Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #55
curik

Drives: 06 yaris AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
So I just had my water pump changed less than a month ago. Now it is failed again. Could it be cause of the NST pulley? Non dampned vibration at high rpm killing the water pump? Cause i do drive my car to redline every single day. I am afraid if i take it back this time they will claim it has to do with my aftermarket parts.
Do you mind if I ask you these questions?
-When did you install the NST pulley?
-When did the 1st water pump failure happen? (1000 miles after??)
-Do you think you know how the water pump failed? (leaking, grinding, etc)

I hope this will help everyone here to understand more about the situation. I have browsed through the pages but didn't find anything about the cause of failure of the water pump.
curik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #56
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
and STILL no good answer of why the water pump failed.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #57
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
The pulley to water pump failure isn't limited to Toyota. Honda has the same problem too, with after-market stuff.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #58
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by curik View Post
Do you mind if I ask you these questions?
-When did you install the NST pulley?
-When did the 1st water pump failure happen? (1000 miles after??)
-Do you think you know how the water pump failed? (leaking, grinding, etc)

I hope this will help everyone here to understand more about the situation. I have browsed through the pages but didn't find anything about the cause of failure of the water pump.
Okay I installed my NST pulley on my car had about 12k or so miles on it. I installed everything correctly as well as made sure the belt was not overtightend. I actually marked the position of the altenator before i loosend it with white out and double check the belt tightness after the work was done. At about 18k the water pump failed. Brought it to dealer and they replaced. I know it was leaking cause of the white spots on my driveway and the pink residue on my hood and everywhere else. I clean my engine bay once a month so this is when i really noticed it. It could have been leaking for awile but didnt get bad enough till then.

Then few weeks later about 19k i went to clean my engine bay again i noticed same thing. Not as bad as before but a bit of residue. Also my coolant resivoire is low as well. This time though the belt was overtightend slightly.

I know these toyotas do have issues from the getgo with thier water pumps. Just today a 2003 corolla and 2005 camry came into my shop for a oil change and they both had leaking water pumps. Seems to be maybe one of those "manufactured defects".

I think the fact that i drive agreesively and maybe the NST may have been a contributing factor to the premature failure. But its hard to say. To me it seems like too much of a coincidence. I think even if i didnt have the pulley it would still fail because the fact the parts are problematic from the beginning. I just think that its a possibility it may have accelerated the inevatable.

I am not tryign to stay i believe the reason for my failed water pumps are soley the cause. If you look at the title or my original post there are question marks not a period.

Last edited by YarisSedan; 09-30-2009 at 04:54 PM.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #59
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Again not a good answer. But wait no defending NST, what would you say if he puts his stock pulley on and does not go through another water pump? Then what if he puts the crank pulley back on and goes through a water pump? You still gonna be defending NST?

Hey man not to flame you or what you are trying to do here. You have posted up good info and have defended with examples but the above quote made me think can anyone tell the future? And know that after he puts the pulley back on that it is not the pulley and that is when the w/p was going to fail anyways. Not trying to defend any one party here. Everyone has posted valid points supporting both sides here. So lets stop the personal attacks and leave it at the info you posted and know that someone will come across read you info and make and educated decision.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #60
Astroman
Modded Moderator

I know you didn't come out of the gate, it was someone else who did. I didn't mean for my posts to be towards you, and wanted to share I've had 50k+ trouble free miles with my setup.

Debate is good
Old 09-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #61
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
This thread is based on pure speculation. Let's stop yammering at each other until we have more actual information to share. Sound good?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #62
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Yay! I'll try to post more clearly n stuff, I can see where things like these can get out of wack. It will be interesting to see what the shop is going to say after all this speculation and theory.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #63
talcum

Drives: Yaris 2008 3 dr 5 spd
So is the Yaris engine like my '89 Camry where when the water pump failed it leaked on the timing belt and caused it to delaminate and fail? On the Camry one didn't take a chance on letting the pump fail.

-bob
talcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #64
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
It's not thing like that
Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #65
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
I like cheese.