Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #37
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
iPhone 2g (second hand). I had an HTC Quickfire (Quicksilver?), not sure of the name anymore. I had so many issues with that phone and the touch screen. 6 months into use and it hardly worked at all for me. The boyfriend was able to upgrade his phone (iPhone 2g) to the iPhone 3g, and he gave me his 2g since I still had 1.5 years left on the contract before I could upgrade again for a lower price.

I love the iPhone. I wish I had the ability to send SMS (still not available on the 2g, even with most recent software release). The amount of apps out there are phenomenal. The ones I use the most are Facebook, LoseIt (helping me track my calorie intake so I can lose weight), Pandora, The Weather Channel, and of course text messaging. I have a bunch of games that I play when I'm bored or forgot to grab a book for the daily train ride. I also have an app for reading MS Word/Excel files on the phone (thank you Google Docs for the tranferrability too)!

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #38
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
OK, haven't yet decided about the phone but I've just ordered a bluetooth headset already (checked for compatibility, device appears compatible with most phones) and these things are kind of handy (mandatory in California if you want make calls while driving). I picked an inexpensive one, just in case I put it down somewhere and forget it, which I'm totally liable to do

what do you think?

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/mot...-33060971.html

phone purchase still ongoing I guess, still undecided
lots of info out there.

The Google phone (Nexus 1) is *really* tempting (I already liked the G1).
Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #39
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
No smartphone yet, but when I get one it will be an iPhone. Not just because I'm an Apple fanboy (although I am) - I've read up on the whole field, and can't find any compelling reason to consider anything else.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #40
staypuft
aka SDMF

Drives: 07 LB Met Met
Send a message via AIM to staypuft
blackberry bold 9700, love it, i hate virtual keypads. battery is great, calling quality is real good. i came off an iphone and a g1. the bb is my choice overall so far. mostly because of call quality and battery life

follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/samuryan_x
staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #41
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I have the iPhone 3G and while it works for many things it can be quite annoying, The inability to multitask is something that irritates me at least once per day, it checks email at random times despite me having it configured to never do so, its call quality is horrible (I often have to ask people to repeat themselves), and if I leave the 3G antenna on it uses power at more than triple the rate without it.

I also intensely dislike that I have no control over the underlying parts of the phone unless I hack it. The iPhone's application handling and memory management is so jacked up that I much prefer to have the ability to kill processes at will. The artificial limitations on the brightness an application can use cripples "flashlight" utilities, so I go around them. Etc.

Still, I don't complain too loudly as neither the phone nor the monthly plan cost me anything. My employer picks up the tab.

If I were buying on my own today I would go with the Nokia N900. It is unlocked and quad band capable (meaning you can use it with any network), it runs a fork of Debian Linux called "Maemo" and has no restrictions in place, meaning that you have root access out of the box and can load just about any package from Debian's vast repositories, as well as applications that are specifically designed for it.

Thanks for the post. I 've heard a couple of complaints about call quality on the iPhone as well, but we're in san francisco which is a tough area for a cell phone because of all the hills, so I wasn't sure it was the phone or the area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Drooooiiid.

I love the Moto Droid. It does everything imaginable plus a few more things.

Don't know how I lived without a computer in my pocket before.
I hear that. That's the ultimate geek appeal ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffiend View Post
I love my iPhone 3g.

Plus with my upgrade through AT&T it was only 100 dollars, hard to pass up.

My girlfriend and I both used to have blackberries and absolutely HATED them. Terrible user interface, froze constantly, crappy browser, and cheaply constructed. I can't say too much about any of the other smart phones because I have no experience with them. All I know is that by the time I got rid of my blackberry, I hated it so much that I smashed it with a hammer... And that felt amazing.

You, my friend, have watched Office Space too many times j/k. You should have put your BB on e-bay, someone like me would have bought it
Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 AM   #42
tomato
Super Moderator

A lot of 3G's in the comments, that's to be expected.

Steve Wozniak apparently has gone on record about his top 3 phones:

1) iPhone
2) Droid
3) Nexus 1

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...e-wozniak.html
Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 AM   #43
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3b3l View Post
SIC I hate contracts
Word. So do I but if you're gonna stay with a company anyway, I guess it's OK. I was with sprint for almost 7 years because I didn't have a contract. Isn't that silly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKaelin View Post
I have an iphone 3g. Love it! Hate AT&T My g/f just got a Droid. It's really cool but has to be reboot every now nad then b/c of glitches. Verizon coverage is great around here.
Not a fan of AT&T either. I ditched them last year for their outrageous bills for my landline and went VOIP instead. No regret. In fact, I probably would have bought the iPhone already if another carrier had made the deal with Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
^+100,000

root and a good build of android from a decent coder *cough*CM*cough* makes the WORLD of difference with speed, battery life, glitches, everything.

I was actually dissatisfied with it until I did it.

the thing I love the most is the multitasking. everything you can think to do at once, it can do.
Ok, but I must have missed something here, what phone do you have? Looks like you found a hack that works for you. Let's talk later

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
rooting enables you to have acces to all the phone (areas where before it wouldn't let you enter now become accessible ), it gets rid of the carrier specific software which is inefficient and bogs down the phone, also if you get a custom ROM it will be optimized for performance by making the kernel (the main operation code) much more stable.The battery life will be extended by trimming out unnecessary parts of the software that would force the phone to almost a constant ON state (i.e gps always on or constant 3G connectivity).
I think I understand what you're saying. Kind of like reformating a computer when you get it out of the box to get rid of stuff you don't need that will bog down performance. I get the concept, not sure I'd be able to do it though. Did you find good info online about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staypuft View Post
blackberry bold 9700, love it, i hate virtual keypads. battery is great, calling quality is real good. i came off an iphone and a g1. the bb is my choice overall so far. mostly because of call quality and battery life
You know, I really do like tactile keypads, too.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:25 AM   #44
tomato
Super Moderator

OK, so this is what you guys have given me so far.

Quote:

- G1 HTC Dream
- G1 / recommend Nexus One
- HTC Hero (Sprint)
- Palm Pre : (2 devices)
- iPhone 3G : 9 of you (I didn't count the iPhone envy posts ;)
- iPhone 2G hand-me down: 1
- Blackberry Tour 9630 : 2
- Blackberry (older devices) recommended 4 times by Gideon ;)
- Blackberry bold
- Touch Pro 2
- Nokia N 900 recommendation
- Nokia E71
- Moto Droid: 2
- MyTouch 3 G non rooted.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #45
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
tomato if you need real good info go on www.xda-developers.com
Thanks PK.

The "rooting" explanation is over my head right now. I gotta try to figure out the basics first.

Ultimately, I'm probably going to decide according to a combination of factors: cost to own, how it feels in the hand, call quality, design, speed

Right now I'm shopping for plans, as well, so this might limit my choice somewhat.

The Google Nexus phone is unlocked, and that's a strong point for me. I f'ing hate contracts.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #46
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Thanks PK.

The "rooting" explanation is over my head right now. I gotta try to figure out the basics first.

Ultimately, I'm probably going to decide according to a combination of factors: cost to own, how it feels in the hand, call quality, design, speed

Right now I'm shopping for plans, as well, so this might limit my choice somewhat.

The Google Nexus phone is unlocked, and that's a strong point for me. I f'ing hate contracts.
it's unlocked yes but 'available for use' <<<note the quotes please
only on t-mobile......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #47
tomato
Super Moderator

I went to TMobile last night to look and it see how it feels in my hand. They didn't have any!!!

They told me if I wanted to look at it I would have to order it online, then if I didn't like it, I 'd pay a $10 restocking fee.

First time someone asks me pay $10 to look at something I want to buy. Can't blame TMobile, though, they're just following Google's policy.

I wouldn't mind staying with TMobile. They're alright.

They actually do offer a slightly cheaper plan for individuals who will buy the phone full price online directly from Google, but you only save $130 over 2 years. The advantage is no contract, of course.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #48
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i have an HTC touch for work.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #49
tomato
Super Moderator

^ that's a nice phone. played with it yesterday a little bit.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #50
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
+2 sorta, I dont have the droid yet.

Im literally counting down the days til im free of AT&T (38 Left) I'm like a kid waiting for christmas.

I've played with it numerous times at verizon stores. im going crazy.
Hahaha!!

There are some really cool video on youtube. Search for "unboxing droid"
and also "droid and Iphone comparisons. " I was online all day yesterday and found the greatest, most informative videos on utube (way more in depth that CNET's reviews). It'll give you a headstart on what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staypuft View Post
That's a great phone/device. I looked into it some more over the WE. I have an incentive to get one with TMobile at a somewhat discounted rate and cheaper plan. I like a phone that has a good call quality and battery life, and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg . The only thing I'm not sure about is how long am I gonna be happy with such a small screen, though. Also, the BB is not a strong internet surfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
it's unlocked yes but 'available for use' <<<note the quotes please
only on t-mobile......
I looked into it. It is coming to Verizon in March of this year in CDMA version (or hybrid? that would be cool)

Rumors have it that Apple might come out with a better iPhone this year (to keep up with the Droid ) . If that's true, there should be an announcement in a couple of days.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #51
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I went to TMobile last night to look and it see how it feels in my hand. They didn't have any!!!

They told me if I wanted to look at it I would have to order it online, then if I didn't like it, I 'd pay a $10 restocking fee.

First time someone asks me pay $10 to look at something I want to buy. Can't blame TMobile, though, they're just following Google's policy.

I wouldn't mind staying with TMobile. They're alright.

They actually do offer a slightly cheaper plan for individuals who will buy the phone full price online directly from Google, but you only save $130 over 2 years. The advantage is no contract, of course.

i forgot to mention, right now the nexus one is only available through google.com/phone
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #52
tomato
Super Moderator

For those of you who are interested, here is a pretty good iPhone v. Nexus One comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVyExV8SYo

and here is a pretty good Nexus One v. Droid comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqR9rD1tmSc

Last edited by tomato; 01-25-2010 at 01:12 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #53
jaytown

Drives: Yaris
Blackberry Storm, but looking into the Motorola Droid.
jaytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #54
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I have a Samsung Instinct and a Hero htc
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote