Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #37
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
well i guess i should be driving a dumptruck then.

i actually do enjoy driving my yaris, i just try to have some respect for the other people who share the road with me.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #38
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
stuffy, Is your Yaris a Manual or an Automatic?
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #39
stuffy

manual
Old 01-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #40
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
You can drive like a psychopath and drive defensively at the same time.

You'd know this if you've ever been in the car with my mother. 15+ years without an accident, and she drives 80 miles a day. Every day. Fast. Is she an exception to a rule? I think not.

The people that cause accidents are people that drive like this while trying to pay attention to their radio, cell phone, thermostat, how pretty the stitching in their seats are... in my book speed isn't the determining factor of what makes a safe driver or an unsafe driver. How you pay attention to the road and the amount of courtesy you show for other drivers... that is the benchmark.

In other words, if you drive like a nut and you know you drive like a nut, don't go for that lane change one car length from the guy you just passed at +25 MPH. Wait a few seconds.

Its the little things.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #41
stuffy

i agree with you to a point chinocharles, the people who aren't paying attention to the road are probably the most dangerous,
but the fact is, faster you are going, the less reaction time you have and when there is an accident, it is usually more severe at higher speeds.

i dont' deny that there are good drivers out there, but i really don't like the idea that we should be treating public roads like a racetrack.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #42
ChinoCharles
Banned

I hear where you're coming from, and you're right.

Although I will say some of the most dangerous people on the roads are the slow ones, am I right? Jesus, Grandma, I love you, but seriously... I'm cutting up your license. Take a cab.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #43
Biggie™

Drives: '07 3 Door Yaris of Doom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
thanks for the sermon biggie, but you seem to have missed my point,
The "point" of this thread was to find out if it was harmful to drop multiple gears at a time. And the answer was no...

What you seem to be missing is the Yaris driven aggressively isn't fast, it's not even quick! You need to floor it to keep up with normal traffic... Ask everyone passing you what they think about your slow and steady driving technique in the worlds slowest Toyota.

The Yaris is my commuter/winter car, and I really have to plan ahead to get that thing anywhere near dangerous.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #44
stuffy

i'm only clarifying my point biggie, because you felt the need to comment on one of my posts, member that?

i dont' know where i made the claim that the yaris was fast, or that i drive slow, or that it was dangerous to your car to downshift two gears, just that it was unecessary.
i'm not sure where you live but the yaris (despite not being fast) has no problem driving the speeds that everyone else on the road is driving, if this is what you mean by "keeping up with traffic".
i don't cruise in the passing lanes on expressways, i only use them when i need to pass someone. i'm not blocking anyone who feels like going faster, so why would they care about my driving technique?

i'm not so insecure that i need to be the fastest thing on the road, which is one of the reasons i drive a yaris.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #45
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Drop two gears at a go?

I guess it depends on how many RPMs you are spinning at your cruising speed.

Dropping two gears down could bring it very close to redline, which might make it pointless to drop two gears in the first place. On my car, 50mph and the engine's turning at about 2500rpm or so.

There might be a point in dropping a couple of gears if your vehicle had a turbo, or a "VTEC, y0" zone, but peak torque/power in the 1NZ-FE is somewhere in the midrange.

Also, you're probably giving the clutch friction material more wear skipping gears on a downshift than it normally handles when you shift down the gears one at a time, because of a greater RPM differential that it has to match.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #46
sanchez
vroooom!

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
the wide gears and the vvti make the yaris able to take the abuse but just dont go celebrating everyday lol
sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:08 PM   #47
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
its not downshifting it going to a lower gear when i teach some one stick they think downshifting is some complex thing
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:22 AM   #48
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
i agree with you to a point chinocharles, the people who aren't paying attention to the road are probably the most dangerous,
but the fact is, faster you are going, the less reaction time you have and when there is an accident, it is usually more severe at higher speeds.

i dont' deny that there are good drivers out there, but i really don't like the idea that we should be treating public roads like a racetrack.
I disagree, my reaction times usually improves the faster I go since I'm paying more attention to road (and police). If I'm distracted, which in my case is a host of causes... cell phone, company blackberry, Nav system, eating lunch/breakfast, etc.. I'll just pull over to the slow lane and find a safe hole in traffic and do my thing. Even then, with all my distractions, I've noticed that the other drivers on the roads are a bunch of retards when it comes to reaction time...they're taking way too long to get on the brakes..tsk tsk.. and it's usually not the fast drivers that are the retards (dangerous driving is another story).
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #49
stuffy

yes, what you said just makes loads of sense.

you (and everyone else on the road) have LESS reaction time when you are travelling faster, simply because your time between hitting or avoiding an object is lessened due to your speed. it can't be any more common sense than this, i dont' care if you have the reflexes of martin brodeur, the laws of physics apply to everyone on the planet (as far as i know).

what i really hope is that i never have a run in with you pars, while you are driving fast with all of those distractions. this is the definition of dangerous driving, imo, and your arrogance probably adds to the problem.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #50
ChinoCharles
Banned

... I didn't sense one iota of arrogance, malice or discontent anywhere in Pars's post.

Stuffy. Midol. Now.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #51
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
So much drama in this forum now..
Old 01-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #52
stuffy

Quote:
... I didn't sense one iota of arrogance, malice or discontent anywhere in Pars's post.

Stuffy. Midol. Now.
i just think the general idea of being in control while driving fast and distracted by numerous other things is arrogant.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #53
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2 View Post
So much drama in this forum now..
It comes and it goes.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #54
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Yeah I think I just got pulled into it, with that CHINO comment.