Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?
 
CASTREX's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 1,287
As far as i have read in diferent websites, Amsoil is the bes syn Oil out there. Including for our cars.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
jouslee
 
Drives: White 2007 2 Door hatch Yaris
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rowland Heights, CA
Posts: 22
I don't know man... I like the purple stuff (Royal Purple) but I guess it's because Royal Purple burns clean therefore works well in rotaries, man I miss my rotary. But looking at Amsoil, and 35,000 mile oil changes, it is quite tempting.

I've also heard of this oil called Schaffer's oil (Not sure if I spelled it correctly) you guys might want to look it up. Basically, there are metal molecules in the oil and it pretty much helps seal the oil by filling the tiny gaps in the part of the block that the cylinders are moving up and down (Sorry for my lack of correct terminolgy, I'm from rotory world) therefore better preventing blowback (When exaust gasses go past the oil rings and into the oil). You must see the diagram to fully comprehend this illustration. I personally am quite suspicious because of the metal molecules in the oil but perhaps one of you may be bold enough use it in your yaris. If so PLEASE testify of the products effectiveness.

Thanks
-Josh
jouslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
mikeukrainetz
 
mikeukrainetz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouslee View Post
I don't know man... I like the purple stuff (Royal Purple) but I guess it's because Royal Purple burns clean therefore works well in rotaries, man I miss my rotary. But looking at Amsoil, and 35,000 mile oil changes, it is quite tempting.

I've also heard of this oil called Schaffer's oil (Not sure if I spelled it correctly) you guys might want to look it up. Basically, there are metal molecules in the oil and it pretty much helps seal the oil by filling the tiny gaps in the part of the block that the cylinders are moving up and down (Sorry for my lack of correct terminolgy, I'm from rotory world) therefore better preventing blowback (When exaust gasses go past the oil rings and into the oil). You must see the diagram to fully comprehend this illustration. I personally am quite suspicious because of the metal molecules in the oil but perhaps one of you may be bold enough use it in your yaris. If so PLEASE testify of the products effectiveness.

Thanks
-Josh

Those types of oils / additives I think are made more for engines high mileage, loose rings and worn cylinders to increase compression etc.

as far as 35000 mile oil changes... that cant be serious is it? Ill never change my oil on that schedule.

Just put mobile 1 synthetic in this afternoon and noticed the engine runs smoother, hopefully thats not just a placebo effect of trying an expensive oil.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
sleey0
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 899
Amsoil is great and all but no api/starburst which means not kosher for warranty.
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
sleey0
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 899
Holy old thread, batman! My noobness says sorry..
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
nsmitchell
 
nsmitchell's Avatar
 
Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,065
Hey everyone. I still have my 07 Yaris. I've been using synthetic Mobil-1 and my last few have been with Valvoline Synthetic. My Yaris still runs perfectly. Almost 65K miles. Zero engine problems. Valvoline Synthetic with Napa Gold Oil Filters are a match made in heaven! I've been using 5W-20 or 5W-30. I just did a trip with my wife and 2 kids from Richmond, Va to Morristown, NJ and got 39MPG. We had the air conditioning going the whole time. Not bad at all.
__________________
Other car is a 2005 Mustang Convertible 4.0L V6 Manual - Legend Lime
Get YarAss in gear!
RIP - Casey Tatum
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
nsmitchell
 
nsmitchell's Avatar
 
Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Hey everyone. I still have my 07 Yaris. I've been using synthetic Mobil-1 and my last few have been with Valvoline Synthetic. My Yaris still runs perfectly. Almost 65K miles. Zero engine problems. Valvoline Synthetic with Napa Gold Oil Filters are a match made in heaven! I've been using 5W-20 or 5W-30. I just did a trip with my wife and 2 kids from Richmond, Va to Morristown, NJ and got 39MPG. We had the air conditioning going the whole time. Not bad at all.
I also have Michelin HydroEdge tires! They are very grippy and safe, even in heavy rain!
__________________
Other car is a 2005 Mustang Convertible 4.0L V6 Manual - Legend Lime
Get YarAss in gear!
RIP - Casey Tatum
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
sleey0
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 899
Nippon ENEOS is all that goes in my engine, FWIW.

Just my .02 on an old thread:D
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Hershey
 
Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
Both are very good oils as is SHELL Full Synthetic 5w-20 . All are from the same company . No bad choices , just which one is least expensive .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
The Sin
 
Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bowling Green, OH
Posts: 6
I recently started a new job as a courier. I drive about 10,000 miles a month. I'm getting my oil changed every two weeks. I want to make the switch to synthetic. I'm thinking of going with Amsoil SAE 0W-30 Signature Series. According to the manufacturer, I can go 25,000 miles on each oil change. Does anyone have any input on this? Anyone else travel high miles like me? If so, what do you use? When I make make the switch, should I do a flush? I have just a little over 50,000 miles on my 2010 Yaris.
The Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
Happy Little Pony
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 83
Amsoil is a perfectly fine choice. If it were me, I'd run out to 7 or 8 thousand miles and then pay for an oil analysis test. That's the only way you can be sure that the oil is holding up well in your particular application.

Another thing to consider is that Amsoil says the oil will hold up for 25,000 miles, but the oil filter they spec for the 1NZFE is only rated for 15,000 miles.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
Hershey
 
Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sin View Post
I recently started a new job as a courier. I drive about 10,000 miles a month. I'm getting my oil changed every two weeks. I want to make the switch to synthetic. I'm thinking of going with Amsoil SAE 0W-30 Signature Series. According to the manufacturer, I can go 25,000 miles on each oil change. Does anyone have any input on this? Anyone else travel high miles like me? If so, what do you use? When I make make the switch, should I do a flush? I have just a little over 50,000 miles on my 2010 Yaris.
Someone we know drives about 40,000 miles a year with his 2010 YARIS 3 door bought in October of '09 and gets his oil changes at the local TOYOTA service center . Would think that oil to be MOBIL 5w-30 . Car runs fine as I know . If you want a synthetic , I'd say Pennzoil Platinum or the ULTRA when on sale or at local WAL-MART in a 5 gallon jug at around $26 . As for a conventional , the PENNZOIL yellow bottle is a stellar oil or the TOYOTA oils at your nearby TOYOTA parts department . These in a 5w-30 would be good for 5,000 > 7,500 mile O.C.. To keep your warranty until the 60,00 mile mark you'll need to get it changed every 5,000 miles . If not a concern , then a synthetic would be best value for a 7,500 > 10,000 mile interval . Let us know what you decide .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #13
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!
 
daf62757's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sin View Post
I recently started a new job as a courier. I drive about 10,000 miles a month. I'm getting my oil changed every two weeks. I want to make the switch to synthetic. I'm thinking of going with Amsoil SAE 0W-30 Signature Series. According to the manufacturer, I can go 25,000 miles on each oil change. Does anyone have any input on this? Anyone else travel high miles like me? If so, what do you use? When I make make the switch, should I do a flush? I have just a little over 50,000 miles on my 2010 Yaris.
You might be past the point of no return with respect to regular oil. I tried to switch my step daughters car over to pure synthetic and it resulted in oil leaks. The syn oil is so thin it seeps between the seals. Her car had over 100K miles so maybe yours is not too far gone. You can use the high mileage oil with is 50/50 regular and syn.

You can try 100% syn and see if it results in oil leakage. If not, go for it.

I personally use Mobil 1 0w20 and change at 10K. I have almost 60K and never had any problems.

AMSOIL is very expensive! You can usually buy Mobil 1 at Advance Auto on sale and get 5 quarts and an oil filter for around $25. After four or five of those, you have enough left overs for a free oil change.
__________________
Big Dave
Indianapolis, IN

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
ecc_33
 
ecc_33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 toyota yaris
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: OHIO
Posts: 55
my castrol edge full synth has been awesome.... i wouldn't change for anything. For that matter what ever you choose to use just stick with it. The hardest thing on a engine is switching wieghts of oil and brands often
__________________
08 toyota yaris with some big tires lol
02 chevy duramax that runs 11.63 at 116 mph in the 1/4 mile
ecc_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #15
Hershey
 
Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
The TOYOTA synthetics are a good oil that can be bought for under $6 a quart . A value for a 7,500 > 10,000 mile interval .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #16
lenzomaru
 
lenzomaru's Avatar
 
Drives: 07' Yaris S & 89' Mazda 323 LX
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 37
I would like to use syntec oil, but as a way to save money as this will extend my oil change time, i currently change my oil at 5000km (dusty roads,day temp avg 31 deg c) with syntec i believe i can go for 10,000 saving me money for oil filters and also time (as i change oil myself) My yaris takes a little under 4 qts of oil

- 4 qt of castrol 10w 30 dino oil is $30 US
- 4 qt castrol 10w 30 full syntec $53 US

Since i'll be doing 2 dino oil changes in the same amount of time (10,000km) i'll have to buy 8 qts dino oil totaling $60 US as compared to $53 US for the full syntec during the same period (10,000) also i will have to purchase and extra oil filter ($20US) and my time to change it.

so the syntec works out for me
__________________
"Cooler than the other side of the pillow"
lenzomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #17
lenzomaru
 
lenzomaru's Avatar
 
Drives: 07' Yaris S & 89' Mazda 323 LX
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 37
Switched to Amsoil 10w 30 full syntec two days ago in my yaris sedan and my wife told me that the yaris is "driving dead"...Anybody know what maybe causing this ,, i used regular dino Castrol oil before, with no problems. I switched to syntec to save some $$$ since it increases my oil change interval.

Should i leave the syntec in my car? or drain out and go back to dino?
__________________
"Cooler than the other side of the pillow"
lenzomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #18
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Caledonia Ont.
Posts: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzomaru View Post
Switched to Amsoil 10w 30 full syntec two days ago in my yaris sedan and my wife told me that the yaris is "driving dead"...Anybody know what maybe causing this ,, i used regular dino Castrol oil before, with no problems. I switched to syntec to save some $$$ since it increases my oil change interval.

Should i leave the syntec in my car? or drain out and go back to dino?
Not too sure what she means by "driving dead". When I changed to syn I noticed easier starts and smoother engine function (noise, feel, vibration etc). I just use Canadian tires Formula syn oil which is very cheap on sale. Removed my valve cover last night to replace the seal and at 138000km it look ridiculously clean and brand new. No dark oil build up any where. I change it every 8-9000km depending on if I'm doing more city driving or not and the temperature.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LB M/T options Howard2621 New YARIS Purchase Forum 1 09-22-2006 10:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.