Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #91
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
A lot of Kona is brewed here in Portland by Widmer.

I recently drank a New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red. God's gift to alcohol. It's one of my all-time favorite beers.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #92
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
It that this thread didn't develop into what I know it can!

Well, I figured I should bump it back up to the front with a little update with my beer travels.

In addition to the first post....

New breweries attended:
  • Miller (Milwaukee, WI)
  • Anchor Brewing (San Francisco, CA)

• Lagunitas (Petaluma, CA)

• Marin Brewing (Larkspur, CA)

Repeat visits/Special beer trips:
  • Moylan's (Novato, CA)
  • Russian River Brewery (Santa Rosa, CA):
Every February they release Pliny the Younger (a triple IPA) only at their brewpub. If you check it out on rate beer or any site, it is one of the highest rated beers you will come across. I decided that I HAD to be there for this year's release! The brewery had a record number of people turn out for this release, including people who drove from the East coast and those who travelled all the way from Europe. By 7pm, the taps ran dry (which was hooked directly to the brewing tanks). They never imagined they would run out of the beer the first day.

Pliny the Younger: Triple IPA @ 10.75% sold only in 1/2 pints.

The line at 10:30am Friday 2/5/10 (brewery opens at 11am)

Pliny the Younger:

A view from the bar:

Finally, the line around 12:30pm after we had our couple of pints and filled a growler to-go. :)

KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #93
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
I was just thinking about this thread :)

Next time you're in the neighborhood, be sure to let us know! Put a post up in the California forum and maybe we'll try to have a car meet. If not, some of us will probably join you anyway for a pizza or a trip to a local brewery.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #94
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I was just thinking about this thread :)

Next time you're in the neighborhood, be sure to let us know! Put a post up in the California forum and maybe we'll try to have a car meet. If not, some of us will probably join you anyway for a pizza or a trip to a local brewery.
Definitely! I have a friend who teaches at SFSU, so we always stop by when we're in SF. Plus, I just love the city!

There's definitely more places we need to hit! Rogue, 21st Amendment, and I heard the Beach Chalet is a great place for food and great drinks.

I noticed the Painted Ladies in your sig... are you close to Alamo Square?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #95
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZGRL View Post
Definitely! I have a friend who teaches at SFSU, so we always stop by when we're in SF. Plus, I just love the city!

There's definitely more places we need to hit! Rogue, 21st Amendment, and I heard the Beach Chalet is a great place for food and great drinks.

I noticed the Painted Ladies in your sig... are you close to Alamo Square?
No, I'm not This photo was taken during Bamboo's visit (bamboo is the YarisWorld panda traveler (see the sticky thread above ^)
Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #96
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I have a friend who teaches at SFSU
As did my father for over 30 years (Art Dept)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #97
Vioz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Vioz
my #1 favorite beer is george killians so yummy :D

Vioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #98
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
What kind of art? Painting? Sculpting? Design?

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 AM   #99
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
No, I'm not This photo was taken during Bamboo's visit (bamboo is the YarisWorld panda traveler (see the sticky thread above ^)
Oh I know about Bamboo... I'm on the waiting list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Awesome! A good friend of mine who I know via motorcycles moved up there and now teaches nursing.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #100
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Recent favorites of mine are Hoegaarden and when that's not available, Blue Moon. They're very similar and great summertime brews. And of course I'm partial to Spotted Cow (most varieties) and Leinenkugal...both Wisconsin based. That Summer Shandy is great on a hot day.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #101
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytm4XaRUuiE
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #102
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
Most of the time I go for Miller or Budweiser - but recently I've been drinking a Danish Beer called Faxe Strong - it's in a black can - and is 8% alcohol content - usually goes for $2.32 CDN.
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #103
jmjonesey

Drives: Red 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to jmjonesey
whew, lots of beer here, I go to a nice bar where they give you your own glass when you have tried 20 of their beers, and a plaque on the wall when you down them all. Lots of things I would have never tried! My favorite are all the IPAs, and a blackberry beer too, cant remember what it was called tho :-/ On a usual at home drinking night, its usually just Yeungling.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #104
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjonesey View Post
whew, lots of beer here, I go to a nice bar where they give you your own glass when you have tried 20 of their beers, and a plaque on the wall when you down them all. Lots of things I would have never tried! My favorite are all the IPAs, and a blackberry beer too, cant remember what it was called tho :-/ On a usual at home drinking night, its usually just Yeungling.
Sounds like an awesome bar. If you like IPAs, seek out Russian River's Pliny the Elder (double IPA), Moylan's Hopsickle (triple IPA), or Victory's Hop Devil (I think it's a single IPA). Three great go-to IPAs.

Sam Adams has a Blackberry Wit (wheat style) beer that's pretty good. Otherwise there's a Cascade Blackberry Ale (Belgian style). I think those are the only blackberry beers I can think of off the top of my head. Of course, Lambic/Framboise are popular in fruit flavors like that, but I mostly know of them in the popular raspberry flavors. The ciders I've come across are usually apple, pear, or berry.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #105
jmjonesey

Drives: Red 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to jmjonesey
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZGRL View Post
Sounds like an awesome bar. If you like IPAs, seek out Russian River's Pliny the Elder (double IPA), Moylan's Hopsickle (triple IPA), or Victory's Hop Devil (I think it's a single IPA). Three great go-to IPAs.

Sam Adams has a Blackberry Wit (wheat style) beer that's pretty good. Otherwise there's a Cascade Blackberry Ale (Belgian style). I think those are the only blackberry beers I can think of off the top of my head. Of course, Lambic/Framboise are popular in fruit flavors like that, but I mostly know of them in the popular raspberry flavors. The ciders I've come across are usually apple, pear, or berry.
mmmm sounds good, almost done with my day job too!

I tried this one time: http://www.stonebrew.com/ruin/ Lets just say not for the faint of heart
Old 07-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #106
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
OP! Excellent choices of beer favorites...

I would say my favorites are the IPA's also, followed by a close second the Belgians! You are very fortunate that you have some decent Western breweries in your general area! We got some good ones here in PA too.

My favorite for IPA is Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown, PA. The HopDevil IPA... Mmmm. I love it when I head out to Philly area, too bad I don't know anyone who lives there! http://victorybeer.com/

We have a decent one here in State College called Otto's Brewery. It's small and they only have several beers, but wow... the "Double D IPA" is awesome! And when they make the "Triple D" I'm in heaven:-) I fill up two growlers everytime I go there...
http://www.ottospubandbrewery.com/in...&id=3&Itemid=4

My all time favorite for IPA comes out of Boston, MA. Harpoon's Leviathan Imperial IPA. Paramount IMHO! The balance of hops along with the correct malt balance... what a flavor to the palate. And it's not weak. The alcohol by volume is 10%, with IBU's of 122! Can't wait to visit Boston... maybe I'll take the 8 hr trip in my Yaris soon:-)
http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index....Beer/pid/28467

My favorite when it comes down to Belgian beer bar (love those Monks and those yummy Trappist hops) is located less than 130 mi away... Sharp's Edge Belgian Bar in Pittsburgh, PA. I go to the Emporium... my friend lives one block away... Yay! Not only do they have hundreds of bottled beers from around the world, they have 30 Belgium Ales solely on tap! My favorite Belgian bottle there is simply "Orval"... Notre-Dame d'Orval... Only one beer made by that brewery. IMHO, one of the best Belgian beers and from the oldest Trappist breweries in the world. Dry, but the flavor changes in your mouth as you drink. Check out the "Taps" and "Bottles" from the Beer Emporium...
http://www.sharpedgebeer.com/beer.htm

Thank you for posting this awesome thread!

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #107
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
Recent favorites of mine are Hoegaarden and when that's not available, Blue Moon. They're very similar and great summertime brews. And of course I'm partial to Spotted Cow (most varieties) and Leinenkugal...both Wisconsin based. That Summer Shandy is great on a hot day.
Leinenkugal - FTW! I like the Creamy Dark... Madison is a great town!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #108
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
I was in WI last October (Kenosha, Milwaukee, Green Bay, and others cities in between). I tried Spotted Cow while I was there and some of the Leinenkugal brews. :) I love the Berry Weiss. Bummed I can't find it out here!