Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #361
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
ITS ALIVE IT'S ALIVE

A fu*king ignition module was the reason. Thanks to haltech support I was able to solve the problem after they got me replaced with new coils instead. Now it idles like a sweet girl smiles at you and rev up like never before and this only with a map sent from haltech!!

Now I need to install the last few bits:

- NST 3x pulley kit
- Nitto torque damper
- Celica 2ZZ-GE intake manifold + 2ZZ-GE 72mm throttle Body

Also I noticed that from the output hole of the turbo (that goes into the intercooler piping) it leaks some oil from it. It happens when revving much the engine. Could be the seals of the turbo that need replacement or should I leave it?

What I need to do? Is it expensive to repair it? What are the items needed?
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #362
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
congrats that is awesome
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #363
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
congrats that is awesome
What do you suggest about the turbo oil leak problem garm?
Old 11-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #364
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
What's your oil pressure like when u rev it?
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:26 AM   #365
Parmas

And look what arrived yesterday!

A 2ZZ intake with a 70mm throttle body! Tried fitting on spare engine and there are only minor issues to solve :

- To mate the 1NZ intake flange with the 2ZZ intake
- Some clearing issues on the front ( It could be that the intake hit radiator piping)
- Right Mounting holes
- Increase length of right intercooler pipe due to throttle body at an angle

If this works I cannot say what are the gains but at least I can show that it can be done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2445.jpg (172.4 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2446.jpg (155.2 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2447.jpg (59.4 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2448.jpg (53.4 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2449.jpg (67.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2450.jpg (149.9 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by Parmas; 11-28-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #366
Parmas

Please check this thread.... http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...932#post539932
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #367
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmas View Post
The problem is about sure that is a software issue but we need Haltech support to solve it before we continue.... sooo the car goes back again into my fu..ing garage.

If haltech will not solve it within the next month I have no choice but to make custom triggering wheels for the crank and the cam using Haltech Hall Effect sensors.

I hope this would be the last issue as I am really pissed of about this engine and it is making me sick.
they (haltec), may have told u this already, the crank trigger settings are the same as the scion tc (they flew to our shop to create basemap on our dyno). are you using the sport 1000 or sprint 500? if you ever run into the issue of accelerating hard thru the gears and then the car hits a "cut", pm me and ill tell u the fix, has to do with the crank trigger voltage and filter settings.
cool build!

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #368
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
they (haltec), may have told u this already, the crank trigger settings are the same as the scion tc (they flew to our shop to create basemap on our dyno). are you using the sport 1000 or sprint 500? if you ever run into the issue of accelerating hard thru the gears and then the car hits a "cut", pm me and ill tell u the fix, has to do with the crank trigger voltage and filter settings.
cool build!
Hi man, the issue wasn't the triggering but the ignition modules. Haltech replaced them with built in ignitor coils and worked like a charm.

Now I am tuning the engine myself and till now I done mapping of the engine with 9psi boost and 5000rpm [with AFR LOW 14 / HI 10.5 (boost) ]. This week I am preparing the car for the final tune which is the 2ZZ intake. If all goes fine, I have to retune the engine for the larger o/d of the 2ZZ intake Throttle Body (70mm) and runners
Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #369
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Quote:
Hi man, the issue wasn't the triggering but the ignition modules. Haltech replaced them with built in ignitor coils and worked like a charm.

Now I am tuning the engine myself and till now I done mapping of the engine with 9psi boost and 5000rpm [with AFR LOW 14 / HI 10.5 (boost) ]. This week I am preparing the car for the final tune which is the 2ZZ intake. If all goes fine, I have to retune the engine for the larger o/d of the 2ZZ intake Throttle Body (70mm) and runners
sweet, love that haltec software i bet. It is really nice. That 70mm throttle body should open up a lot of power.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #370
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
the human head weighs 8 pounds

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #371
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
sweet, love that haltec software i bet. It is really nice. That 70mm throttle body should open up a lot of power.
After my experience with this unit, I can say it is worth the money and since now I seen no issues with it. Solid rock ecu, full of description on all option tabs ( a must for beginners ) and reliable performance. Also to consider that it is good for almost any engine and features latest cam control technology + stock sensor compatability.

I am no expert on tuning, and with this unit I was capable to tune a reliable 9psi boost till 5000rpm (at least for now :) )

I am hoping better response with this intake. Let's be straight, If any would tell you what do you prefer between a custom intake or a Toyota proven one, I vote for Toyota and here it is!

I hope it will be ready for a christmas present to my self
Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #372
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:

I am hoping better response with this intake. Let's be straight, If any would tell you what do you prefer between a custom intake or a Toyota proven one, I vote for Toyota and here it is!
Can you explained to me what is your logic on using a manifold from an engine that is 1.8 liters & revs 8000rpm on a 1.5 liter that revs 6300rpm? Are you aware that intake manifolds are designed to work within a specific RPM range? I dont get why you would think that the factory manifold from the 2ZZ would be a manifold than a custom one engineered to work for a specific engine combination.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #373
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post

1. Can you explain to me what is your logic on using a manifold from an engine that is 1.8 liters & revs 8000rpm on a 1.5 liter that revs 6300rpm?

2. Are you aware that intake manifolds are designed to work within a specific RPM range?

3. I dont get why you would think that the factory manifold from the 2ZZ would be a better manifold than a custom one engineered to work for a specific engine combination.
1. I am no expert in intake manifolds but I am sure this manifold will definetly show more gains than the stock one. Since it was used on a 1.8L engine which revs 8000rpm it will surely be a plus with a 1.5L turbo engine.

2. I am sure it is the case, but who cares now that I am turbocharged. The stock intake wasn't designed to be used with forced induction.

3. The only answer for this is the price. The 2ZZ manifold + 2ZZ TB cost me half or lower than a quoted custom intake manifold only!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #374
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Do you have any pictures of the progress on the manifold? Is he just custom fabricating the upper portion of the manifold so it fits the 1NZ head and the lower part of the 2ZZ manifold?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #375
cdydjded

Quote:
1. I am no expert in intake manifolds but I am sure this manifold will definetly show more gains than the stock one. Since it was used on a 1.8L engine which revs 8000rpm it will surely be a plus with a 1.5L turbo engine.

2. I am sure it is the case, but who cares now that I am turbocharged. The stock intake wasn't designed to be used with forced induction.

3. The only answer for this is the price. The 2ZZ manifold + 2ZZ TB cost me half or lower than a quoted custom intake manifold only!
1)Again you yourself admit no expertise on intake manifolds. So your logic makes no sense. You are going to waste your time & money.
2)You are correct about the stock manifold, but no one has reached the max limits of it. And the 2zz was also never designed for boost.
3)You will never get anywhere by cutting corners, especially price. Cheaper is never better. There are many reasons custom intake manifold are expensive.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #376
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
1)Again you yourself admit no expertise on intake manifolds. So your logic makes no sense. You are going to waste your time & money.
2)You are correct about the stock manifold, but no one has reached the max limits of it. And the 2zz was also never designed for boost.
3)You will never get anywhere by cutting corners, especially price. Cheaper is never better. There are many reasons custom intake manifold are expensive.
Well, the way you're giving advice you seem to be an expert on intakes manifolds. So how would you go about improving forced airflow without spending 5 grand on design and testing until you have the best possible flow you can have?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #377
cdydjded

I dont & will never claim to be an expert, but thx for the compliment ; )

I can tell you that long manifold runners are not made for boost, short runners are. So a manifold with shorter runners would improve airflow on boosted application. But there are many factors that need to be taken in cosideration such as:
Turbo size
Boost level
Cylinder head flow
Intended use (street or strip)

Im going to read over all of Parmas posts to give you my thoughts on the matter....
Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #378
cdydjded

After reading 21 pages of post all I can see is an engine that makes 250hp & that Parmas cant stop adding parts to his car. He need to stop making adding thinga & tune & dyno the car as it is. Thats my 2 cents...