Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #19
brutal910

Drives: 2007 tyota yaris 2 door hatchb
beginner bike

what's up cofiend,a good starter bike would be a suzuki sv 650,kawasaki 650 ninja, or maybe a hyosung 650, and prices are cheap.under 5,000 i beleive. also depends on your size. good luck. Hi kasey, sorry i didn't introduce myself my name is robert nice to meet you. my brother's ktm i almost need a milk crate to get on the damn thing and i'm 5ft 9. but that thing hauls ass. if you can keep the front wheel on the ground it will do 115 mph!! Who won the moto gp race this weekend? I missed it.
brutal910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffiend View Post
I've been thinking about getting a bike.

Any suggestions for a CHEAP beginner bike?

I was checking out some craigslist ads and there looks to be some decent deals but I dont want to unintentionally get a bike thats way too much for me to handle as a first time rider. haha.
Take the Motorcycle safety course. It teaches you a lot + they provide the bikes for you to ride. I had a good time when I did mine like 2 years ago

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #21
brutal910

hey coheed, thats a cool honda, Ive seen some cool retro cafe racers made out of bikes like yours. good luck gettin it runnin.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #22
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffiend View Post
I've been thinking about getting a bike.

Any suggestions for a CHEAP beginner bike?

I was checking out some craigslist ads and there looks to be some decent deals but I dont want to unintentionally get a bike thats way too much for me to handle as a first time rider. haha.

IMO, The ninja 250 is a great beginner bike and they are easier to find used and they do hold their value for when you're ready to sell it and get a bigger bike.

I also agree with Kustom Play. Take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation). It's a classroom and hands on class that will certify you for your M1 license. All you have to do is take the written portion of the exam, the MSF class bypasses the road test (which is damned near impossible for even advanced riders). Completion of the MSF can also give you insurance discounts.
KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #23
brutal910

engine oil

Hi kasey, this is Robert,what kind of engine oil do you use? I just bought a gallon of castrol 10/50 rst fully synthetic for 40 bucks at cycle gear. I'm planning on changing my oil and cleaning my chain this weekend. Do you do your own maintenence? I love working on my own bikes, i always seem to learn something new everytime. It beats paying a couple of hundred bucks for someone else to do it.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:35 AM   #24
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Robert- I do all my own oil changes/maintenance that I physically can. I usually go with a Repsol oil (10/40 is all I really need here). I simply go to my local motorcycle parts supplier to pick up a filter & drain plug washer.

Be careful when cleaning the chain if you use a rag. I know of a few people who have lost fingers as a result of keeping the bike in gear and running while on a rear stand. Put the bike on a stand and move the wheel yourself... don't take the chance with cleaning while it's running in gear.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:27 AM   #25
brutal910

cleaning you chain

Hi Kasey, how's it goin? thanks for the tips on cleaning my chain. I will definately put my bike on the rear stand and remove the rear wheel. I will also have to remove my exhaust pipes, it's pretty easy. I won't be running it in gear, I'll just do it manually and have a few cold ones. thanks again,it's not to often you run into young women like yourself that are into bikes as much as you are. there's alot of men out there that don't know squat about bikes but they can ride in a straight line with their hayabusas. Keep up the good work Kasey ,talk to ya later.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:05 AM   #26
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Robert: Are you removing the wheel/exhausts because you need to? I clean my chain without taking the wheel off... Thanks for the sweet compliments, I believe in fully understanding machines like motorcycles since you put your life on the line every time you go riding. Neglecting something like a chain, for example, can be so dangerous... If one were to break while riding and get caught in your wheel... yikes.
Sorry I didn't respond to your question about who got to the podium on motogp, I didn't catch the race either! :( Definitely watch this weekend though... Laguna Seca!!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #27
brutal910

chain cleaning and stuff

What's up Kasey? It's 1;30 am here in Texas, I just got home from work. just winding down here on the laptop.you are very welcome for the compliments. As for my wheel, i really don't have to remove it but it's alot easier to get to the other side of the chain also get a better look at my brake pads check my hub bearings mv's are bad about hubs going out.I always torque to specs.75ft. lbs. on rear axle nut. Laguna seca this weekend ,ALL RIGHT!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #28
brutal910

rear stand mv agusta

does anybody know where i can buy another plastic sleeve for on of these stands? sometimes i can't get the stand out of the hub, fit's tight. i might have to sand the sleeve down and get some of the notches out of it. but i need sleeve for my other stand i bought used from a freind. here's a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1220091633c.jpg (189.7 KB, 28 views)