do with their credit and their oweing others cash....

and jeez, just because it might not get rave reviews doesn't mean the car sucks, so don't knock his choice either... obviously he wanted a faster car, and he said screw the mileage.... you know, I bet he doesn't turn his car off at stop lights either, and runs the a/c ALL the time too
Old 05-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #26
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
As with most Chrysler products, it will look like shit in a couple of years and will be on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it.
Isn't it a mitsubishi? They're usually good.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #27
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlee View Post
Not a fan of that car, but I totally agree with getting a car that fits YOUR style. So I say Congrats to you!

I'll be getting me a new 2011 mustang gt hopefully by winter time.... now THAT'S fast, hehe. 412hp, 390 ft/lbs tq, 0-60 4.3seconds, 1/4mile in 12.7seconds
That is fast...pretty much GT500 performance. And the Mustang keeps getting better looking, imo.

And to OP. If it was mine I would just drive it and enjoy it! Would not mod it because package is already good enough, and cost to drive and maintain will be higher than what you're used to with the Yaris.

Made that mistake w/ my '05 GTO...spent thousands in mods and really didn't like it any better than I did when it was showroom stock, but that's just me.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #28
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Not a fan of the eclispe, but its absurd to knock someone for switching to a different vehicle. Is someone really cooler or your friend just because you drive the same car?? Silly.
On the other hand, I'm a little skeptical of some of these 0-60 times quoted here. I don;t see a regular Mustang GT doing Ferrari 0-60 times (4.3 sec??) Still, HP is fun.

As someone who just switched from Yaris to MX5, i can relate. Still, I hope YW people are here for the love of cars, not just A car.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #29
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Just checked: M/T clocks the 2010 GT at 4.9 sec on the 0-60. Fast as hell, but a world away from 4.3 sec.

For the Eclipse: "With automatic transmission, 4-cylinder models are acceptable around town, but lack highway passing punch. A test hatchback did 9.2 sec 0-60 mph. ... A test GT hatchback automatic did 6.5 sec 0-60. Convertibles are slightly slower due to some 200-lb additional weight."
Again, fast, but the 4-cyl is no quicker than a IHE Yaris MT. Butt dyno's are rarely very reliable.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #30
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

The 2010 Eclipse is competitively priced for its class, but it lacks the power and performance offered by its rivals. The Eclipse also falls short on cargo space and passenger room compared to other affordable sports cars. Fuel economy on the new model is respectable, with the Eclipse achieving a city/highway rating of 20/28 mpg.

New car guide sites list the 2009 Eclipse’s Intellichoice 5 year cost of ownership as $35,934, which is poor for an affordable sports car. Reliability is also a major concern with the 2010 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The 2010 Eclipse received a score of just 4.0 out of 10 on the J.D. Power Quality Ratings for predicted reliability. On the bright side, Mitsubishi offers incredible warranty protection. The 2010 Eclipse comes with a five-year/60,000-mile basic warranty, a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, and five years of roadside assistance.

Conclusion: Is the 2010 Eclipse a Smart Buy?

Usually, driving a head-turning sports car comes at a cost. You have to deal with the rough ride, the poor fuel economy, and lethal acceleration. But with the 2010 Mitsubishi Eclipse, you get all the trappings of a sassy sports car without the faults. The Eclipse isn’t a performance car by any means, offering mediocre acceleration and questionable braking. On the other hand, the Eclipse looks terrific and provides as many upscale amenities as most luxury cars. Add a comfortable ride and amazing warranty protection to that list of qualities, and you’ve got a solid form of transportation that no one will ever know is not really a sports car.
lol
Old 05-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #31
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlee View Post
ugh, don't preach to people about what they want to do with their credit and their oweing others cash....

and jeez, just because it might not get rave reviews doesn't mean the car sucks, so don't knock his choice either... obviously he wanted a faster car, and he said screw the mileage.... you know, I bet he doesn't turn his car off at stop lights either, and runs the a/c ALL the time too
IMO BailOut's right. You can see it as preaching if you want, but it's really good advice.

Saving up to buy stuff (rather than acquiring more debt) FTW !

Did you know that the main reason behind the Great Depression and the economic collapse we had 2 years ago (and are still in actually) was *borrowed money* ?

Last edited by tomato; 05-13-2010 at 11:24 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #32
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Still, I hope YW people are here for the love of cars, not just A car.

Well said.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #33
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I personally LOVE the new Genesis Coupe and would have gone for that over the Eclipse. But that's just me.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #34
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Still, I hope YW people are here for the love of cars, not just A car.
I'm here for the love of high MPG, low MSRP, tight turning radius and old-fashioned manual windows and locks. ;)
Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #35
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
I personally LOVE the new Genesis Coupe and would have gone for that over the Eclipse. But that's just me.
Agreed. That thing is a mustang-killer, at least on the autox course. Gonna be dominant in G-stock this year.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #36
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
IMO BailOut's right. You can see it as preaching if you want, but it's really good advice.

Saving up to buy stuff (rather than acquiring more debt) FTW !

Did you know that the main reason behind the Great Depression and the economic collapse we had 2 years ago (and are still in actually) was *borrowed money* ?
But everybody that saves up to pay cash for big ticket stuff like cars and homes, raise your hands. My guess, not too many.

My credit score is 798, I wait for super low financing (sometimes 0%), make low payments, save my cash reserve.

Main reason for the collapse wasn't because they loaned out the money, it was because they were too greedy to use a little discretion before they loaned out the money. Instead of using some common sense and advising the customer to settle for less, something that their budget could afford, they pushed through a sale they knew would most likely go belly up.

OP didn't ask for financial advice, that's what a CPA is good for. On a MB they were probably expecting just the traditional response.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote