Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
Germans like Chinese.
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I'm forced to buy too much Chinese stuff, as is. For pure ideological reasons alone, I'd never buy a Chinese car. Ever. That combined with the fact that the quality will most likely suck.....no thanks. I'm sure the political left in this country will jump at the opportunity to assist China in its ascendency to Super Power status, because we all know about their respective love affair with government control over the individual. But me, I value the individual over all else and will therefore stick with my Yaris and when my Yaris dies, I'll get another Japanese car.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Thats the past. The future might be different.

If you would have told me when I bought my Yaris three years ago Id be replacing the waterpump under warranty at ~ 25k miles I wouldnt have believed it.
A waterpump going sour at 25k is one thing.

An engine sucking a valve at 25k is another.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
Main problem with this? I value my life. VW may have built no-frill cars, but I actually trust a VW car to keep my butt safe. I'm not trusting the Chinese industry to actually build something that won't;

1) Randomly have parts fail or rip apart

2) Flake apart like a paper crane in a collision

I'll stick to brands I know. I'm good with being adventurous and switching up toilet paper and breakfast cereal brands every now and again, but I'm not putting my life in the hands of a country famous for shoddy goods.
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
A waterpump going sour at 25k is one thing.

An engine sucking a valve at 25k is another.

A water pump failure at this point is totally unacceptable from a car maker like Toyota.

If they dont fix this problem I will be entertaining all options come new car time.

Yes a dropped valve is a bad thing.

But its in the past and near present and not the future.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #24
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Bring on the Chinese,What is everyone afraid of???
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #25
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Quote:
For years now we have been at the mercy of domestic and foriegn cars making us buy cars with features we do not want. Electric windows, power mirrors, remote entry, ABS, airbags, automatic transmission the list is endless. They use mind control to make us want these things. They use mind control to make us think its OK to PAY for them too.

Well all that may be about to change. Like the VW of the 50s and 60s which made as basic reliable no frills car, China may be about to rock the automotive world:

http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/...nough-car?lite
Mind control? Really? Please give me an example of how, let's say, Mazda uses mind control to make me buy one of their cars.

Also, as someone said, the safety things you mention are mandated by the government, not the automakers.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #26
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
Bring on the Chinese,What is everyone afraid of???

!MSG!

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #27
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...D047519C0F42C8

wow rear doors open but windows popout not roll down not for me would have made more sense if it was a 2dr hatch instead of 4dr

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #28
12 yaris

Too bad we'll never see any here,I might be tempted to trade...
Personlized plate? MSG...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #29
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathegg View Post
Mind control? Really? Please give me an example of how, let's say, Mazda uses mind control to make me buy one of their cars.
I didnt say they use mind control to make you buy one of their cars.

By their commercials they make the public want fancy expensive cars. Like BMWs.

A large segment of the public thinks their social status is measured by their car.

Fortunately I am unaffected by this so I can warn everybody before its too late.

Or they chop my head off.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #30
12 yaris

Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #31
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
I'm forced to buy too much Chinese stuff, as is. For pure ideological reasons alone, I'd never buy a Chinese car. Ever. That combined with the fact that the quality will most likely suck.....no thanks. I'm sure the political left in this country will jump at the opportunity to assist China in its ascendency to Super Power status, because we all know about their respective love affair with government control over the individual. But me, I value the individual over all else and will therefore stick with my Yaris and when my Yaris dies, I'll get another Japanese car.....
ITA with you on everything you stated! I guess it's our Midwestern values kickin' in.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #32
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Germans get to drive VWs and they dont like Chinese?
Caineroad's comment made me laugh as well. I used to belong to a German cultural group (a social group) and spent tons of time with German nationals who are now U.S. citizens. Lets just say the German people are unique. Germans don't specifically dislike the Chinese, they are just very precise and don't like things being done cheaply (in a less than optimal quality sense....at least as they perceive quality).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #33
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
You sir, deserve a parade!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #34
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
" A water pump failure at this point is totally unacceptable from a car maker like Toyota. "

Agree . Had a '86 Corolla with 240,000+ miles and never an issue with a water pump . Had to get the alternator rebuilt twice and did the removal / install . The alternator had well over 100,000 both times it failed . The cost was reasonable as well . Ain't what they used to be .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #35
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
ITA with you on everything you stated! I guess it's our Midwestern values kickin' in.
A few years ago I was at a Starbucks in a major metro in California. I ended up getting in an hours long conversation with the guy sitting next to me. Interesting guy. He was from Kenya and had come to UC Berkeley to study. He was probably in his late 20's and is a Software Engineer. He was working at Oracle at that time. While studying, he met a fellow student who had come to UC Berkeley from Texas. Eventually, she wanted to get married and he didn't. She came back to Texas and met and married someone here. He looks upon her as the one that got away. His parents live in Kenya and want him to come back to Kenya and find a nice Kenyan girl to marry. He told me he might do that, or he might stay here in the U.S. He said if he stays here, he would never marry a woman raised on either coast. He said he would only marry a Midwestern girl!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #36
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
" A water pump failure at this point is totally unacceptable from a car maker like Toyota. "

Agree . Had a '86 Corolla with 240,000+ miles and never an issue with a water pump . Had to get the alternator rebuilt twice and did the removal / install . The alternator had well over 100,000 both times it failed . The cost was reasonable as well . Ain't what they used to be .
I wonder if Bronsin got what my dad used to call "a Friday car" or "a Monday car". I think I got "a Wednesday car" --- over 226k on my original water pump and my first alternator lasted 159k......and the replacement is still going strong.