Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #73
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Wouldnt ever buy a Chinese made car.

Nothing from them lasts as good as German, USA, or Japan. <-- yes, that sounds very ignorant, but its been the truth for some time now.

They haven't got better in terms of products from China, bad fitment, etc...so dont think it will change in the next 10 years to come.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #74
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
Wouldnt ever buy a Chinese made car.

Nothing from them lasts as good as German, USA, or Japan. <-- yes, that sounds very ignorant, but its been the truth for some time now.

They haven't got better in terms of products from China, bad fitment, etc...so dont think it will change in the next 10 years to come.
I don't think it sounds ignorant. I agree.....but at some point (20 years?) China may come close.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #75
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
A few minutes ago I was writing a second post to that hilarious nonsense thread that two other members had made hilarious 'attempt to decipher' posts to. My first post had already posted. I clicked submit reply on the second post and got an invalid thread reply. I returned to that section and the entire thread was gone!....no 'moved' notification. Why? The replies were hilarious.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #76
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
As long as it passes test, it's good to go. Just give me the goodies; electric windows, remote keyless entry, abs, electric power steering, airbags all that stuff.They have one dealer near my house. I might give it a test drive and report back.They have Chery J3 (refer picture bottom) on sale.It's the size of a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic and priced as a base 3-door Toyota Yaris.Which is about $14, 999 brand new.I have seen the interior.Very basic i must say.

But why the name CHERY? boggles the mind.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #77
junorico24

Geely also has dived in the Australian market. This one is a YARIS look a like But it is only on sale on the east coast and not nation wide, unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zxitbrq440

Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #78
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
As long as it passes test, it's good to go. Just give me the goodies; electric windows, remote keyless entry, abs, electric power steering, airbags all that stuff.They have one dealer near my house. I might give it a test drive and report back.They have Chery J3 (refer picture bottom) on sale.It's the size of a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic and priced as a base 3-door Toyota Yaris.Which is about $14, 999 brand new.I have seen the interior.Very basic i must say.

I'd rather have a base Yaris, sans the goodies, for the same price.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #79
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I'd rather have a base Yaris, sans the goodies, for the same price.
Me and you already have one I have a rev happy Daihatsu Charade. Not looking to buy another car.I'd let this Chinese car thing marinate first until it's nice and tender before a i scoop a Chinese car.You know what I mean? Let them get better.Experts say the Chinese will probably improve quicker than Japanese makers.I was also looking at Proton.Which probably better than most Yankie cars

I WOULD NEVER BUY AN AMERICAN CAR!! hahaha
Old 09-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #80
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
I gotta ask this question...what American cars do they even sell in Australia? And have you ever been in an American car?

I've been in plenty of $hitboxes in my life and the Malaysian's, Russians, Czech, and Chinese are the clear winners of crap cars. Hell most Japanese cars excluding the big 3(Honda, Toyota, Nissan) are pretty awful, I wouldn't touch a Suzuki or Mitsubishi without a 100k warranty let alone a one of the fringe brands.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #81
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
For the time being, I would never consider any Chinese made car.

BTW, here's a 2012 Daihatsu Charade: Look familiar!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daihatsu-Charade-2011-FT1.jpg (30.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg daihatsu-charade-review-side.jpg (52.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg daihatsu-charade-review-rear.jpg (39.8 KB, 31 views)
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #82
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
For the time being, I would never consider any Chinese made car.

BTW, here's a 2012 Daihatsu Charade: Look familiar!
That's hella funny bro.

All I have to do is get the badge off my Daihatsu Charade G200 and sticker on the back like so..

And stick it on My 2007 Toyota Yaris YRS.

Daihatsu has some revvy engine though.Pretty fun to drive around in
Old 09-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #83
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
I gotta ask this question...what American cars do they even sell in Australia? And have you ever been in an American car?

I've been in plenty of $hitboxes in my life and the Malaysian's, Russians, Czech, and Chinese are the clear winners of crap cars. Hell most Japanese cars excluding the big 3(Honda, Toyota, Nissan) are pretty awful, I wouldn't touch a Suzuki or Mitsubishi without a 100k warranty let alone a one of the fringe brands.
Don't get me wrong there is some great American Automobile.But I can't help but every time I think American cars.I always picture these rides the hood thugs, cholos, crips and blood ride in.Call me ignorant.They have wings at the back.Wtf? do they fly or something.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #84
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
I'm in complete agreement with bronsin here regarding all the extra "tacked" on stuff on cars that make them less and less reasonably priced.

The Echo, Yaris' predecessor, did not have air bags, abs, nor traction control. It was inexpensive and reliable, but common sense also revealed that such a small car would not be as safe as a bigger car if it were in a serious accident. People still bought them. Some who crashed in them were hurt, some even killed, but I see a lot of Echos still around, so +1 for defensive driving and safe driving habits.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with raising the bar on safety, but sometimes I think we've gone a little too far. For example (re: child booster seats):

California Law (Effective 01/01/2012):
Children under the age of 8 or under (who are shorter than 4' 9") must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.

I remember clacking heads with my sister and brother in my dad's old Lincoln that didn't have any belts. Now I have to keep my 2 boys in their car seats until they are 8 or taller than 4' 9".
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #85
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:

I think i'll stick with my Korean Chevy that's hard loaded with all the electric goods, plus 10 air bags, abs, traction and stability control for an otd price of $14,454.00

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #86
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Quote:
Don't get me wrong there is some great American Automobile.But I can't help but every time I think American cars.I always picture these rides the hood thugs, cholos, crips and blood ride in.Call me ignorant.They have wings at the back.Wtf? do they fly or something.
Remember those cars were built and designed back in the 50's when styling and tastes were different, I mean I think Utes are the ugliest things known to man but the ozzies seem to love them so to each their own.

LOL and I'm not a big fan of low riders but its kind of a bad example of a cholo or gansta car because your more likely gonna see them cruising in something like this...

or this

I mean don't get me wrong the big 3 have their share of terrible cars built cheaply but they also have their share of great cars but they are no where near are horrid as some of the things being pumped out around the world. I would avoid most Chevy(Holden) or Ford products because of how cheaply made they were not because its a death trap. To be brutally honest I would buy a PT cruiser before I even took a look at a Geely, Chery, or GAC made car because at least I know with the PT cruiser that Chrysler will at least make it to 100k whereas I can't say the same for any vehicle built by the above companies.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #87
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
I'm in complete agreement with bronsin here regarding all the extra "tacked" on stuff on cars that make them less and less reasonably priced.

The Echo, Yaris' predecessor, did not have air bags, abs, nor traction control. It was inexpensive and reliable, but common sense also revealed that such a small car would not be as safe as a bigger car if it were in a serious accident. People still bought them. Some who crashed in them were hurt, some even killed, but I see a lot of Echos still around, so +1 for defensive driving and safe driving habits.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with raising the bar on safety, but sometimes I think we've gone a little too far. For example (re: child booster seats):

California Law (Effective 01/01/2012):
Children under the age of 8 or under (who are shorter than 4' 9") must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.

I remember clacking heads with my sister and brother in my dad's old Lincoln that didn't have any belts. Now I have to keep my 2 boys in their car seats until they are 8 or taller than 4' 9".
Agreed. And it is only SLIGHTLY less silly than the law it replaced. The major anchor of the law it replaced was weight. I had to make sure my little cousin used my car seat (also in California) far longer than she would have had to in other states because she didn't meet the weight requirement. She's very athletic. Her mother has held age group records in major triathlons. She could have escaped the old law earlier by gaining weight just for the sake of gaining weight. Her mother was NOT going to let that happen.

I too agree with Bronsin re unnecessary items driving up the cost of cars (as I've stated in other posts), but I don't think he should have included airbags and ABS on his list (as I've stated in other posts).
Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #88
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
The Echo, Yaris' predecessor, did not have air bags, abs, nor traction control. ".

ECHOs did have airbags. I think ABS WAS an option but you very seldom see ABS on an ECHO.

LOVE that car! Probably the BEST small car ever made all around.

I notice the ads for the new Toyota minicar the iQ stress it has, what, 11 airbags?

They also go out of their way to "luxurize" that car.

A shame! I might buy one if only it wasnt MORE than a Yaris!

I think airbags and ABS obscure the REAL way to safe driving and that is what they call DEFENSIVE DRIVING. Drive like you want (others) to live!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #89
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
As for chinese made cars...

From a society in which every major industry has government ties... and gets caught trying to import encapsulated ground up babies/fetus pills to Korea (even they have standards).

Then they miss the point of international scrutiny completely by stating the following to mitigate the bad PR: #1) It was an underground business that the gov't has nothing to do with (kinda like they're standard line with pirated / knock off goods); #2) That the babies/fetuses were already dead (from still-births and abortions) before they were dried on hot plates, then ground up and put into pill capsules (basically, they're still not getting why everyone is still cringing).

First off, as a matter of principle, I don't think I'd buy a Chinese car just because there are too many examples of "profit at all cost", reminiscent of the games the tobacco companies played back in the day.

Second, I have zero faith in the final product, and although I don't have proof, I think the majority of them were made with every corner cut. See above comment about the "cancer" smell of one of these cars.

And if by some miracle the car doesn't self destruct and kill everyone on board, try getting parts for it in a few years. Chinese companies have a tendency to disappear whenever something goes wrong, then magically spring up again under a new name. This limits their accountability, so that thousands/millions of customers can pound sand when things don't work out.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #90
junorico24

I was dropping off my significant other to the station. On the Way I saw a Chery J3 parked along the road ( must be one of the first customers) So I decided to drive past the dealer and sadly there was no action in the sales yard. Well, it's only Wednesday.Great Wall is doing great with their workman pick ups and SUV.They are every where in Sydney.We will all be driving Chinese cars in the future.It's inevitable.