Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #19
silvermeca

Drives: Silver Meca S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush
Ok, unless theres some secret I cant find, you cant very easily take apart your tail-lights so I'm scrapping the idea (i'll prob just tint them).*

Soooo... I took out my stereo; and inturn took it apart. Here is a pic of the head unit without its pretty face plate (see attached)

behind the LCD are atleast another 24-30 more leds.... so if you guys want me to create a DIY let me know.. or say nah because this is not going to be a very un-user friendly mod (an ass load of un-soldering and just as much*soldering - between 50-60 leds to remove and replace)

The cost of new led:*
blue ------ per led $0.29 (for 50-99; i'd get 65) total = $18.85
white ---- per led $0.55 (for 50-99; i'd get 65) total = $35.75
I would love to see the after shot once all the lights have been changed. Honestly though, although you have no problem changing the lights, the image of me trying to do all that soldering is a bit too intimidating. I might end up just changing out the entire deck. I heard we can use the Echo's installation kit and the face would fit the Yaris. Has anyone done this? If so, furnish the pics so we can see how it looks like.
silvermeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:21 PM   #20
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
I'm really trying to find a local reseller of elec. components before I go ahead and order 60+ leds (I want to test the blue leds as the backlight on the LCD; i;m not too sure how that will look... I know white will work)...

but well typing this I think I'll just order 5 of each color to test the LCD backlight portion of this mod... will post pics and then a DIY as I progress.*

Just finished my making my grounding kit and will be getting my amp soon, as well as my DF210's... so this mod (being the most difficult) will mix'd between them all. But I will update as progress is made.

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:44 PM   #21
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermeca
I would love to see the after shot once all the lights have been changed. Honestly though, although you have no problem changing the lights, the image of me trying to do all that soldering is a bit too intimidating. I might end up just changing out the entire deck. I heard we can use the Echo's installation kit and the face would fit the Yaris. Has anyone done this? If so, furnish the pics so we can see how it looks like.

there are kits for the yaris, you can search the forums here, and find part numbers, and other usefull information about the install kits ;)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #22
Ayka

Drives: 07' Yaris HB | Blazin' Blue
Vodka, are you planning on replacing the Green Backlights behind the Vent/AC/Temp Controls as well as the Shifter as well? Those are the ones Im really interested in, as I got the Convienence Package, and I just plan on replacing my Head Unit
Ayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #23
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermeca
I used an Echo trim kit. There are pictures of this setup on the boards already. Just search for 'em.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #24
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayka
Vodka, are you planning on replacing the Green Backlights behind the Vent/AC/Temp Controls as well as the Shifter as well? Those are the ones Im really interested in, as I got the Convienence Package, and I just plan on replacing my Head Unit
I'm planning on replacing all the green; so the HU, Heat/AC controls, gear lights. If got alotta stuff going on now, so this project has been put on the backburner so I can finish more functional based mods/upgrades before winter hits

will work for parts
Old 09-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #25
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
If you could take some photos of the Heat/AC control LED swap and post a tutorial, I'll let you sleep with my wife.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #26
Ayka

Drives: 07' Yaris HB | Blazin' Blue
what do you think this would do to affect the Standard Toyota Warranty... I gotta pour over all that Paperwork >.<, Car is barely a week old =P
Ayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #27
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
If you could take some photos of the Heat/AC control LED swap and post a tutorial, I'll let you sleep with my wife.
I'll PM as soon as I'm done

will work for parts
Old 09-30-2006, 07:49 AM   #28
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayka
what do you think this would do to affect the Standard Toyota Warranty... I gotta pour over all that Paperwork >.<, Car is barely a week old =P
I can guarantee that de-soldering and re-soldering new LEDS into place will almost certainly void the warantee for that part... but that's the thing, legally (as far as I'm aware) the only parts they can void on warrantee are parts that you modified.

Oh... and I would label this a intermediate to expert DIY, smd LEDs are a PITA!
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #29
jeff_o

Drives: 07 Yaris
Send a message via ICQ to jeff_o Send a message via MSN to jeff_o Send a message via Yahoo to jeff_o
i've seen how cellphone technicians replace LED backlights... i have to say this but you have to be skillfull on the de-soldering/soldering part. these guys are just amazing... the just tap the tip then take out the LED in less than a sec. then put the new one in like a sec as well.
jeff_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #30
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
dosnt take long with such a tiny tiny amount of solder...better be quick or else ;)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:16 PM   #31
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

yah, it should be pretty easy, its just that your gonna want to have either a chip extrator tool or smal pliers to remove the green led and place the new one.

I'm ordering the LEDs in 2weeks. I'll update with pics as progress is made

will work for parts
Old 09-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #32
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Tweezers and a Soldering iron that has multiple power modes, set it on it's lowest setting, you don't want to fry something by overheating it.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #33
jeff_o

Drives: 07 Yaris
Send a message via ICQ to jeff_o Send a message via MSN to jeff_o Send a message via Yahoo to jeff_o
it would be great if they invent an LED that you can plug and play... just like HELLA peanut bulbs.
jeff_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #34
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Alright, just placed my order for 10 surface mount white leds (to make sure they will work correctly with the stereo). I will take some pics of the color swap and post a couple of pics, then after I order the rest of the LED's I'll put together a DIY.

heres a link to the ones I'm ordering:
White Surface Mount LEDs

will work for parts
Old 11-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #35
the_saint
50% borikén

Drives: 06 Mazda5, 90 240sx
If you're afraid to DIY this guy does them for the Scions, a couple of Toyotas & some bikes.
http://www.ledmods.net/0406xb.html
Probably no reason he wouldn't do it for the Yaris as well.

...or maybe vodkalush could open up a side business.
the_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #36
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

I started another thread. but here are pics of the install of my test LED's (I got ones that where a tad too small; but they worked

I just placed my final order for white and blue (replacing all non-white on gauge cluster with blue)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color change.jpg (161.5 KB, 96 views)

will work for parts