Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #37
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
p.s. Body side molding? Is it worth it? The dealer only has black...will that be cool or hideous on a silver car?
I'm glad that you did not get that black side molding. It would have been BUTT UGLY. Side molding should match the color of the car, if it is going to be on the car at all.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #38
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Feet and knees should be 6-12 inches apart, not together. How are you gonna drive with your knees together anyway?
HAHA, I'm so overweight 6-12 inches apart is knees together for me. My knees can't get any closer than that. I guess I shoulda been more specific and got out the measuring tape

Well, I had my first experience with the traction control today.. Quite a snow storm we had and my Yaris handled it very well.. Had a little bit of sideways sliding going around a corner too fast in 1" of snow, but nothing major.. The stock tires really aren't great winter tires at all, that's for sure.. Problem is, my good set of Blizzak snows is on my 15 year old Saturn that has a bad Tranny... Changing the tires in the winter time is not fun, especially with snow and ice on the driveway, it can be dangerous if the jack slips.

How do I know if stability control is working? All I saw today was the little boxy traction control icon blinking when I was accelerating from a stop or accelerating out of a turn.. Is there not a stability control light in the 2010 Yaris??
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #39
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
it's the Vehicle Stability Control that saved you when going around the corner . Brakes are applied to wheels needed to keep the car from going out of control . I've tried it with a '08 2 door L.B. w/o V.S.C. or T.C. but with 4 studded snows then our '07 PRIUS with V.S.C. w/ traction control with the stock GOODYEAR all season tires in a wet snow covered parking lot and there was much better performance in the PRIUS with hardly if any kicking out of the rear end . Still doesn't mean you should drive fast for the conditions ( though many do ) . Even a computer can't always keep you in check . Regular or studded snows would improve your safety . Glad that you're o.k..

Last edited by Hershey; 01-06-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:55 AM   #40
Hershey

here's a demonstration for V.S.C. , T.C. , and A.B.S.at www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3m24bjkfg0&feature=fvw. Enjoy the ride .
Old 01-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #41
DaveG

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
p.s. Sold my old subaru today! what a relief! its yaris or bust for me now!
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #42
Hershey

Congrats . We're possibly picking up a 2010 automatic BLAZING BLUE 3 door on Tuesday . Got it for the V.S.C. and T.C.. A friend bought a 2010 METEORITE METALLIC 3 door with auto and is very impressed by the handling in snow and ice with the stock tires . Plan to put 4 COOPER Weather-MASTER ST-2 studded snowtires on the 2010 for extra security .
Old 04-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #43
wmgysi

Drives: yaris hatchback
Rolling a Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
I think the 2010's handle a lot better than the earlier models....probably due to the stability control & electronic brake distribution. I had an '09 hatchback that I rolled back in October and it didn't feel as crisp as the '10 hatchback I bought tob replace it.

Anyway, it is very cold and snowy here in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and all I have done to my Yaris is install a set of snow tires. It slips a bit on the ice, but it never gets stuck. I can zip around on the packed powder roads without it feeling like it's on the verge of losing control.....it is very predicable. I would highly recommend you get a good set of snow tires......well worth the $$. That said, it won't do as well as an AWD Subaru, so keep that in mind.

Having rolled a Yaris I can tell you they hold up very well.....they are tough little cars. If I hadn't bent up both drivers side wheels I could have driven it home. As for the price you have been quoted......I think $13,800 is a tad high for a 3-door without the power package. I paid $14,087 for my Carmine Red 3-door with power package, cold weather package & cruise control and I feel I could have gotten it for less if I tried a bit harder. Does that price include the $750 cash back from Toyota?? If not, then it would be right at $13K even which wouldn't be too bad. If it's $13,800 including the rebate then it is too high....keep negotiating.

Here's a picture of my wrecked '09:

14 days ago my son rolled a Yaris 2007 Sedan and it got totaled. The air bags did not come out. He wore seat belts and had not one little scratch. The car rolled of the shoulder in a sharp turn at about 60km/h and flipped to the side before hitting a heavy tree trunk. The roof got pushed in in the back about 8" and the window broke in the back. He crawled out the back window. However the door pointing up had the window open and he could have climbed out there as well. One draw back was, that the lights were still on. When I arrived at the crash scene I climbed inside to turn off the lights.

Generally speaking I feel the car is very well build to protect the driver but the insurance company wrote it off as not repairable and gave me a check for $12000+. I will pick up a Yaris Hatchback 2009 model for $ 13500, LE model with Convenience package that includes ABS, Electronic Brake Force Distr., Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Keyless Entry, Fold Down Rear Seat (60/40), Power Windows, Heated exterior mirrors, Power Remote Mirrors. The latter two I think are included in the LE model, up here in Canada. Good luck with finding a good deal. Check the Internet for Toyota Certified used cars from Toyota dealers near you. I pick mine up a 12 hour Greyhound ride away. If you want I can post a picture but I first have to find out how to do that, so let me know.
wmgysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #44
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
What year did they put in the side air bags? 09' and up or is it the 2010's only....cuz my 08' yaris sedan only has a driver and passenger airbag , no side airbags which im kind of worried about especially with a 2 year old kid in the back seat. But anytime im pushed around on the road by other cars i get back at them, drive passed them and thats why i keep a cup of pennies in my car cuz i just throw a penny out my window and chips their windshield +P lol i dont really do that but i think of it
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #45
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aothachos View Post
What year did they put in the side air bags? 09' and up or is it the 2010's only....cuz my 08' yaris sedan only has a driver and passenger airbag , no side airbags which im kind of worried about especially with a 2 year old kid in the back seat. But anytime im pushed around on the road by other cars i get back at them, drive passed them and thats why i keep a cup of pennies in my car cuz i just throw a penny out my window and chips their windshield +P lol i dont really do that but i think of it
I'm pretty certain that mine has the side airbags. I have the 09.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #46
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
'08 here with side airbags. Might have been an option at that point, I just don't recall.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote