Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Paint dosnt seem perfect match after accident.

Its late now so ill try to post a pic up tomorrow. My bumper was painted and they blended it into the hood. Although where the bumper meets the fender i can tell a difference in color. From what i read online its very hard to match metallic colors perfectly. Also they say color on plastic shows slightly different than on metal. Is this to be expected? Kinda dissapointed.

It seems like its a slightly lighter color and the paint on the fender is darker.

Out of my front end you can see the hood and bumper are one color and fender is another

Last edited by YarisSedan; 06-24-2010 at 08:02 PM.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
same thing happened with mine. They blamed the aftermarket bumper, but you can see it on the fenders too, which weren't replaced, just fixed. I f*cken hate body shops. If you complain they say that's all they could do, unless you pay them more.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Flint mica color sometimes is hard to match perfectly, I had that experience with the my tC.

In some cases the body shop is not so good preparing the paint try getting a 2nd opinion.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
spleeping prophet

Drives: 2005 Vitz RS
Yeah, I have this happen allot also. For some reason, most body shops have trouble painting plastic and getting it right.

The body shop i used to use was good about getting it close.
spleeping prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Hmmm i guess i am gona have to live with it. He told me i could bring it back and he could blend it into the fender so its less noticible but he said because california uses water based paints so it just depends on how it drys its very difficult to get it exact.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
It's quite difficult to get a perfect match, metallic or not. Even if you have the exact OEM paint code, external factors such as UV rays change the composition of the paint over time.

Metallic paints have an additional layer of difficulty, which is the amount of flint (metal sparkly stuff) that should go into each can.

I haven't seen pics of you car yet, but there's a good chance that the paint will even out a bit more over time.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
yup... my polar white bumpers are not slightly yellowish compared to the oem paint...

but who cares that much.. If you want perfect match, do the whole car -.-
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Grandieri

Drives: 2010 Matrix
Same thing happened with our 08 xb release series. The rear bumper had to be replaced and it took the shop 2 times to get the paint right.Get a second opinion.
Grandieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
YarisSedan

Yeah i might just take it back and see what they say. I dont want them to try to blend it to the other panels i just want the current panels corrected.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Yeah i might just take it back and see what they say. I dont want them to try to blend it to the other panels i just want the current panels corrected.
There’s always a chance to make it better, the first time I got the tC's front bumper painted looked terrible, the second time looked better than the rear one with the original paint.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas13 View Post
There’s always a chance to make it better, the first time I got the tC's front bumper painted looked terrible, the second time looked better than the rear one with the original paint.
I am hoping that. Now that its bright daylight my bumper looks a pale baby blue. Not dark like the rest of the paint and its more sparkly. Like it has doule the glitter in the paint than the rest of the car so it reflects the light differently. I dont know how they could screw it up so horribly and then deliver the car to the customer and expect them not to notice. I called them up and gona bring it down after work. I want them to repaint everything and ask them strait up if they dont think they can do it right the second time let me know so i can find someone who can do it right the first time.

Not sure if im screwed at this point the insurance recomended one shop but i took it to another shop cause they did some work for me before so i thought i could trust them. Turns out i got screwed and i dont think insurance will help me now. If i end up having to go to someone else to redo it i might have to pay for the work to do it again which will probally cost me close to a thousand.

The radiator support they were supose to align i can tell is off the hood is crooked with the bumper. The hood latch is leaving scraches 1/2 a inch further down than it did before so i know its still off. They need to pull it forward but they didnt. They just painted the new bumper and threw it on leaving the underlying damage still there.

I could have just got a used bumper that was the same color and put it on myself and saved myself a buttload of money if i wanted a half ass job. And probally would have came out better in the end still.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
That sucks that they couldnt get it to match better.I had to get my rear right quarter panel replaced after someone hit me in a circle, and the shop was able to match the paint pretty good, I couldnt tell a difference.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #13
YarisSedan

Okay got back from bodyshop apparently they painted my car the wrong shade. He gave me 4 swatches of flint mica. I guess there are slight variations depending on year and type of car. He said by the color code his computer told him to paint it the color that he did but when we used the color swatches we found the exact one. Hes going to redo everything for me he said. Atleast for sure i know this time it will be right.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
NateDogg

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Wheres your grill at?
NateDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #15
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogg View Post
Wheres your grill at?
Still waiting for it to come in the mail.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #16
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I have toured a couple of car factories (Subaru and Toyota) and both said it is impossible to match the paint of a car from the factory paint. You can come close, but never replicate the factory's paint.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #17
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I believe that's true. Then, the original paint has aged somewhat already, and as the "matched" paint ages and the original paint continues to, they'll likely become unmatched again. Reds in particular are prone to fading in sunlight. All colors change.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #18
YarisSedan

Yeah but its not like he painted my car the color and it was off a little. He painted it the wrong color and as a result its a lot off. If you look at the hood its not glare or flash that makes it look that light color its the actual paint compare it to the fender. Its much lighter color and has way more metalic flake. Thats more than little bit off. To me a little bit off is up close you can kinda tell but from far away it shouldnt be really noticible. If your looking for away and something is obiviousely noticble then somethings wrong.