Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #37
toyo

Drives: toyota
right leg hurts so bad when driving on my way to work, thinking about getting another seat or selling my car :( really becoming a problem for me
toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #38
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Just drove the following this weekend:

DC to Williamsburg, VA; back to DC, DC to Pittsburgh and back. My ride was pretty comfortable, and I'm 6'-2", 180 lbs.

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #39
nisyota

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
if i had CRUISE CONTROL it would be more comfortable. I could just relax and let my feet do the steering. LOL

but, other than that, the road noise is the worst... I wonder if you can get quieter tires...
nisyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #40
MUSKOKA800

Drives: Scion FRS RS2, ‘21 Crosstrek
Just back from a 5620 kl round trip, Burlington Ontario to Regina SK and back as week later.
I drove 13-15 hours per day via the US route at 65 to 80 mph (on cruise control) with no problems. Only stretched my legs at fueling stops. My daughter loved the ride stating "This is the life Daddy, Comfy pillow and blanket, DVD's, Ipod, DS, camera, paperbacks and munchies"
The only challenge was keeping the Sedan in it's lane when passing the Windy City on Monday. Two hands on the wheel for sure.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #41
Prohibit
Verbieten Sie

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Prohibit Send a message via MSN to Prohibit Send a message via Yahoo to Prohibit
i'm 5'5 and 140 lbs.

uncomfortable as hell

Hatchback Purist? Be sure to drop in and register. New forum with a great clean design and potential.
Prohibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #42
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
The seats are cheap and unsupportive. On long drives, my back hurts from the lack of support. I'm not fat, and I have no back problems. I work out regularly, and I'm 5'11, 170. It's the seats, not me. They suck.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #43
toyo

Drives: toyota
god damn seats! I hate them, so uncomfortable
toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #44
427chev

Drives: 2009 Yaris with TRD parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo View Post
god damn seats! I hate them, so uncomfortable
A local upholsterer dramatically improved my seat's support for $125.
2009 Base model Bayou Blue 3 door hatch, 5 speed manual trans, Option Group D, factory floor mats, accessory mud guards, TRD shocks/springs/rear bar, TRD leather wrapped shift knob, Pioneer FH-P8000BT "double DIN" head unit & 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers, stainless steel license plate screws, Toyota stainless exhaust tip, enhanced driver's seat (professional upholsterer added spring mesh to lower seat cushion which DRAMATICALLY improved support/comfort and also built up lumbar region in seat back for more aggressive lumbar support. Seat Mod Cost: $125; the seat "feels" $350 better.)
427chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #45
427chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo View Post
right leg hurts so bad when driving on my way to work, thinking about getting another seat or selling my car :( really becoming a problem for me
Sit in a new Fit sport.

They've got NICE seats.
2009 Base model Bayou Blue 3 door hatch, 5 speed manual trans, Option Group D, factory floor mats, accessory mud guards, TRD shocks/springs/rear bar, TRD leather wrapped shift knob, Pioneer FH-P8000BT "double DIN" head unit & 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers, stainless steel license plate screws, Toyota stainless exhaust tip, enhanced driver's seat (professional upholsterer added spring mesh to lower seat cushion which DRAMATICALLY improved support/comfort and also built up lumbar region in seat back for more aggressive lumbar support. Seat Mod Cost: $125; the seat "feels" $350 better.)
Old 04-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #46
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427chev View Post
A local upholsterer dramatically improved my seat's support for $125.
What did he do?
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #47
427chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesue View Post
What did he do?
Read my signature...

I rented a car from Enterprise for the day while he did the mods. He had to remove the seat from the car.

The "secret" to this is finding a GOOD upholsterer who specializes in restoration work while being unafraid of working on a seat that has integrated side airbags (like mine does).

The difference in the lower cushion in particular is AMAZING. It is much firmer and supportive; my butt no longer "sags" into the seat.

People who don't have seats with side airbags should find a Sparco seat that fits and order one (or two).

I don't think the stock seats are THAT bad, relative to the price of the car. I bought an '09 'Vette the same month I bought the Yaris; those seats were so bad that I sold the car (in addition to other quality related issues).
Old 05-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #48
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
Curious if this upholsterer has a link to a website?
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #49
427chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360cubes View Post
Curious if this upholsterer has a link to a website?
It's Top End Upholstery in Bristol, RI.

http://topendupholstery.com/

The bad news is that he's moving to South Carolina at the end of the month due to the business climate here in the Northeast.

You should be able to find someone relatively local if you look around and make some phonecalls.

The best place to start would be a restoration shop, which likely farms their upholstery work out.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #50
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Im 5'11" and 210 lbs, I just took a 1100 mile trip in 2 days last weekend and had no issues at all, I was actually comfortable each way, so I guess it really depends on what you are used to and how you position yourself in the seat.

I do not sit straight up in the seat, my lower half sits about 2 inches to the right in the seat, and that way my clutch leg has ample room to move while my accelerator foot stays steady.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:50 AM   #51
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360cubes View Post
I'd just like to get some opinions. If I decide on the Yaris I want to make sure the seats can keep my butt from going numb on 14+ hour drives. I'm 6'2" and 235lbs by the way. The Yaris will be replacing my long distance cruiser ('99 Taurus) which has served me well, but is starting to nickel and dime me in repairs.

I'd also like to add on if anyone has any other complaints, such as poor ride quality on OE tires; the 12V socket can't have more than two things plugged into it before the fuse blows (cell phone charger/GPS as example); or anything else you can think of! I do a few Florida runs each year (2800miles round trip) and am bad for driving 14+ hours at a time (BTW, I used to drive transport so it's nothing for me to drive that).
5'11" here and around 200lbs, but my inseam is only 27 inches so I'm closer to 6'2" for my torso and arms. Also, this is on an '07 Liftback, the '09 Liftback is a smidge comfier like they ironed out the construction details better for the US model now. The '09's have softer seats than my 19-month-old '07's seats though, oddly. Good for shorter trips, I prefer the stiffness of my '07's cushions for long trips since it won't "settle" during the trip at all. I also tend to have my car adjusted like a pickup-truck, seatback full upright.

I also have about 60lbs of sound dampening mat installed, and have sealed up the drivers-side door; it helps a lot with the road-drone and wind-noise, though since I have a medium-size CB antenna that makes enough wind noise I can still hear it obviously. The stock antenna mount point is a 1/2" square hole, perfect place to drop an aftermarket antenna for whatever radio spectrum you want to run on, if you're into that sort of thing for long road-trips.

Yaris works well for the umpteen-hour trip from Kansas City, Missouri all the way down to Huntsville, Alabama that I take once a year. I've never had any problems with the seats, or other passengers complaining about them. One small tip that's WAY too easy to overlook if you have back-seat folks riding along, the back seat tips back quite far as well from where it first 'latches' when folding it up from storing cargo back there. They recline enough if you don't have too much cargo behind them that they're pretty comfy to nap on during a long trip when not the driver, no need to try to lay over sideways.

Last edited by WolfWings; 05-03-2009 at 02:02 AM.
WolfWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:31 AM   #52
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427chev View Post
Read my signature...
Ooops, didn't read it actually. Thanks.
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote