Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #19
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.

The Beatles
Rise Against
System Of A Down
Linkin Park
The Used
DJ Teisto
DJ Antoine

Random stuff, I got everything incase someone in my car doesnt like what I like :)

10 cds

and 800 songs on my gold iPod Nano
Old 10-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #20
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
I have several MP3 CDs in the car and there's a mixture of what my wife likes and what I like. She likes disco (yuck) and some other classic rock stuff. I like other things, but no matter who is in our car, they get to experience possibly some new music in their life, because we play our stuff. Our car...our music! The passenger can get over it, or get out! LOL!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #21
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Speaking of music, did you guys notice the Google's splash page today (because John Lennon's birthday is tomorrow and he would have been 70's). Just imagine all the music we could have had, had he lived.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #22
chrisj

You know, I liked John Lennon way back when, and I still have lots of his music on my iPod Touch. But, he's been dead for nearly 30 years. I don't know why people still go on and on about him. I'm over it and have been forever. I just can't see him at 70 anyway. There's some stars like that who you just know aren't gonna make it. Elvis was another one like that. You just can't imagine (no pun intended) them old. I can't anyway.

Of course the Stones are still at it (with no gray hairs, except for Charlie) at almost 70. I think there comes a time when these guys need to give it up. It starts to look a little pathetic. I saw Paul McCartney's old, saggy 68-year-old ass bobbing his head and singing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". That was sad.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #23
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
You know, I liked John Lennon way back when, and I still have lots of his music on my iPod Touch. But, he's been dead for nearly 30 years. I don't know why people still go on and on about him. I'm over it and have been forever. I just can't see him at 70 anyway. There's some stars like that who you just know aren't gonna make it. Elvis was another one like that. You just can't imagine (no pun intended) them old. I can't anyway.

Of course the Stones are still at it (with no gray hairs, except for Charlie) at almost 70. I think there comes a time when these guys need to give it up. It starts to look a little pathetic. I saw Paul McCartney's old, saggy 68-year-old ass bobbing his head and singing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". That was sad.
hahahahahah
Old 10-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #24
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I just like way too much to list
+1

From classical to (some) rap, hip hop and just about everything in between, including a lot of World Music, Jazz, Blues, Bluegrass, Country, Rock, Alternative, you name it.. No metal, though.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #25
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post

Ahh, but that's because you haven't seen Neil Young lately, or Crosby... these guys continue to amaze me. you don't realize how good they still are until you see them perform in public. They still "sound" good and still got it as far as I'm concerned.

I think John Lennon probably would have done magic. Elvis didn't really invent anything. The Beatles really did.

Now John Lennon and Paul McCartney were gifted in that they they were the first band that 3 generations of people could sit and listen together. They came up with timeless classics that are close to 50 years old and still sound good. (2c)
Old 10-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #26
tomato
Super Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okd3hLlvvLw
Old 10-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #27
chrisj

^ I get it, Tomato. Let me get my Bic lighter out and start waving! LOL!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #28
tomato
Super Moderator

Oh, I've never had a lighter but here is the thing

Some of these older musicians can just blow your socks off.

I saw BB King... yeah, he can't walk but he still can play
Old 10-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #29
tomato
Super Moderator

Went to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival last WE

http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/

You know Doc Watson? He's well in his 80's. Voice isn't the same but still good and clear, but man he can still play.

A lot of big names, "seasoned" musicians were there. Good stuff

Last edited by tomato; 10-09-2010 at 02:33 AM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:09 AM   #30
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
i just hate when people mention the likes of john lennon, and then mention real musicians in the same breath.

lennon single handedly destroyed the beatles, and McCartney wrote almost all of the good music anyways.

I do like some of the beatles music, but come on, people act like they invented music.

i could ramble on forever, but the point is the beatles weren't even the best band of their time, the beach boys were better.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #31
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
i just hate when people mention the likes of john lennon, and then mention real musicians in the same breath.

lennon single handedly destroyed the beatles, and McCartney wrote almost all of the good music anyways.

I do like some of the beatles music, but come on, people act like they invented music.

i could ramble on forever, but the point is the beatles weren't even the best band of their time, the beach boys were better.
As time goes on, it's getting harder and harder for people to make the case about the Beatles anyway. My kids are 23 and 17, and they have other ideas about who had the most influence on music. Of course this is natural. I was 14 when the Beatles broke up myself, and that was 40 years ago. Elvis had an influence in the 50's, the Beatles/Stones/Beach Boys in the 60's, etc. My daughter is 23 and lists the Beatles as one of her favorite groups, and sometimes I feel like she just says that in homage to me or something. I like various rock/jazz/soul/whatever music, but I am def not stuck in some time warp. I can move on, and did.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #32
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
this is my new #1 , make sure you look at the original video at the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw
I like the original part at the end. Who is that?
Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #33
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
It would be easier to list all that I don't like-

Rap, hip-hop, speed metal,death metal, gospel

Some favorites on my IPOD are Deep Purple, Styx, Tom Petty, CSN, CSNY, Neil Young, Clifton Chenier, Johnny Cash, Toby Keith, Brooks & Dunn, Micheal Doucet, Talking Heads, Clash, Sex Pistols, Ruts, Sham 69, Rockapella, Elvis Costello, Heaven 17, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Porter Waggoner, Dylan, Miles Davis, Coltrane, David Sanborn, Buddy Guy, Albert Collins

I tend to go more for the artist, not the genre- I like some house, i.e. "Jump Around", some old disco, space music, i.e. Tangerine Dream, funk, i.e. Parliment Funkadelic
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #34
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post

John Lennon wasn't a real musician? Oh, Ok. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #35
Dragracer
Yaris Noobie

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 Door
I'm still stuck in the 80's!
Old 10-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #36
chrisj

I have about 350 songs on my iPod Touch. I have a collection of about 100,000 tracks, and slowly and methodically went through them all to find ones I liked. I suppose it's a shame that all I could bear to listen to on a regular basis are 350 of them.